Hello Forum Members....looking for Guidance Please - Direct TV remote (large white Universal)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Deane, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Deane

Deane New Member

Sep 20, 2019
    What or where is the appropriate forum to discuss the troubleshooting of a Direct TV remote (large white Universal) and its limited functionality? Worked with support for a few hours last night and still nowhere....All started when Cecil told me to go to advanced settings and change IR/RF setting to try and get the Input/Select feature to function......

Respectfully,
    Deane:)

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You found the right place. Tell us exactly what you need and what happened. Believe me, no one here that's been here for some time would call D* to get that kind of help. Remotes are easy to program as a rule, just give us some more info.

Rich

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yes, more info,
    What is the receiver model number ?
    What is the Remote model number ?
    If you have a peanut shaped RC7x remote and a Genie, Press the Mute and Enter button and hold them for about 3 to 5 seconds. This will pair the remote to the receiver in RF mode. Note: The Enter button is not the Select Button.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Welcome to the Forum:

If you are trying to change the Input on your TV,
    The Input button works kinda funny. You press it and it brings up an Input, repeat pressing it until the proper Input is on your TV. Then just sit there. In about 20 to 25 seconds you TV will switch to that Input by itself.

5. Deane

Deane New Member

Sep 20, 2019
    Guys,

Thanks so much for getting back to me....
    DIRECTV HR24 Sat TV Receiver/DVR, MFG# 190660, 500GB hard drive
    DirecTV RC65RX IR Remote Control Universal

Here is some info...
    Can’t believe I got to this point but I wanted a new remote from Direct TV and after some back and fourth I was rewarded with one free of charge yesterday. I was tired of using the TV, Apple TV and Direct TV remotes and want to use just one. I received the typical large white or (Universal) Direct TV remote and not the smaller (Peanut) type. Went on Utube and in 5 min reviewed many quick and easy methods to pair this remote up to my Westinghouse Flat Screen TV. I decided to go with the very popular method of Slide top bar to TV position....TV and Direct TV receiver both on at this point....Then Hold Select & Mute and wait for the double flash then press 991... then after double flash press 1 again....then pressing down the channel button eventually the TV shuts off...At this point select button is pressed then power button is pressed ...pressing the channel up multiple times turns the TV back on and Bravo were in business. Volume works ...Chanel works. Guide works...Everything Great !!!....EXCEPT Input will not select ??? Why ??? I went online and opened a chat session with Cecil and we started messing with it. I was almost at the goal line when he asked me to go to Advanced Setting and change IR/RF settings....What Happened Now I have Nothing and cannot communicate with my direct TV receiver at all other than power and volume....Can’t change channels or get guide or menu or anything....Totally screwed myself here... Spent 2 hours on the phone and spoke with multiple techs and they had no idea....I have reset the receiver multiple times and have had no luck...I'm sure I changed the frequency on the receiver and need the sequence to reverse it......Please Help :)

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Where did you get the 991 from ? Is that the Westinghouse TV Code ?

Here is what happened to you. Cecil had you change the Receiver to RF Mode, Now the Remote is still in IR Mode. The top right is 2 buttons, On and Off. Do those buttons turn your TV ON and OFF ?

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    These are codes for a Westinghouse TV
    upload_2019-9-20_11-14-42.png

8. Deane

Deane New Member

Sep 20, 2019
    Where did you get the 991 from ? Is that the Westinghouse TV Code ? ......Utube I tried a quick work around .... stupid I know regretting it

Here is what happened to you. Cecil had you change the Receiver to RF Mode, Now the Remote is still in IR Mode. The top right is 2 buttons, On and Off. Do those buttons turn your TV ON and OFF ?.......... The middle power turns on and the right off turns off

9. Deane

Deane New Member

Sep 20, 2019
    Jimmie,
    That's Great !!! Awesome I will put the proper codes and try again....Is there a process you prefer rather than the website instructions???

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Do you want the remote to be in RF mode ?
    If yes, This will do that:
    961- To program the remote for RF.
    961 + CH Up turns the RF on
    961 + CH Down turns the RF off.

To set the Input to work:
    Note: This has to be done AFTER the TV is set up.
    960- To setup the TV input key.
    I hate this PDF that will not let me copy sections. Going to drop the whole file for the users manual here:

Attached Files:

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Help:
    LOL
    I have never had to change a receiver out of RF. Now that it is in RF this has to be done by using the actual buttons on the face of the HR24 ? Steps ? Buttons ?

12. Deane

Deane New Member

Sep 20, 2019
    Do you want the remote to be in RF mode ?

Jimmie I'm not sure I understand the difference between RF & IR......All in know is we were working 99% and almost there until I was instructed to change the RF/IR setting in advanced settings....What is the remote or receiver default out of the box?

13. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Hang on. I have been jumping around, sorry about that.
    Need to know if you want the Remote in RF mode. If yes, we can do that just using the remote.
    If not, the Receiver has to be set back to IR.

14. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    IR stands for Infrared and shoot an invisible light to the receiver for signals. You have to have line of sight for it to work.
    RF is Radio Frequency and you could operate the HR24 from the adjacent room, but it would not operate the TV because it is IR .

15. Deane

Deane New Member

Sep 20, 2019
    No Worries Thanks to All of you Guys for trying to bail me out here :)

16. Deane

Deane New Member

Sep 20, 2019
    So you think back to IR is the play here.............

17. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I assure you we will get you back to working.
    Beside Rich and me there are many others that know what to do and many times they chime in to help which is always appreciated.

18. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I use mine in IR. Did you ever have problems getting it to work before the new one ?
    Do you still have the old remote set for this TV ?

19. Deane

Deane New Member

Sep 20, 2019
    I should mention that I'm at the office and not in front of my equipment.....I have a meeting at the office at 1pm EST and will be home around 7pm tonight. Can we regroup then?

I use mine in IR. Did you ever have problems getting it to work before the new one ? No really just worn out with sticky buttons etc...
    Do you still have the old remote set for this TV ? yes...Does not work either (anymore) after last night

20. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Take a look at this video and pay close attention to him changing the TV to RF.
    If you repeat this using the Front Panel buttons and choose IR.Then we can program your TV.
    getting hr24 out of RF mode - Bing video