1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI to Component for a Projector

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JohnTSmith, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Nov 2, 2012 #1 of 17
    JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith Legend

Dec 5, 2009
    Short Version
    Will (should?) DirecTV HDMI output work for a Component projector with a converter box, or will HDCP cause the converter to not work?

Long Version
    Due to a problem, I just replaced a 6+ year old 5.1 Onkyo (composite/component only) with a new model which has HDMI input... and one HDMI output... but the in-wall wiring to my projector is Component

I Googled to find a converter that did not have a "shifted picture" problem (which seems to be common with the less expensive models) and found one at B&H that creates a "true" picture conversion... and even went to chat to verify that B&H has not had picture shifting complaints (I have bought from B&H before, so will trust their tech person to tell me the truth)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=770115&is=REG&Q=&A=details

BUT... the unit does not support HDCP encryption

I do not have ANY of the added DirecTV movie channels (I have Netflix streaming video) so I do not know if any of the "regular" channels use HDCP encryption (I have the "choice" package)

So... any comments about running the DirecTV HDMI to my Onkyo SR313 for input switching and then from the Onkyo through the converter to the projector via Component?

2. Nov 2, 2012 #2 of 17
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Monoprice has high quality HDMI to Component Video converters at very reasonable price.

3. Nov 2, 2012 #3 of 17
    JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith Legend

Dec 5, 2009
    Yes, I looked at Monoprice
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10114&cs_id=1011410&p_id=8125&seq=1&format=2

Review 10-27-12 by Bob mentions the "shifting" problem

Also review on 9-12-12 and 8-28-12 and 6-28-12 and I stopped looking at this one and continued my Google search until I found the KanexPro at B&H

So... do you know if HDMI for non-HBO (and similar movie channels) from DirecTV will "generally" work with a converter?

Or are "all" DirecTV channels locked up with HDCP encryption?

4. Nov 2, 2012 #4 of 17
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You have not typical setup...
    I would wait when someone [who have same/similar converter and willing to] post here.

5. Nov 2, 2012 #5 of 17
    BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Most of the non-movie channels are not content protected, however, this can change at any time so while it will work today, may or may not tomorrow...

6. Nov 2, 2012 #6 of 17
    JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith Legend

Dec 5, 2009
    >this can change at any time

Hmm... that is what I was afraid of... I may just have to buy a converter and do my own test... then report my results so others will know

ADDED... just received a follow up email from "chat guy" at B&H... they have one that is HDCP complaint... for $246
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...26_1T_FC_326_HDMI_YPbPr_Format_Converter.html

I think I know of a "low cost" converter I can borrow for a test, so may do that before I buy anything

7. Nov 2, 2012 #7 of 17
    dielray

dielray Legend

Aug 5, 2009
    Just throwing an idea out there. What about using the sound system only for sound using optical cables and using an RCA switch to switch the video?

8. Nov 2, 2012 #8 of 17
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    +1
    I run my system with Component to TV and Optical to Yamaha.
    Zero problems with HDMI and HDCP messages.

9. Nov 2, 2012 #9 of 17
    JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith Legend

Dec 5, 2009
    Back with an interim report

Was able to borrow a "no name" converter that was bought from Amazon

My limited test (not enough time to check ALL the channels I receive) indicates that using the Onkyo as a switch, with HDMI to the converter to send Component signal to the projector does work

Of course, the picture was not good from the cheap converter... not only was everything shifted left, there was additional "tearing" starting at the top right and extending left for as much as 1/3 of the screen

I ordered the Kanex from B&H and will come back with another report after it arrives

If DirecTV and/or the content providers ever add HDCP to the non-Premium channels, I have the option of the HDCP compliant model that B&H sells

10. FussyBob

FussyBob Legend

Jan 11, 2009
  11. RBTO

RBTO Legend

Apr 11, 2009
    John,
    You've got another option, though a bit pricey - HDMI over coax. There are several companies that now have HDMI over coax converters which allow you to send an HDMI signal using a coax line (of which you have three). I believe they are fully HDCP compliant so it would eliminate that issue. Here are a couple:

http://sewelldirect.com/HDMI-over-Coax-Extender-.asp?gclid=CKeh4--atLMCFUKd4Aod52gAHA

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-40574-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B005SIMSAE

The other solution, which is even more expensive, is wireless HDMI which would allow you to bypass your in-wall wiring altogether.

Either of these would go on the output of your AVR which would provide for the HDMI switching.

12. JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith Legend

Dec 5, 2009
    The Kanex at B&H has the same rating, albeit with fewer reviews, so I have high hopes

FussyBob... I have added the ViewHD VHD-H2YVs to my notes file... if the Kanex brand does not work as advertised, I will return it and order a ViewHD brand

RBTO... Thanks, but Coax won't work since the walls were closed up 6 years ago... and I do not care to get into wireless

I will come back with a report when the Kanex arrives

13. harperhometheater

harperhometheater Legend

Aug 30, 2012
    I believe he was saying that you already have 3 "coax" cables installed ready for use. Each of the component video lines you already have in place should be 75 ohm coax to handle the YCbCr component signals, so either one of the three can be utilized with that hdmi to coax converter.

14. JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith Legend

Dec 5, 2009
    >already have 3 "coax" cables installed ready for use

Oh... OK... but more expensive than any of the other solutions

I will stick with the one I have on order (Kanex or ViewHD if Kanex does not work well... with final option of the TVOne box if HDCP encryption compliance is ever needed)

Thanks to everyone for the ideas... more information is always good... back to waiting for Kanex mode

15. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    I've been using the HDfury for a couple of years now and it is HDCP complient. A little high priced, but a good unit.

16. FussyBob

FussyBob Legend

Jan 11, 2009
    Yes, that is a great box, but as you stated much more costly than alternatives that do the same thing. The major plus for the HDfury is that it has upgradeable firmware in case the industry keeps changing HDCP formats. The HDfury was kicked out of the US sales channels, they now ship directly from Hong Kong.

Bob P.

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    perhaps these are HK clones ?