1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI Splitter/Amp vs Component

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Tuquala, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Feb 4, 2011 #1 of 28
    Tuquala

Tuquala Mentor

Jan 9, 2007
    Looking for a recommendation for a good, fair priced splitter/amp to run 2 tv's from my DVR. The run will be approx 30-35ft, in a crawl space. Looking for one that doesn't need to have both tv's on, or have any problems turning on with one tv, or the wife will have her lack of technical expertise slap me in the face!!

I have considered just a long HDMI cable to the far tv, and component cables to the one by the DVR. Not sure I want a large bundle of cables running up the wall since I already have one set of component cables running from a vcr/dvd recorder hanging there already!! Also, would a 30-35ft HDMI cable show any major drop in quality to the far tv (42" plasma)?

Looking to do for low dollars, but not super cheap.

Thanks in advance!!

Gerry

2. Feb 4, 2011 #2 of 28
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Make sure you get the largest AWG rated HDMI cables available for long runs. Amazon.com has them at fair prices as do many other sites. You won't see any PQ difference.

Rich

3. Feb 4, 2011 #3 of 28
    mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    This is exactly what I did about a month ago. I ordered this 35' flat 24awg in-wall rated hdmi cable from monoprice for about $23. They also have the round cables for the same price, but I used flat so that I could use plastic (electrical) staples to hold the cable to the joists in my crawlspace. They also have 22awg hdmi cables in the $30-$45 range. My tv using the long hdmi cable is only 19", but I can't tell any difference in pq.

:)

4. Feb 4, 2011 #4 of 28
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I ordered an HDMI Splitter from Monoprice along with a 60' HDMI Cable and then split the HDMI to my Bedroom Plasma and my Bathroom LCD and it works Great.

5. Feb 4, 2011 #5 of 28
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Yeah.....some of us caught that.... :D:lol:

6. Feb 4, 2011 #6 of 28
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    And just what is Wrong with having an LCD in the Bathroom so my wife can watch TV while she puts on her makeup and does her hair??? :D

7. Feb 4, 2011 #7 of 28
    marquitos2

marquitos2 Legend

Jan 10, 2004
    Try Amazon.com they have good bargains on switchers and spliters.

8. Feb 4, 2011 #8 of 28
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Seriously, you don't have a TV in your bathroom?

Rich

9. Feb 4, 2011 #9 of 28
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    He's a Slacker!!! They think this is a Luxury I guess!!! :lol:

Poor Thing!! Maybe we can get up a collection for him and buy him a Bathroom LCD!!! I know his wife would love it.

10. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    3D, Blu Ray, and HD DVR of course... :D

Amazing how time flies...

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Of course.

Rich

12. futurerebeldr

futurerebeldr AllStar

Jun 8, 2010
    I just did this same thing this morning. I didn't want to have to purchase another receiver, or pay the monthly fee. So I bought a 40' HDMI 24AWG cable from monoprice and some hdmi keystone jacks. This goes from one bedroom, where I have a receiver, to my office. The receiver connects to the local tv with component, and then the hdmi run feeds the office tv (keeps me from having to deal with any of the HDMI splitters).

Granted you have to watch the same thing on both tv's, but works perfect since they are seldom on at the same time. Spent $50 and saved myself $72/yr + $100 for another HD receiver.

I notice no signal degradation whatsoever with the 40' cable in place plus a short 6' HDMI jumper on each end.

13. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    You won't. Being digital, it either works perfectly, or it doesn't work at all. But there is that in-between area where things work for a second then don't, which is the edge of the digital cliff.

Component cables, while starting out with the same PQ as HDMI, will degrade over distance, but not enough to notice, or at least not enough that can't be compensated completely for by a touch of brightness, chroma (color level), and sharpness (at least up to about 300 ft). At 40 ft it probably will not matter. That said, I have seen component hookups that displayed minor reflection issues, which also will not show up on HDMI.

14. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    I have an HDMI switch with CEC engine 1.3b and i am running 2 DVR'S and 1 BLU-Ray player. I thought that when i switch from 1 unit to another using the TV remote the switcher would do that automatically but it doesn't.I followed the directions but to no avail.Is this switcher supposed to do that?

15. jcwest

jcwest Legend

May 3, 2006
    I thought everybody had an HD TV in the bathroom.

J C

16. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    How do you switch from one to another with the TV remote? Doesn't everything come in on one input from the switch? So why would you ever switch inputs on the TV?

You have to switch sources using the HDMI switch remote. It switches automatically according to the last source you turned on. If all your sources are on all the time, it has no way to read your mind to determine which source to show.

When you get everything working, get a universal remote and put the switching commands in your macros and everything will work seamlessly. You've created a complex setup which will require some programming to make work. In the mean time you'll have to use a couple of remotes.

17. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    I have two dvrs, an Oppo dvd player and a PS3 running into an HDMI switch. From there, they go HDMI to my Denon AVR. I have the HDMI switch programmed on my Pronto remote to change inputs when I select the various devices.
    I suspect that your only solution is to either select the device manually (using the switch's remote) or to get a universal remote that you can set up with macros.

18. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Use a Universal Remote such as my Harmony One or Harmony 1000 and let it also switch the HDMI Switch to the appropriate Device.

19. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    Does anyone make an HDMI switcher that recognizes when i switch from one DVR or Blu-Ray to another?

20. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Not that I know of but the easiest way to do it is just buy a Harmony One Universal Remote and program it to do the switching for you when you switch from one device to another. Mine switches to 4 different devices and changes the HDMI Switch at the same time.

This is the way everyone that I know does it.