1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headphones into back of HR24-500

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by usnret, Aug 23, 2010.

1. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    First off, sri if this is in the wrong forum. Was wondering if it's possible to plug headphones into the RCA outlets on the back of my HR24-500 and control the volumn via the receiver?
    Tks

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The RCA outputs are "live", but there isn't any volume adjustment in the receiver.

3. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    No. First off, you most likely wouldn't have enough amplification off of the RCA inputs to drive a pair of headphones. Second, there isn't a volume control built into the HR24. The RCA outputs are fixed. Volume is taken care of by your TV or home theater receiver.

Do you have an old stereo receiver lying around? If not, try and find one on Craig's List or something similar. You don't need much. Most anything would work. It would give you both gain and a volume control.

4. Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    The RCA jacks only provide an audio signal through them which is intended to be connected to some sort of audio equipment with it's own amplification. Plugging headphones into them will provide sound but will not be controllable. Your best bet is to get some wireless headphones as the have a way to control the volume. I use Sennheiser tr130's which work great off of the RCA's of my HR22.