1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello all. A few questions from a n00b :)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Sandman-XX, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandman-XX

Sandman-XX New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Ok. I, like another reader earlier, have searched and searched the forums, and maybe I got a little overloaded. I had a few hopefully simple questions.
    First, my equipment :
    Windows Vista Ultimate
    Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    plenty of disk space and RAM.
    Cable modem/Internet (Roadrunner)
    Windows Media Center.
    No HD TV at this time, but possible in the near future.

I have a home network, Dlink wireless-N (DIR-655), with this PC wired and a laptop and desktop both wireless. Network functions well, WPA2 used. I currently have a D11 (el cheapo, I gather) Directv receiver, x2, in the house.
    I am fairly computer literate, and build my own PC's and usually manually set up the home network (after hardware changes :) )
    Now, for the questions.
    All these are based on a possible Plus-DVR receiver purchase/upgrade (not done yet). I would like to use the functions of the Media Center, photos, vids from PC, possibly music.

Do I NEED Viiv, or will only Windows MC work?
    Is Viiv a similar program/substitute for the Media Center?
    I am considering purchasing the new Dlink wireless-N media extender coming out next month. Would that be an suitable alternative to getting a new receiver?

That's all I just came up with for now. Had a few more, think they got folded into the overload reading through all these forums. :)

Thanks in advance!

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    With Windows Vista and the latest Windows Media Player, you don't need to worry about Viiv. But remember that the HR20/HR21's network media features only include sharing photos and music files with your PC, not videos.

3. ajiuO

ajiuO Legend

Jun 17, 2006
    Once you get your HR2x-xxx connected, configured, and it test ok in the network test… click the round windows button on your task bar, go to networking. Look for the icon that says “DIRECTV Plus HD DVR” and double click it.

At this point WMP11 will open and prompt you to set up media sharing for that device.

The HR2x-xxx supports Music and Photos. It does not at this time but.. will some point down the road support video.

4. Coffey77

Coffey77 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Nov 12, 2006
    and a big :welcome_s to the Forum and best of luck with your networking issues. Hopefully these suggestions will help but don't be afraid to ask as many questions as it takes. :)

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    This is being moved to the HR20 Information Resources Subforum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.