Hello, new DirectTV subscriber here. Got some questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Kman, Apr 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kman

Kman Cool Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Finally got fed up with our cable company. Had D* installed Saturday. Went with the Blockbuster two room deal. Got Choice Plus with local channels ($39.99). Had one receiver installed in the family room where our home theater is, and had the other receiver installed in our bedroom. This left our kids w/o TV in their room. ( I will get to that soon). The installer ran the cable down to our basement and split the two signals using the existing cables to the rooms. Pretty simple installation. When I spoke to the Blockbuster rep originally, he said the installer would run another cable from our bedroom and "piggy back" the signal to our girl's room, of course the installer said "no". I understand about seeing the same show signal, but this would work in our case because the kids would be sleeping by the time we would be using the TV in our room. (I was going to get an RF remote so the girl's could change channels from their room). Considering the installer used the existing cabling, I did not think it was a big deal, but what do I know. Needless to say my two girls, 8 & 10 are not happy campers. Though they have their own rooms, we have bunks in the older one's room, so they sleep together because of the TV being in there. Now, what to do?
    Add another receiver? That means having a phone jack installed in that room. Plus, call me cheap, but why give D* another 5 bucks a month for a TV that will be used one hour a nite, and a few hours on the weekend ? I am already paying it once for our bedroom. Sorry, since I own the equipment I got a problem with this 5 bucks per receiver thing. I know I will need a multiswitch for this. Any reccomended websites to purchase this? I found a Perfect Vision 4-way for $24.95 at DirectDuo.? What about an audio/video RF signal sender? Radio Shack has one for $99.99. Would something like that work? Lastly, if I go with the third receiver, what about this Tivo thing? Any good deals out there to buy it? Thanks in advance for your help. I know this is long, but you guys are the guys in the know.

:hi: :hi:

2. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Sound like you will need a 3rd receiver.

I highly recommend the DirecTivo units you will never watch TV the same way again.

You dont need to put a phone line in for the kids room, they tell you do but you don't. :D

As for the $5 a month for the extra receiver you would pay that if you had Dish Network, DirecTV or Digital Cable. Besides think of it this way, isn't it worth $5 a month to get your kids out of your hair for an hour each night? :D

Welcome to DBStalk.COM KMAN! :wave:

3. Kman

Kman Cool Member

Apr 22, 2002
    I am glad I found this site. Lot's of info for a DBS newbie. The telephone jack is good to know. Will D* give me grief, or should I run a line from the other room just for the install, then remove it? 5 bucks is a small price to pay for peace.:hi:

4. Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
    DirecTV will not give you any greif, if they ask you if you have a phone line hooked up say "uh huh" and that will be the end of it.

Were glad you found us too!

5. Kman

Kman Cool Member

Apr 22, 2002
    there is something out there from Terk called a Leapfrog. It is available either RF or by plugging into existing phone jacks. You can send A/V signals from the SAT receiver to another TV in the house. You can actually add three more receivers for more TV's. Best Buy has it for $99.99. Not sure of the quality, but then again it is only for the kids room. On line reviews seem to rate it as good.

6. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Kman, make sure to visit us again, were glad to have you as a member here. :)

7. Guest

or just activate online

Corey

8. fertree

fertree Mentor

Apr 20, 2002
    I have a leapfrog that runs through the phone lines. There is lots of interference on the signal. It's mediocre at best but it works. It's okay for a kids room, especially if they have a smaller screen tv.

9. Kman

Kman Cool Member

Apr 22, 2002
    I figure if I just get it at Best Buy and it doesn't work, I'll just return it. I think I am going to try the RF one first. Our bedrooms are on the second floor away from all major appliances, maybe that will help will interference. we'll see. I can always get the third receiver if I have to. :rolleyes:

10. Guest

You can still use one reciever. Use diplexers to send the signal. That is what I use to get it to my bedroom. Then all you would need is an IR sender for the girls to change channels. You can probably get diplexers for about $10 each, just need to shop around.

11. Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
    I still feel its better to get them their own receiver. You will find you want to watch your TV which is shared with the kids when they want to watch it.

Thats my opinion anyways.

12. BearsFan

BearsFan Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Dang. I wish I had a TV in my room when I was growing up! I wasn't allowed. And my parents only had OTA!

Guess that's why I love D* so much now.

Seriously, I'm a proponent of the RF signal sender & splitting the signal. If your girls are in bed, they can watch D* from your bedroom receiver, seeing as you aren't in there until later anyway. Then, when it's "lights out", you can move to the D* in your bedroom, without worries.

I helped my 66-year-old father set up the pyramid-looking RF signal senders from his bedroom on the 2nd floor to his computer room in the basement. It's great. During the day he can watch D* from the receiver upstairs where no one is anyway. The remote works great, and there's no extra fees.

I understand the "it's only $5 per month," but add it up over the years, and spending one time for a splitter and RF signal senders and a cheap univeral remote, you'll save yourself lots of $$ by not messing with an extra $5 per month.

This is all just my opinion from setting this up myself...that, and I'm a cheapskate who thinks my NFL ST sub is too high.

--MfS (MSadowski @ DBSForums.com)

13. Kman

Kman Cool Member

Apr 22, 2002
    I thought about that, but I am hesitant to cut holes in my walls to run the cable in the attic and over to the girls room. But, thinking about it again I will have a "proffesional" give me a price on running the line over. Another option. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.