1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI Cable

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Chapper, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chapper

Chapper Legend

Jul 31, 2007
    Has anyone tested the HDMI cable that comes with the HR20 vs a Monster, Belkin or another one from another make?

Is it better? Does it change the picture? :confused: or we can´t appreciate the changes?

I ask this because I´m using the one that came with the HR20 and I don´t want to spend money in buying an expensive one if the picture doesn´t improve at all.

Regards!

2. MrKlaatu

MrKlaatu Godfather

Mar 7, 2007
    monoprice.com

3. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Don't waste your money. The HDMI cable that comes w/ the HR20 is fine. If you do feel compelled to buy a new, got to monoprice.com as previously suggested. Best value for the money. Monster is extremely expensive and many would suggest overrated.

4. SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy EOE DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
    You need to understand that "digital" cables are different than "analog" cables. There is no difference between a "cheap" digital cable (HDMI, coax audio, optical audio) and one of the fancy (read: expensive) ones. Digital either works (100%) or it doesn't.

Don't waste your money.

5. MrKlaatu

MrKlaatu Godfather

Mar 7, 2007
    Then HDMI cable runs at any distance should work.

6. SFNSXguy

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
    see next post

7. SFNSXguy

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
    Hmmm, "any distance" may be an issue. I've only done 50-foot HDMI runs (no problems) but have read that runs longer than that might be problematic. Some say long HDMI runs need "boosters" in the line.

Search net for "HDMI booster" or "HDMI amplifier" for details.

8. MrKlaatu

MrKlaatu Godfather

Mar 7, 2007
    Then they can't be 100% or nothing.

9. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    There are some good threads about this topic over at avsforum.com

10. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Longer runs may require a better cable, or at least a larger gauge conductor.

11. SFNSXguy

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
    I stand by my answer.

Those who have had difficulties with long cables have said they got zero signal until they tried a booster.

My point is that you won't get a perfect picture at 50 feet and a poor picture at 60 feet --- you would get zero picture at the point the cable was too long. There is a standard for HDMI cables.

12. BL3

BL3 Cool Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Here is a good write up on hdmi cables on gizmodo.

gizmodo.com/gadgets/hdmi-cable-battlemodo/the-truth-about-monster-cable-+-grand-finale-part-iii-282725.php

basically... • It never pays to buy a Monster cable first.

Sorry about no link, guess I need to make a few more posts to enable that option.

13. M3 Pete

M3 Pete AllStar

Jul 24, 2007
    I understand that poor signal over HDMI results in "sparklies," which means that you are getting picture, but with noise or artifacts. This suggests that it's not "all or nothing."

I bought the "expensive" monoprice cable for a 15-foot length. At $22 it's cheap compared to major brands, but more expensive than the dirt cheap monoprice economy cable. No complaints, no regrets.

14. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    And yet I have a 16' one that is useless. I get intermittent video using it. I called to complain and they sent me a second one with the same results. I wish I could remember the company, but I threw away the packaging.

15. M3 Pete

M3 Pete AllStar

Jul 24, 2007
    So you are not saying you have the monoprice cable, just that you have one of a similar length? Or are you saying it's all or nothing?

Intermittent video sounds like more than nothing. The gizmodo article showed ghosting and artifacts with the 50-foot monoprice cable. HDMI was never designed for long cable runs (marketing won over engineering), so you should use the shortest lengths you can.

16. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I've had bad experiences with a $60 RCA-branded cable (with braided metal sheathing and everything) and fantastic results with the free one from my DVD player. Just goes to show ya.

17. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    The other cool thing about monoprice is that you can get the length you need. I just redid my HT and got 1.5 foot and 3 foot HDMI cables so I don't have big messy loops behind my HT.

18. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    HDMI can probably work out to 25-30 ft with no problems. Once you get that far, you need a repeater. This is not so much of a cable problem as it is a drive strength problem of the boxes.

Bob

19. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I do not believe they are from monoprice. 90% sure. It has been months since I bought them. I just went back to component after the failure. I can use the 6' cable that came with it successfully. But it is stretched taught across the wall and not very attractive. I suppose I might join the crowd one day and try another brand. I will say I remember that I was looking for the cheapest I could find on Ebay. So thats what I got.

20. BL3

BL3 Cool Member

Aug 7, 2007
    I've also had pretty good luck with the cables from Firefold.com.

We did a group buy of about 20 different cables at work to save on shipping and no-one has any problems with any of them yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.