Heads Up- Dish-Sling-EchoStar Major News Announcement coming May 8-9th

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by scottchez, May 7, 2019.

1. May 7, 2019 #1 of 33
    scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Something big is coming. I am sure this is already posted but many have missed it.

Charlie has been working on it for years and spent Billions on something. Not sure what. I am sure there are lots of rumors so lets not talk about the rumors but the facts as they come in ONLY. Post the facts here please if allowed to.

Other Tech related sites blog news sites have people attending The Dish, Echo Star, Sling Team Summit event. May8-9th
    I am sure some other members from this site will be there also.

This is just a heads up to check back here for the big news that is rumored to come out.
    Past years have had very little or NO big news, but word is this year will have a major announcement, could be the largest ever.

If you are attending please please post info at this site with lots of photos if legally allowed to (you are not under a NDA).
    No rumors please (there are plenty of those out there already)

Thank you

2. May 7, 2019 #2 of 33
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I don't buy it … big things have big potential to be leaked ... at least in small portions … so far nothing been seen last years.
    If I would continue monitoring FW spooling, then I would share some news if any new box testing there :(

3. May 7, 2019 #3 of 33
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Those that know can say nothing. Those that do not know can say nothing. The difference is that those who know are remaining silent. :)

dtv757 likes this.
  4. May 7, 2019 #4 of 33
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    ...and those who know nothing often reveal the extent of their knowledge. :cool:

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  5. May 7, 2019 #5 of 33
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    It’s here in Phoenix.

Maybe a Hopper 4 with 32 tuners? ;)

6. May 7, 2019 #6 of 33
    Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Or a new Hopper that washes your dishes!

7. May 7, 2019 #7 of 33
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Cable_Management-490x290.jpg Photo of Charlie working on his Billion dollar investment. :rolleyes:

KG4KBU and dtv757 like this.
  8. May 8, 2019 #8 of 33
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    honestly... EVERY post here is "reveal the extent of their knowledge" ! :p

9. May 9, 2019 #9 of 33
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Well - there is something out that I'm not at liberty to discuss. I'd consider it pretty middling - for those it would help, it's pretty nice.

10. Legman

Legman New Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Berlin,...
    And we wonder why dish does not interface with this site.

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I am referring to people under non-disclosure agreements who are not allowed to talk about what they know.
    (And people with no connection to DISH who spout knowledge of things they know nothing about.)

DISH has their own site for connecting to customers ... as well as the mass market social media sites (Twitter, Facebook, etc) where PR trained techs can attempt to polish the image of DISH. Or "assist customers". :)

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Why turn down grey area ? Where are people without direct access to control room or R&D department could use "leaking" facts as SI info, sat position monitoring sats, etc. Why not do deducting of coming STB watching FW spools ?
    Why do the black marks bluntly ?

13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    We do not prevent people from posting, even if it violates their NDA. (Without being a party to their NDA how could we know to inforce it?) We are not going to encourage people to violate NDAs for our entertainment. But that is an issue between the poster and the company.

We enforce the rules of our forum. Trolling, abusive behavior, etc. The closest an NDA violation would come would be if it were an impersonation. If someone claimed to be Mr Ergen or another company official we would ask for proof. Mr Ergen et al have better things to do than leak here.

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  14. kc1ih

kc1ih Legend

May 22, 2004
    Hudson, FL
    OK, it’s now May 11. I haven’t seen any announcement. Oh, well!

15. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    according to SatelliteGuys.us, the big reveal at the Dish Team Summit was the announcement for new USB dongle called the Hopper Snap for the Hopper 1 & 2 to make it run as fast as the Hopper 3 that can be connected to the top USB port of the earlier Hopper DVRs.

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The "something big" was probably referring to the launch of DISH's 5G (true 5G, not AT&T "5GE") service next March.

DISH also told their dealers about the "snap" device that will be connected to a Hopper or Hopper w/Sling to help speed up the GUI to be as fast as a Hopper 3.
    (The problem with putting new GUIs on old equipment is that the built in processors may not be able to handle the new graphics. The "snap" external processor will fix that problem.)

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Using USB dongle ? with external processor ? what is miserable agony in dish R&D ?!

[So, watching sat FW spools, someone would already knew it's coming, duh !]

18. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Not unless you are capturing the firmware and reverse engineering it. There is no way for the causal observer to know what features is in each new firmware being tested.

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I'm agree about new features, what I had in my mind - new device.

As to testing … well, there is some ways to accept testing version - DTV for example have 02468 magic command ;)

20. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    As you have seen, DISH targets the receivers they want to receive special software. It is more tightly controlled than DTV's consumer level testing.

tampa8 likes this.