1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Height and Racial discrimination at the Slam Dunk Contest

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Jack White, Feb 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack White

Jack White Icon

Sep 17, 2002
    Did anyone see the slam dunk contest?
    In real life like 99.9% of the time being tall and being white will give you an advantage in life, but not in the NBA Slam Dunk Contest.
    Chris Andersen is a 6'10" white guy and he easily had one of the top 2 dunks in the first round of the dunk contest, but because of the racism and heightism of the judges, they gave him a very low score on that dunk.
    The crowd was booing the judges.
    Fred Jones' first dunk was only an ok dunk, but the judges gave him a 50 on it probably because of his height and skin color.
    Fred Jones should never have gotten out of the first round.
    Chris Anderson only had a so so dunk for his second dunk, but Chris Anderson should still have been in the Finals after the combied score of all his dunks in the first round, and Fred Jones shouldn't have been in the Finals let alone win the contest.
    Jason Richardson was obviously the best dunker in the contest, and he had one of the best dunks of all time in this contest where he threw the ball off the backboard caught it in midair, and then took the ball from one hand to the other hand between his legs before dunking it(such a dunk is an unheard of dunk that is almost thought to be impossible to pull off).
    As good as Jason Richardson was, he missed so many dunks in the finals that he lost.
    Brent Barry is the only white guy to ever win an NBA dunk contest, but if they had these judges that year, he would have probably gotten eliminated in the first round.
    Hell, these judges would probably even have eliminated Henry Bekkering in the first round.
    If you don't know who Henry Bekkering is, here's a video of him doing his stuff in highschool.
    http://www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~jheyward/dunkcontest.wmv
    If the link above doesn't work, then you can see the video at link below
    http://probasketball.about.com/
    Just click on "Henry Bekkering" under "2004 NBA MOCK DRAFT AND 2005's TOP DRAFT PROSPECTS".

2. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    Ya know what? The entire NBA has turned into one colossal crashing bore of a dunk contest, and the ratings show it. The game is now geared to giant gorillas like Shaq. It was a much better league and much more exciting when guys with a little(a lot of) finesse like Kareem, Jordan, Magic and Bird were in charge.

I'd be hard pressed to name three current NBA players, and I used to be the proud owner of season tickets and faithful fan of the Bucks. A big part of my disinterest, and the disinterest of many fans, is the ubiquitous SLAM DUNK! IT'S BORING!

Believe it or not, there was a time when "dunking" was illegal in the NBA. I suggest if they want to revive their league and their fan base, they raise the rim to at least eleven feet, or ELECTRIFY it! :yesman:

3. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Chris Andersen, had an awesome first dunk. I don't know why they gave it a 42, that was underscoring. I really thought he should've made it to the finals.

Let's not play the race card on this.

Taller guys have been scored more tightly than big guys since the beginning of the Dunk Contest.

4. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I am really upset by reports of ethnic favoritism in the NBA Slam-Dunk competition. What a national shame this is! :eek2:

What we need is new federal laws and more NBA regulations to bring back integrity to this event. Selection of future Slam-Dunk judges must be fair and balanced, and not subject to the influence of certian types who already dominate the game.

Here are a few proposals off the top of my head to restore public confidence:

- selection of judges made by a racially neutral panel
    - designate seats by ethnicity (black, white, asian, european)
    - limit average height of judges to no more than 6' 5"
    - restrict average color of judges to no darker than mauve, and no lighter than buff (as measured by Sherwin-Williams)
    - scoring handicap for players under 6' 2"
    - factor hang-time into scoring
    - point reduction for excessive hot-dogging
    - point reduction for excessive rape charges (convictions not required)

Finally, contest participants would be lmited to wearing no more than 16 bling-blings during competition. I am sending my recommendations to the NBA.

I am!

:rolleyes:

5. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    I think the answer is obvious Nick. Next year's contest should be produced by MTV with the grand finale a bi-racial duet featuring, oh I don't know, let's say Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake. That should take the pressure off the judges and contestants and focus the attention elsewhere.:D

6. Strong

Strong Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 30, 2003
    I admit the NBA has really gone downhill again, but are you sure dunking was illegal?? I know it was illegal in college and High Schools, but the NBA AFAIK it was always legal. The 1st recorded dunk was in the 40's or so, and Wilt the stilt made it the majority of his game.

7. Jack White

Jack White Icon

Sep 17, 2002
    I seem to remember that the reason dunking was almost never done in games in the old days was because people would undercut you if you tried to dunk.
    They were once showing old film of George Mikan and other guys dunking in the warmups, but they reason they never did it in games was probably because they were afraid on falling on their head after the defender undercut them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.