HDMI handshake issue HR34 through Pioneer AVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by billraff, Dec 11, 2012.

1. billraff

billraff New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    I had a Genie and two clients installed this past weekend. One of the clients seems to be suffering from a grey screen issue which I'm working on troubleshooting. The more irritating issue currently is what appears to be an hdmi handshake issue when the hdmi is routed through my Pioneer RX V871 AVR from the Genie. It seems more prevalent on on 1081i sources. It is seen on the Panasonic plasma as a quick flicker of greenish yellow across part of the screen. I had seen this previously on my older Directv dvr and it was resolved with a firmware update some time back. Is there a known issue/thread I should watch on this? If not, I'll contact Directv but wanted to be sure it's not a known issue before I do. Just to conclude, the issue only happens when going through the receiver. Thanks.

2. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Is it only when you change the channel, or is it something that shows up during play of a show?

If it is just at channel change, it is probably just some hdmi handshaking going on and shouldn't be a problem.

3. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    There seem to be an intermittent handshake issue with the HR34 and Yamaha receivers. In those cases, the sound goes away.

I can't speak to your Pioneer but I wouldn't get too worked up over a brief flash in any case.

4. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    Oh that's just wonderful [​IMG]

It would just have to be Yamaha's that had problems.

As old as HDMI is you would think they would have all of the problems ironed out by now.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Try running an optical or digital coax to the Yamaha.
    We have 2 hooked up in this manner here ( not to an HR34 ).

6. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    HDMI is a moving target. We are now on HDMI 1.4. Specs change. Nothing is set in stone.

I would hate to be DirecTV, or Pioneer or Yamaha for that matter. To make a product only you can define work flawlessly with everything else on the planet would be frustrating as heck.

And I did say the problem is intermittent. I haven't experienced it at home for a couple of weeks now. That makes it even harder to troubleshoot.

7. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    I gave up on the Pioneer VSX21-TXH and HR24 combo with HDMI connection. Whenever switching from HD to SD there was no audio. Only a re-handshake would get the audio on an SD channel. Only happened after the stupid useless HD GUI. Switched to Marantz receivers and now it is only the huge handshake delay on the receivers along with an additional audio delay on pause to play on the 34 but not the 24. What a useless bunch of junk the HDCP is.

And please please bring back the SD GUI which eliminates all sorts of HD to SD problems.

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Jerry

I believe you can eliminate much of your frustration by going HDMI to the TV and optical or coax back to your AVR. Or have you tried that already?

9. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    I know this will sound silly but did you try different HDMI cables?
    My last TV a LG I only had one HDMI cable that would work withit and my old Panasonic BluRay player.
    Every other cable AI tried gave me issues. Even mid-tier Monster Cables.

10. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    To the OP, the model number you gave is not a Pioneer model number, it is a Yamaha, or at least when I tried to look it up as a pioneer the only thing I got was some comparisons of the Yamaha RX-V871 to some Pioneer models.

On your AVR (whichever brand/model it actually is), is there a setting for Video output resolution? On my Denon there is, and it defaults to 'auto' which means it will decide which resolution to use. That adds more complexity to the handshake imo.

If it has that, try setting the video output resolution to 1080p if that is your TVs native resolution, and see if that cures the problem.