Headed to new house. Advice?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Dad1717, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Dad1717

Dad1717 New Member

Jun 24, 2019
    Hi all. Sorry if I sound like a novice. I’ve had Directv for 15 years; I’m headed to a new house and downsizing. Also trying to save money, so I don’t want the full setup with four receivers. I’d love to cut the cord, but I need to have Sunday Ticket.

Do I have to have a new dish installed in the new home or can I just do it all digitally these days?

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You can get DIRECTV Now. But I don't know if you can get NFL ST with that.

3. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    New dish

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Call DirecTV and ask about their Mover's Package. That can save you lots of money when moving to a new place.

SamC likes this.
  5. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Agree. I have used the Mover's Connection several times. Every time a prompt and kept appointment of qualified installers who will put up a new dish and locate the boxes where I want, whatever number I wish to have without regard to how many I had previously (despite them telling you to pack your old boxes and move them, they have always installed all new equipment and taken the old ones) and generally they give a "special offer" of a higher package for a few months, gratis.

6. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Just follow the old rule of asking for everything you want when you do the move since you're starting a new 2 year commitment. So if you think you'll be going to 4K try to get a system that does 4K at that time.

7. Dad1717

Dad1717 New Member

Jun 24, 2019
    Thanks. I thought it was possible to just go digital. The reception with the dish has been getting worse, especially with my big screen.

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You can go all digital and get pretty much all you get now but not sports. If you are a sports fan there's no way out. I tried and failed.

Rich

Dad1717 likes this.
  9. tivofan2018

tivofan2018 Member

Oct 19, 2018
  10. Dad1717

Dad1717 New Member

Jun 24, 2019
  11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    A qualified yes ... only if you meet the circumstances listed (not nationwide to all subscribers).

compnurd likes this.
  12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    ST isn't available with DIRECTV Now.
    Source: https://www.att.com/esupport/articl...is-nfl-sunday-ticket-available-on-directv-now

But ST is available based on this criteria:
    Source: NFL Sunday Ticket TV DIRECTV Official Site

Having said all this, AT&T/DIRECTV web sites aren't always current. Calling (or online Chat) might get you better, but sometimes conflicting, information.

13. TV_Guy

TV_Guy New Member

Nov 16, 2007
  14. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
  15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, the way I use the ST would be a chore using a streamer's remote. I gave up on MLB TV because of that. After I paid for it.

Rich

16. TV_Guy

TV_Guy New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    If Disney or for that matter Amazon or Google outbid D* for Sunday Ticket, I think there's a good chance it goes to the highest bidder. Not like the NFL to leave money on the table.

17. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa

Totally agree, I've never seen anything that makes sports even remotely watchable for me on streaming. The interface sucks, the time delay sucks, the inability to pause and switch between multiple live streams sucks...

Though I'm not saying that's the reason NFLST won't end up going streaming only next year. It is just too soon for that, they might drop the exclusivity and let someone sell NFLST via streaming but Directv would almost certainly keep it available on satellite. If for no other reason than because of their commercial market which sure as hell can't go streaming.

Whether that non-exclusive would mean Directv has the "linear exclusive" and someone else has the streaming exclusive, or other linear providers like Dish, Comcast, etc. could also offer NFLST who knows, but I don't see much chance of Directv dropping it entirely. Even if they lost half their NFLST subscribers because they were only getting Directv for NFLST and could now get it elsewhere it would still be worth holding onto the rest who prefer Directv or are too lazy to switch.

Rich likes this.
  18. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    It certainly is painful on both NHL.TV and MLB.TV to shift between games.

But with MLB.TV, when you leave a game and go elsewhere, you have the option when you return to either watch from where you left off (Resume), or watch live. No need to pause the game before you leave. That is when using Fire tv, I'll check Roku tonight if that does the same.

19. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    and what about commercial use? what bar is going pay $1000+/mo 2-3 year lock-in for an DIA fiber internet?
    people with poor internet?
    also in Canada streaming only for home use failed 2-3 weeks in.

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Far too painful for me. Makes my monthly D* bill look better every day. I can (and do) watch three games at a time when using D* and it's not any problem. Simply cannot do that on an ATV or an FTV...comfortably.

Rich