Help Choosing APC UPS

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by nickff, Apr 24, 2010.

1. nickff

nickff Legend

Dec 8, 2007
    Several times a year out power goes out for short periods of time (less than a minute usually, but sometime for several minutes). I am in the market for a UPS for my DVR and powered multiswitch.

Not as important, (but something I am considering) is also having my AV equipment on a UPS. Laugh as you see fit, but I game a lot and get annoyed when the power goes out for a few seconds.

Here is what I would like to hook up to the UPS:

Option 1
    1. HR22
    2. Powered multiswitch

Option 2
    1. HR22
    2. Powered Multiswitch
    3. Denon 3808
    4. Xbox 360
    5. Router
    6. Pio 141fd
    7. Cable modem

Would the S10 from APC work for option 2? Details here: http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=S10

Or would I need something with more watts for option 2, such as the S15? Details here: http://www.apc.com/products/apcav/products/index.cfm?action=detail&base_sku=S15

For option 1 would the following suffice or is it overkill? http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SMT750&total_watts=50

I appreciate any input. Thanks!

2. rlgold88

rlgold88 Godfather

Aug 30, 2006
    I have the apc j15 power conditionar with battery backup works great on my system which is comparable to your option 2 also mt 60 xbr2 is connected to it too and power amps and sub. Is great to have with my frequent power outages.

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Option 1 would require about 150VA

I dont know what your Option 2 power usage total is, but I have two DVRs w/2 eSATA drives, SWM, FTA satellite receiver, DVD Recorder, Sage Media Extender, Video Processor, Denon 100Wx5 amp, HTPC Computer, Sharp 46" LCD, 1 Gig Switch, Router, and Cable Modem plugged into my 1500VA APC unit. With everything on, it reports a 580W draw, and 9 minutes of backup time on its display.

4. xzi

xzi Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Due to the transient power requirements of an A/V receiver, I wouldn't hook it up to a UPS--it will probably just cause clipping and reduce headroom. Everything else would be OK, though.

5. nickff

nickff Legend

Dec 8, 2007
    Does this mean the receiver might want more power at times, but would be limited by the S15? If so, does this only apply when the battery back-up is being used or at all times?

Without my receiver battery backed-up I would lose audio and video since my Xbox is connected via HDMI to my receiver.

Hmmmm....

6. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I have no problems with my Denon on the UPS. If you are concerned, just make sure you get a UPS that supplies power off the grid with conditioning until the grid fails, and then switches to battery backup. If it lists a switching time, it should be running off the grid when there is no power failure, in which case, it wont affect your amp at all.

7. nickff

nickff Legend

Dec 8, 2007
    I would love to pretend I know what you mean, but.... :)

8. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    There are two types of UPS units....

Type 1 (what you want), pass through house power after conditioning it. When the house power goes out, or drops below a predetermined voltage, it switched to using its battery to create the power. It is cheaper, and the specs usually list a "switching time" in microseconds.

Type 2 creates power off the battery all the time, and the unit just recharges the battery all the time. Since its always running off the battery, it doesnt have any switching time. It is usually recommended to use this type when running off a generator, since power fluctuations on a generator can cause problems with the Type 1 units (although Ive run my type 1 unit off a generator with no issues for several days).

9. nickff

nickff Legend

Dec 8, 2007
    This is starting to make sense. The APC S10 lists a "transfer time" of 2-4 ms, so it sounds like it is a Type 1 as you described above. If I understand correctly, that means when the unit is not employing its battery back-up, my receiver will be getting all it needs to run my home theater.

I appreciate your insight.

10. denvertrakker

denvertrakker Legend

Feb 5, 2009
    Colorado
    You might want to consider this Panamax as an alternative to the APC:

http://www.panamax.com/Products/A-V-Components/M1500-UPS.aspx

The reason I suggest this one is that the Panamax is aimed at audio applications (including home theater), where APCs to my knowledge are not.

Panamax also makes several other units that are considerably less expensive.

11. xzi

xzi Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Right, a cheaper, "offline" unit will indeed run off line power until a failure so that part is OK I suppose, however they also are probably stepped sine wave approximations, something else I wouldn't want on my A/V receiver either so if your goal is to run it off the UPS I almost wouldn't bother anyway--but I've never tried it.

I would imagine an A/V receiver like the 3808 (I have a 2802) would draw enough power to overload a cheap UPS at time, no matter what the size.

12. nickff

nickff Legend

Dec 8, 2007
    The APC S10/S15 say "sine wave" not "stepped sine wave." Not sure if that is different or not.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=S10

13. xzi

xzi Icon

Sep 18, 2007
  14. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    I have a Cyber Power 1000 AVR UPS unit. It handles: HR20-700, external esata drive, Onkyo 876 A/V receiver and 47" JVC LCD TV. When receiver is cranked, load reaches 80%. Mine is the type that runs off the battery so can't add anything else to it. My BD player and bass amp go through a surge protector only.
    I own 3 Cyber Power UPS units and personally like them. My important electronics are hooked up along with a quality surge protector in front of the UPS units.

15. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Cyberpower, APC, and Panamax/Furman are all very good.

APC and Panamax/Furman have lines specifically tailored to Audio/Video and usually that means a true sine wave (though not always) which is a cleaner power source. Panamax/Furman are really the best for Audio/Video as that is what they are aimed at...some of the APC audio/video units are a bit overpriced IMO but still very good.

16. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    You should consider what you really need powered by a UPS. Your modem and router probably do not need continous power. If the neighborhood power goes out, so will the rest of the ISP's network in your area. So why run your router and modem off the UPS as you will lose internet anyway? (yeah I understand MRV wireless issues but is it really that important). Put non essential devices on good Surge Protectors to maximize UPS performance for devices that really need the UPS.

The rest for Option 2 will most likly suffice with 1000va or higher. When the power goes out, if it stays our for a minute or longer, gracefully shut things down.

17. nickff

nickff Legend

Dec 8, 2007
    I realize I don't need to run Option 2 on a UPS. I was just considering having a setup where everything stays on while I am gaming when the power cuts out for a minute or so.

However, I didn't consider my ISPs network going out also. That is a good point. Not sure if that happens or not.

18. nickff

nickff Legend

Dec 8, 2007
    My SWM is in a separate room from everything else. Would a cheaper APC UPS that uses a stepped sine wave be a problem for it?

19. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    No, it will be fine.

The HRs and PIs, etc. are just fine with normal UPS units. I run just a simple small Cyberpower UPS for my main HR21 and PI to allow it to keep recording. It is a little ~350va unit that will run that setup for hours.

20. nickff

nickff Legend

Dec 8, 2007
    Has anyone had to submit a claim to have connected equipment replaced? I found a few CyberPower units I like, but it seems they only replace connected equipment if they find a flaw in their unit.

It seems that APC will replace connected equipment if their unit was properly installed and being used.

Just want to make sure I am reading the warranties correctly.