1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV Upconversion

Discussion in 'HDTV Equipment (Closed Forum)' started by rbyers, Apr 4, 2005.

1. rbyers

rbyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    does anyone have experience with the ADS hdtv upconverter. I've got a LCD HDTV in my bedroom, which is being driven off of a 501 and an OTA tuner. In the HD mode, the picture is outstanding, but when viewing off of the 501, the picture sucks. The downstairs set is not LCD and I'm viewing it through a 921 using the HD only output, so the SD is being upconverted to 1080i. I've used the 921 to drive the LCD display, and it looks better than when it is driven directly off of the 501.

I've seen ads for the ADS upconverter, which will convert 400x signals to 720p and/or 1080i. I'm wondering if anyone has knowledge of how well this particular box works.

TIA

2. bavaria72

bavaria72 I am one too! DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Texas
    Remember the 501 only has s-video output so the pictire quality is going to be worse than the HD tuner's (I have a 501 and 811 - no comparison in picture QA). I have not experimented with any type of up converter.

3. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    I have used the DvDo iScan HD and Zinwell Centerstage external scalers. I have posts results in several threads. A couple right here in the HDTV category.

4. Cpt Matt

Cpt Matt New Member

Apr 10, 2005
    What your looking for is a scaler, LCD monitors have a fixed resolution i.e. 1024 x768, 1366x768. Without an external scaler they fill these pixels themselves, typically not so well. Cost will determine which scaler will look best. Farajuda makes great ones but expensive, check out extron, or Focus Enhancements for a >2K solution.