Heartbeat and The Catch

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Supramom2000, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    So did any one watch these?

I liked both but the 2nd episode of Heartbeat was a little boring.

Thoughts?

2. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    As a fan of Big Love and The Killing, it sure is weird seeing Mireille Enos with a different hairstyle.

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Speaking of that, Joel Kinnaman, the odd detective, plays a governor in HoC and he's a pretty good actor. Surprised me.

Rich

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The first episode of "Heartbeat" was interesting but seemed uneven. Because it was panned by the critics and had initial bad ratings I'm recording it. If it gets picked up we may watch it, if not I'll dump it.

"The Catch".

With Mireille Enos and Peter Krause as the leads I knew it would be well done. Producer/creator Allan Heinberg was a producer/writer for "Party of Five", "Sex and the City", "Gilmore Girls", "The O.C." and "Grey's Anatomy". Top notch supporting actors Sonya Walger, Alimi Ballard, Jacky Ido, and the list goes on. Plus Shondaland needed to keep an audience on Thursday at 10 pm as "How to Get Away with Murder" had been losing ground.

The cool thing is it is clever, well-crafted, and fun. This one we'll watch each week.

5. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Watched both shows, liked Heartbeat, didn't care at all for The Catch.
    Still got the timers for both set, but I doubt I'll make it past the 2nd episode of The Catch.

Lloyd

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The problem with "Heartbeat" is episode 2 ran #4 in the demo with a 0.9/4 rating Wednesday just barely above The CW's "Arrow". It did, however, beat Fox's "Rosewood" in the 50+ crowd. Perhaps it will do better in the Live + 7 but it is clearly more popular with the wrong demographic for NBC. They are likely to run all 10 episodes this year. But if it continues at #4 NBC probably will not pick it up for next year as four production companies are involved, albeit Universal Studios is one. I'm finding it harder to commit to new shows on broadcast nets anymore.

I did, however, buy the $1.99 Kindle edition of the book:

[​IMG]

7. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Then do what I do. Don't commit to shows. Commit to individual episodes. Base your commitment to unseen episodes on what you know about the episodes you have seen.

There are so many choices, so much good TV, that I have no loyalty to shows, or series, at all anymore. None. If they give me a clinker ep, i'm probably out for good. They have to deliver, every time. It's a 'fool me twice, shame on me' attitude. I don't give them a chance to waste my time more than once.

"Maybe it will get better" is not an option. "But I really like that actor" is not an option. The competition is too good, and there are too many other real options out there for them to miss a step and expect me to tune back in.

Sadly, you still kind of have to watch at least one ep to really know. Info from ratings, reviews, survivability, or cast and director/producer is helpful. But i have liked a lot of shows others have hated, and hated a lot of shows others have liked. TV is too personal to base what you think you might want to watch, or what you think you might not want to watch, on impressions or opinions not your own.

Except your opinions and impressions, of course!