1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI cables included or not?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Marlin Guy, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    I'm scheduled for installation of Hopper +3 on this Friday.
    Are HDMI cables included with the devices?

2. Daniel

Daniel AllStar

Feb 6, 2007
    Yes.

3. elgordo123

elgordo123 New Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Just had them installed today - Yes, HDMI is included (or composite for older/SD sets)

4. Rsmith7226

Rsmith7226 New Member

Mar 28, 2012
    That's good that they include Hdmi cables. I hate it when you buy bluray players etc and they only give you component cables!

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Probably Dish forced its own hands here because the Joeys only have HDMI and composite video output (no component)... so they would have to bring HDMI for the Joeys, and it would look bad if they didn't also bring HDMI for the Hopper.

This actually reminds me... I wonder about the HDTVs people have had issues with being incompatible with HDCP on their ViP receivers lately... and Dish has been telling them to connect with component. Has Dish addressed that with the Joeys OR will this be an unresolvable problem for those customers?

6. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    Hey, I have a friend who had that problem. I wonder if he still does.
    This would be a great reason to allow 'mixed' setups, Hopper/Joey and VIP in same house.

7. neomaine

neomaine Legend

Feb 3, 2003
    That's mostly because retail stores want it that way to be able to sell you a 5x-10x overpriced cable.

Dish has no incentive to do the same. It's very much in their best interest to provide a cable. If we can buy them at places like Monoprice or BlueJeansCable for $4/$5US then they'll simply be adding a $1/$2 item to an already high cost (multi-hundreds of $) package.

8. Apr 2, 2012 #8 of 19
    gregleg

gregleg AllStar

Jan 4, 2004
    Exactly. HDMI cables really aren't that expensive, it's just a bit of noise in the cost of the receiver as far as Dish is concerned.

9. Apr 2, 2012 #9 of 19
    356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    I remember when "Monster" was getting a 100 bucks for a 6 footer.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I feel sorry for anyone who paid $100 for a $10 cable. :)

11. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    MY first HD setup was with the vip622. HDMI cables were not supplied by Dish. The reason was... according to Dish, nothing was good enough yet.....
    Monster Cable at one time was about it, the net was new to many, most shoppers I knew were either leery or lame, credit card scams and such, or so they thought.
    I think I paid 25 bucks for my first one bought on the net for the 622, which I still have, the cable not the 622; I think that was the fall of 2006. A lot has happened very quickly.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

12. neomaine

neomaine Legend

Feb 3, 2003
    I feel bad for anyone who pays $10 for a $1 cable. :D

13. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    I have always thought that "Monster" cables were highly overpriced. :bad_nono:

14. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    I would like to hear more about this. I have an older Samsung DLP set without HDMI. I have been connecting my 622 to a Monoprice HDMI switch box, and from there to my TV with a HDMI --> DVI cable. The 622 sends video no problem, but does not send audio, (my switch box extracts digital audio to send to an AVR), so I have to use the toslink output. I recently acquired a Denon AVR 3311 receiver and the TV will not recognize the HDMI signal from it, so I am still using the switch box for now. If there are problems with the Hopper signal being recognized I may have to hold off on an upgrade until I get a new TV. Unless I can put the joey on it, and the Hopper on another TV that has HDMI...

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    DVI cannot carry audio.

16. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    I know that.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. My question is this:

Has anyone with an older TV with out HDMI had any trouble getting it to recognize the VIDEO signal from a hopper, using something like a HDMI --> DVI cable?

(The audio issue is a completely separate problem. As I stated, my switchbox extracts the audio from an HDMI signal and sends it over optical or coax to an AV receiver. This works fine for my Bluray play, DVD, and FiOS DVR. It doesn't on my 622. But again, that is a separate issue.)

17. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Bump. I still don't know the answer to this.

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Nope.
    Been a while when old monitor [Dell] didn't support HDCP.

19. PDSchweitzer

PDSchweitzer New Member

Apr 17, 2012
    My Hopper & Joeys included HDMI cables.