1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI cable length / HDMI switch

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by swbca, Apr 9, 2013.

1. swbca

swbca Cool Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Minneapolis,...
    HDMI is new to me with the new Hopper/Joey installation. In order to get NetFlix and Amazon-prime movies, I am adding a RoKu3 as a second HDMI source to a 19" Samsung in the kitchen. The TV doesn't have 2 HDMI inputs so I need to use a switch.

The question . . . I already have a 35' HDMI cable between the Joey and the TV because the Joey is located centrally in the house so it can be controlled by 3 DishTV 40.0 remote controls used in different rooms viewing modulated output.

If I add more total HDMI length (35'+5') with the switch connection near the TV, is the difference in picture quality just 'theoretical' or could I see the difference in quality. Assuming the switch is of reasonable quality. I could probably replace the 35' cable with a 25' cable if it would make a visible difference.

I suppose this is an unanswerable question

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
  3. wpsr2005

wpsr2005 New Member

Apr 10, 2013
    You can run HDMI on a high quality cable, up to 45 feet, and potentialy up to 50 without issues. You should be fine at 35 + 5, but try to use a nice high quality cable, to insure minimal issues will occur.

4. ts7

ts7 Mentor

Nov 1, 2011
    I agree - you should be OK at that distance assuming you are using high quality cable. While I have no experience with the Hopper/Joey, I have run HDMI as far as 100' with some success though I would not suggest anything over 50' without a repeater or other other extender technology.

Personally I have had good luck with the cables and gear from monoprice.com and they offer long cable lengths but there are a lot of other good sources too.

5. tommiet

tommiet Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    I have 100 feet of HDMI cable AND amplified switch feeding my tv in my bedroom from a Hopper. Full 1080i HD. Switch and cable for less than $100.00 from monoprice. Or you can use Cat5 cable/adapters for even less.