1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI Issues: Video/Audio : 0xD8

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Earl Bonovich, Oct 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 4, 2006 #1 of 95
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Okay... Rules for this thread:
    New Version, new start....

1) Describe the Problem you are having, and any steps you can to do recreate it.
    2) What Make and Model TV you have.... And if your TV has a "software"/firmware number or something else, that would be helpfull too.
    3) Did the problem occur in a previous version?
    4) Is it worse or the same in this version

Here is the link to the old VIDEO Only Thread
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=64164

HDMI - 0xCC Discussion
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=64430
    HDMI - 0xD1 Discussion
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=65437

2. Oct 4, 2006 #2 of 95
    pappys

pappys Godfather

Jul 26, 2006
    Ok, new issue. My TV did not find the video input via HDMI this morning. This is the 1st time this has happened. I had to unplug the HDMI and plug it back in to make it come on.
    2) What Make and Model TV you have? Dell 4200 plasma
    3)Did the problem occur in a previous version? No
    4) Is it worse or the same in this version, Never happened before.

OXD8 downloaded this morning. I hope I don't have the issue all of you had. I hope this was a 1 time thing.

3. Oct 4, 2006 #3 of 95
    911medic

911medic Godfather

Aug 28, 2006
    A blatant cut-n-paste from the previous software releases' "HDMI Issues" threads:
    PLLLLLEEEEEAAAASSSSSEEEE, D*, figure this out so I can use HDMI!!!! Purty please?

EDIT: Here are a couple of pictures to demonstrate the problem.

First, a standard definition channel displayed via component input. It shows in proper 4:3 aspect ratio:

[​IMG]

Next, the same channel displayed via HDMI input. It has caused the "16:9 Enhanced" mode to kick in, so the TV outputs only a 16:9 image onto the screen:

[​IMG]

4. Oct 4, 2006 #4 of 95
    911medic

911medic Godfather

Aug 28, 2006
    Should this be stickied, for now? I think the previous ones were...

5. Oct 4, 2006 #5 of 95
    Mike770

Mike770 Legend

Mar 1, 2004
    I just received the 0xD8 update.

1) Have not been able to use my HDMI since I got the HR20. THis version did not fix anything for me. My tv just states "connecting..." then "no signal" just flashes on the screen. Component works fine though. My HR10-250 worked fine via HDMI.

2) I have an LG 37 in. HDTV. Model number 37LC2D

3) HDMI hasn't worked in any version.

4) As stated above it never worked.

6. Oct 4, 2006 #6 of 95
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes, it should have been... I missed the check box in my haste to get it up before leaving for work

7. Oct 4, 2006 #7 of 95
    Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Just for the heck of it, Mike, try what seemed to work for me:

Unplug HDMI -- with component hooked up, do the Red Button reboot -- when everything's back up and stable, completed reboot -- plug in the HDMI and try the box.

8. Oct 4, 2006 #8 of 95
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Just curious, but if component works fine then why worry about HDMI at all? The PQ really isn't better with HDMI in the vast majority of cases. I'd just keep it hooked up with component and enjoy. :)

Just wondering.

9. Oct 4, 2006 #9 of 95
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    4 cables in some cases (the 3 for video, and 1 for audio)
    Vs, 1 for HDMI.

Easier to hide (either in a wall, or stick track) a single thin HDMI.

I looked behind my AV rack yesterday.... oh I can't wait till everything is 100% hdmi so instead of about 100 wires back there I will have about 10... :)

10. Mike770

Mike770 Legend

Mar 1, 2004

I will certainly give this a try tonight and report back.

Thanks

11. Mike770

Mike770 Legend

Mar 1, 2004

That is the exact reason why I would like to hook my TV via HDMI.

The PQ is fine. The snake nest behind the wall unit does not meet the WAF :) and forget about hanving to plug and unplug wires. That in itself is such a hassle.

12. gusjohnson

gusjohnson AllStar

Sep 29, 2006
    The reason I like HDMI is less about the cables and more about the connector. My component cables all run together after a few inches anyway - so it'a bit thicker but it's really like one cable. However, having to plug in the 5 connectors into the correct leads is a real pain - especially when you are trying to reach around and would prefer not to have to pull out the component to verify which lead is which.

13. bigdeps

bigdeps AllStar

Sep 30, 2006
    1) Describe the Problem you are having, and any steps you can to do recreate it.
    -Onkyo a/v reciever issue. This update fixed some things. Audio is now fine, DD is working great. Video is still intermittent but now its comes and goes once every 10 seconds instead of every 2. Also the video is now that pinkish color that other peeps have described.
    2) What Make and Model TV you have.... And if your TV has a "software"/firmware number or something else, that would be helpfull too.
    -Onkyo TX-SR604S
    3) Did the problem occur in a previous version?
    -Yes on all versions
    4) Is it worse or the same in this version
    -Its alot better with this version however now lets finish the fix with the next update! Thanks

14. thiscopy

thiscopy AllStar

Sep 12, 2006
    Bigdeps, isn't that the brand new Onkyo Receiver? I have a different Onkyo and have had the pink overtones since day one. I can't wait to get home and see if the update fixed mine. Now that would be ironic.

I guess the one good thing that came out of your situation is possible proof that the HR20 software does have something to do with the pink problem. Think about it, if they screwed it up, they can unscrew it. Assuming of course you did not have the pink with HDMI to begin with.

15. bigdeps

bigdeps AllStar

Sep 30, 2006
    Yea the Onkyo is brand new and Onkyo swears that the reciever is fine and its the HR-20. Does the H20 work fine with your reciever? The CSR says that all directv recievers besides the HR-20 work fine.

However the pink screen is a new thing since this update. Atleast I think it is.

16. matto

matto Banned User

Sep 1, 2006
    Knowing how HDMI and DVI-D work, it would be very, very, VERY difficult for a device in the signal chain (ESPECIALLY a passive device) to alter the overall color cast of the video. Doing this sort of color correction would actually take a large amount of processing power.

17. bigdeps

bigdeps AllStar

Sep 30, 2006
    Thats kinda what the CSR told me from Onkyo. He was saying to alter the image in any way would require the signal be changed and there devices only repeat the signal that it recieves. So it has to be Directv.

18. thiscopy

thiscopy AllStar

Sep 12, 2006
    Everything worked fine with the HR10-250. I called Onkyo about the pink. They said, "yep, that's a problem". But have no solution. So we all just wait.

19. thiscopy

thiscopy AllStar

Sep 12, 2006
    The Onkyo DVD player connected via HDMI-HDMI to the Onkyo A/V Receiver did the same pink thing. However, I was able to fix it through the DVD's setup menu's. I changed a selection from RGB Full Spectrum to just RGB and it fixed it.

Is anyone having this problem with HDMI-HDMI through an A/V Receiver? Or is it just HDMI-DVI?

20. matto

matto Banned User

Sep 1, 2006
    the only thing i can think of is that there is some sort of device-specific profile information that the HR20 uses to color match, so if the display device (or other device in the chain) says it has a different white point, maybe you'd get this result. I'd be really, really skeptical on whether the HR20 does this sort of processing though. I'd chalk up color cast differences like this to decoder differences (the one feeding the component outs in the HR20 vs. the ones decoding HDMI/DVI in your TV)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.