HDNet Test Patterns

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Lee Bailey, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 6, 2008 #1 of 22
    Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Mentor

May 18, 2008
    Got this message yesterday from HDNET about their test patterns.

'In revamping our summer schedule, we moved the test patterns to a
    different time.
    Beginning on June 14 the test patterns will air every Saturday at 10:00
    am ET.'

Just FYI...

2. Jun 6, 2008 #2 of 22
    kocuba

kocuba Icon

Dec 29, 2006
    Lee,

Thanks. I've been waiting to catch that on my other HR for awhile now.

Scheduling now.

3. Jun 6, 2008 #3 of 22
    Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Mentor

May 18, 2008
    I noticed that in that time slot is the 'Nothing but Trailers', though it starts 10 minutes late. I'll assume that the first 10 minutes is the test pattern stuff. Will know next weekend.

4. Jun 8, 2008 #4 of 22
    Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Mentor

May 18, 2008
    Got my answer when I received this week's schedule:

Sat., Jun 14 - 10:00 AM ET / 7:00 AM PT
    HDNet TEST PATTERNS
    Wonder how your home theatre is doing? Wish you had test patterns to help set it up? Well, HDNet is here to help. This short program will help you get the most out of your home theatre setup by providing you with the same professional test patterns HDNet uses to set their gear.

Sat., Jun 14 - 10:10 AM ET / 7:10 AM PT
    NOTHING BUT TRAILERS
    Sometimes the best part of the movie is the preview! So HDNet presents a half hour of Nothing But Trailers. See the best trailers, old and new in HDNet's collection.

5. Jun 8, 2008 #5 of 22
    GB1

GB1 AllStar

Dec 7, 2006
    Rookie question here: How do I use the test pattern to calibrate my TV? Does it include directions?

TIA

6. Jun 8, 2008 #6 of 22
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Basic instructions are on the video ... at least they were the last time I recorded it.
    I have it recorded from a few months ago - I'll probably record it again, if only to compare satellite PQ. :)

7. Jun 8, 2008 #7 of 22
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Just to clarify... The test pattern will (with voice narration) tell you how it is to be used, and what it indicates about your set's calibration. The actual calibration steps, however, vary from TV to TV so you'll have to consult an owner's manual, technical manual, or search the web for actual calibration procedures to make adjustments on your TV.

But you may have already known that... I just wanted to cover the bases.

8. Jun 8, 2008 #8 of 22
    CoolGui

CoolGui Icon

Feb 8, 2006
    I've read about this before on the forum but never have used it. I set it to record by recording "Nothing but Trailers" and setting it to start 10 minutes early. I'm assuming that's the only way to do this right? I don't see a way to record just the 10 minutes between programs.

9. Jun 8, 2008 #9 of 22
    JimD

JimD Legend

Apr 8, 2005
    Uhhh, manual timer? :D

I don't recall exactly off-hand, but I think you press the "DVR" button twice, select "schedule", then "timers" and then "manual timer". It's been a while since I've done this, so I could be mistaken as to the means of getting there.

10. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    A manual timer would work but CoolGui did it a whole lot easier than jumping through those hoops.

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    A manual timer will record the 10 minutes without wasting the HD space on "trailers". :)
    Then you can keep the tests for later use.

12. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah, that's what I did back when I recorded it... set a manual timer for it and have saved it on the DVR ever since in case I ever need to tweak some more.

13. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    I recorded it (long ago) by setting a DishPASS for "Test Pattern". The 622/722 has a fix for two shows starting in the same 30 minute block that my 942 never got, so you could PROBABLY just Search for "Test Pat" and select the 10 minute event w/o padding, and not have the stuff that follows. I'm pretty sure the 622/722 let you get the 1st show of a 30 minute block if you pick them from a search list. My 942 still does what the 622 used to do and shows the 10 minute show in the search results, but as soon as I hit Select, it changes it to "Trailers".

14. GB1

GB1 AllStar

Dec 7, 2006
    I just entered "Test Pattern" in the DishPass and it pulled it up.

And, yes it allowed me to only schedule the ten minute event.

Thanks for all the great info!

15. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Mentor

May 18, 2008
    I found that when I set up to start 10 minutes early, then end 20 minutes early, the program name changed itself to HDNET Test Patterns in the timer entries. Didn't think about using the search or Manual timers.

16. aaronbud

aaronbud Legend

Nov 3, 2006
    That worked for me too!
    Thanks for the tip!

17. CoolGui

CoolGui Icon

Feb 8, 2006

Yep, I've gone back and done it using the search, so I can keep it without wasting more than 10 minutes of space. Thanks for the ideas guys.

18. GB1

GB1 AllStar

Dec 7, 2006
    I recorded the test pattern, but there does not seem to be any type of instruction on how to use it?? Can anyone walk me through it?

Thanks

19. lmuehl

lmuehl Legend

Dec 18, 2007
    Here's a link to some helpful info http://www.smartcalibration.com/hdnetpatterns.html

20. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Mentor

May 18, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.