1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI powered 2 way splitter & HR 20-700

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by hookemfins, Jun 18, 2010.

1. hookemfins

hookemfins Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    I purchased an Ultra HDMI powered 2 way splitter. DTV DVD HR 20-700. TV's are Samsung DLP 46" and Vizio 19". Vizio is mirroring what the DVR is sending out. It's not used often but just to watch when in kitchen.

Problem: When switching channels there seems to be an extended delay on the Samsung TV. Delay can be up to 10 seconds or so. I'll see "no signal" for a few seconds then the picture shows.

Am I looking at a software issue, DVR problem, Samsung or powered splitters aren't good?

Thanks

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Do you have native on? That can really slow down channel changes.

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    A good guess would be the splitter. Pay a lot for it?

Rich

4. laciii

laciii AllStar

Feb 6, 2008
    I have a similar set up but use a ViewHD 2 Port HDMI 1x2 Powered Splitter with a 55" Samsung LED TV and an Emerson 30". I have a 45' HDMI cable running upstairs from my HDMI splitter. I have two HD DVRs HR21 and HR20. The HR21 is hooked to the splitter. The channel change time is about the same on both. It does take a while sometimes for the channel to change on both DVRs. I attribute it to the DVR, not the splitter. I've had great luck with mine.

5. hookemfins

hookemfins Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    Bingo, I generally keep my DVR's on native off and the HR 20-700 was on. Turned it off and made some quick channel changes with improved speed.

I'll post back if it acts up again but so far so good.

Thanks Bob and all who answered.

6. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I have a Monoprice component switcher, and it feeds TV set A. The same DVRs feed TV set B via HDMI. When I have a DVR on TV A and change either to or from the HDMI feed on TV B, it mutes the video a couple times (but over in 2 seconds) on both the HDMI and the component outputs. I attribute that to HDMI handshake which also has the built in ability to mute component as a method of plugging the analog hole, a feature thankfully not yet implemented by DTV. IOW, until the HDMI handshake authenticates a proper connection, it also won't allow component.

Sorry, I realize that this is probably a different, if similar, issue. But food for thought, and I am on native and haven't seen it make any difference.

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I bought an HDMI switcher a couple of months ago and hooked up an HR, a Sony upscaling DVD player and a Roku box. The switch came with a remote, but was supposed to default to the device that you turned on automatically. When I bought it, my first thought was, "This I gotta see."

It's so screwed up, it's funny. If I turn on the HR, the switch turns on the Sony upscaler and defaults to that. I have to turn off the upscaler to get the HR to work. I doesn't recognize the Roku box unless I use the remote and then it...turns on the upscaler and I have to use the upscaler's remote to shut it off and then the Roku comes up. I was gonna return it, but I get a kick out of it. :lol:

What I don't understand is how it turns on the Sony upscaler. That really puzzles me.

Rich

8. mikeinthekeys

mikeinthekeys Godfather

Feb 9, 2007
    I have been using a 4x2 HDMI powered switch (Cables To Go, I think) for a couple of years. The HR20-700 in my view is not the issue. When any change is made, say switch my projector to a different input while the TV is on the HR, I get a brief (2 second) video drop out while the box cycles. I am pretty sure this is a handshake issue since the switch has to establish connection with both displays. I have a friend who has a similar switch which has the exact symptom. For me, the usefulness of the switch more than outweighs the brief interruption, and I have long since accepted it as "normal." Good luck with your setup.