1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDNet Movies - Theatrical Premiers the same day

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by wkomorow, Feb 6, 2005.

1. wkomorow

wkomorow DBSTalk Club Member

Apr 22, 2002
    While I was flipping through the channels this morning, I saw an advertisement for HDNETMovies. It said this Spring they will show certain movies the same day they hit the theaters. It implied that there would be a number of them, but they only showed one -Smartest Men in the Room: the Enron Story. They idea is that the showing would be one night only. Did any one else see this? I did not see anything on the HDNet site. Does anyone know what studios they have a deal with?

2. GFloyd

GFloyd Legend

Jun 3, 2003
    I Googled the movie & read that mark Cuban's newly formed company, HDNet Films, produced the movie. They plan to launch 3 movies in 2005, with a goal of 8 movies per year.

http://www.indiewire.com/biz/biz_040528hdnet.html

They plan to release them on HDNet the same day that they are released in theaters. Wouldn't look for any major blockbusters immediately, but this could be a paradigam shifter ...

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Question is, will HDNet movies see wide distribution in theaters? I can't see folks rushing out to see the Enron Story on the silver screen. Could this be a reverse con - just to say HDNet is showing "newly-released" films? :shrug:

4. BasicBlak

BasicBlak Mentor

Jan 25, 2005
    I definitely believe so. Typical, gross hyperbole, I'm sure. Besides, though I'm a great fan of the HDNet Movies channel, it's my understanding that they deal only in older theatrical releases. Which suits me fine, actually, as I've never seen the likes of The Towering Inferno or The Hindenburg look or sound better...that is, until they end up on high-def DVD.

5. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    This day and date for movie, ppv, dvd, and premium channel has been kicked around the industry for a while now. Mark cuban has the kahones to see if it will work. :D

6. BasicBlak

BasicBlak Mentor

Jan 25, 2005
    Well, if it's for his own in-house productions as alluded to earlier in the thread, then I wouldn't count Cuban out, either. But, after spending over 10 years working for one of the major motion picture studios out here, I think I can say with at least a modicum of confidence that it's highly unlikely you'll see any semblence of an A-list or tentpole title (e.g. your War of the Worlds or Star Wars prequels) being released on HDNet (or anywhere else) day-and-date with theaters. At least not any time soon. But I think D-A-D to some degree and in some form or other will eventually come to fruition.

7. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    It's cojones! "Kahones" is the Hawaiian pronunciation. :grin: