HDMI splitter

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Stevies3, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Stevies3

Stevies3 Legend

Jul 22, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I'd like for one receiver, C61-700 to output simultaneously to two 4k tv's,. We have two seldom used bedrooms each containing a 4k TV. Can anyone recommend a reliable HDMI splitter preferably one input with two outputs?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I don't remember the model, but I recall it been posted here.

3. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    MONOPRICE

Monoprice Blackbird 4K 2x2 HDMI Matrix - Monoprice.com

4. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    That may be overkill for what he needs. It handles two inputs and two outputs. He only needs one input, like this one at half the price:

Monoprice Blackbird 4K Mini 1x2 HDMI Splitter, USB-Powered - Monoprice.com

I will add a caveat, though. I've had several of these from different sources, including Monoprice, and they've all worked for at least a year but eventually stop working. Don't know the truth of this, but I've read that this is due to the cheap units copying HDCP certification from actual certified units, and that the old certification expires eventually.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I gave up on the splitters years ago for that reason. Never had one that worked well and they never last. Passive devices are the worst, I would never buy one that doesn't come with a wall wart. This is not the kind of device you want to try to save money on. If you absolutely have to have one, I'd suggest buying an expensive one and hope for the best. No matter what I did, no matter how much I paid, they all failed. But, it's been years since I've tried one, maybe they're better now.

Rich

6. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Yes unfortunately the vast majority of HDMI splitters are cheapos made in China using forged HDCP keys. Two ways around that, one buy another cheapo splitter when yours stops working, or buy a brand name device for several times more that uses a legitimate key.

I don't think there's any way to know which "brand names" are using legit keys though. Some could be cheapskates and relabeling cheapo splitters. I imagine if you go to a site like avsforum.com there are threads where people can recommend brand name splitters using legit keys that won't stop working in a year or two.

FYI the reason they stop working is a firmware update from Directv - the HDMI org requires makers of compliant "source" devices like DVRs, set tops etc. to include updated key revocation lists when they produce firmware updates. So if you have a choice about installing firmware updates (like on your set top) or are using a really old device that no longer gets firmware updates (the case for quite a lot of cable TV equipment, perhaps before long Directv's H2x/HR2x) then the cheapo splitter will continue working for you.

You can 'test' this yourself by checking a splitter that stops working on something that hasn't had a firmware update in a long time. If it "died" because of the key revocation, it will still work fine if you connect it to a different DVR or set top that hasn't had a firmware update that where the splitter's key was revoked. That's the case most of the time - failure from other causes should be pretty rare, especially when it is within only a year or two.

Some of this may not apply for 4K capable devices, I'm not sure. HDCP 2.2 uses a new generation of HDCP tech and forging keys may not be possible. They could steal keys from other devices, but revoking those would be problematic so I'm not sure whether they'd do that. Probably couldn't hurt to take a chance on that 1x2 4K Blackbird and see what happens.

7. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    The only time I've ever had a splitter fail was a crappy power supply. (I read that somewhere, and it turned out to be true many use those crappy power units.)

Swapped out the PS and it's working ever since.

I have yet to experience an HDCP failure but I'm sure that's possible too.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Many models of HDMI splitters works fine without PS. Most of device's HDMI output port providing enough power [5VDC] to run the splitter [often using DC-DC to 3V inside ]

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I had so many splitters and none of them lasted. Never saw a bad power supply tho.

Rich

10. LoweBoy

LoweBoy Legend

Sep 15, 2006
    I had a friend tell me yesterday about the Yamaha RX-V685 and it has dual 4K output ports on the back of the receiver. Very tempting to get. . Could be an easy solution with upgrading to 4K at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Taken from the owners manual

Dual HDMI Outputs: The receiver's two HDMI outputs are parallel, so the same HDMI audio/video signal is output through both and can be used simultaneously (video is output at the resolution supported by both TVs).

Yes that would Very nice

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You want the same content going to two TVs? I can see that in a man cave but it becomes a bit of a PITA when used in separate rooms. I have done that but not recently.

Rich

13. LoweBoy

LoweBoy Legend

Sep 15, 2006
    Well kicking around extending to my back porch. I would have no issue with the same video, it would be for sports watching party anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich likes this.
  14. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    I used mine to send both to living room and seldom-used guest bedroom. Guestroom mostly used by me when sick and trying to keep from passing it on to the missus. Almost never really need both sets at once so when my 2nd splitter gave up the ghost, just replaced it with a switch.

15. Stevies3

Stevies3 Legend

Jul 22, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    My objective is to provide DTV to two seldom used bedrooms.

16. paule123

paule123 Legend

Dec 14, 2006
  17. Tritron

Tritron Member

Dec 7, 2019
    What is good wireless hdmi extender. I am thinking about using it power my deck tv from my living room my pioneer elite receiver has two hdmi out I guess I can connect second output to wireless hdmi

18. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Wireless HDMI has not been really practical until recently because it demands so much bandwidth. It also uses high frequencies that don't pass well through walls (or people) so it isn't very reliable. You'd be much better off getting a wireless client since passing 6-10 Mbps for an MPEG4 HD stream is a lot easier than passing a couple gigabits for 720p or 1080i HDMI.