1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI cables for Apple TV

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Clark Kent, May 17, 2011.

1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent AllStar

May 1, 2007
    I am planning on buying one Apple TV and moving it between a few TVs in my house. Usually I use monoprice.com to buy HDMI cables. On they site they are selling HDMI cables with Ferrite Cores. Can someone explain what those are?

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    They stop electrical interference picked up by the cable itself, from traveling into your devices. Think dimmer switches, cell phone radiation, strong radio transmitters, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_choke

3. Clark Kent

Clark Kent AllStar

May 1, 2007
    Thanks, Davenlr. I have not purchased HDMI cables in a few years, and had not heard of those. Just wanted something to work with the upcoming Apple TV purchase!

4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent AllStar

May 1, 2007
    I also should have asked: if I purchased a few 6ft 28AWG High Speed HDMI Cables, will that support the data I am trying to connect between the Apple TV and the TVs/Home Theater system?

5. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Yes, their high speed HDMI cables will carry everything video. If the Apple Tv (not familiar with it) requires the ethernet back channel (HDMI 1.4?), then you will need to make sure to get those, but I do not know of any consumer device using that feature.
    I am using that exact cable you mentioned between my HDMI switcher/upconverter and the TV running full 1080p.
    ALL my HDMI cables are high speed from monoprice. I also use their toslink cables. VGA cables, DVI cables. I have *NEVER* received a bad cable from them.

6. Clark Kent

Clark Kent AllStar

May 1, 2007
    Wow, you got me there. I have no idea. Can anyone else fill us in?

7. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I have a cheap monoprice cable on my Apple TV and there's no issues.