Help decide which HD DVR to purchase!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by clcoyle, Nov 19, 2009.

1. clcoyle

clcoyle Mentor

Jul 25, 2004
    I am in the market for a new HD DVR and am looking for advice as to which model I should purchase.

I currently have the HR20-700 and have been very happy with it.

Should I purchase another HR20-700 or is there a better model that you all would recommend? Cost is not an issue.

Thanks, Roll Tide

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    First off, most any DVR you "purchase" today will be leased (just so you are aware).

Second, I doubt you will find an HR20-700 to obtain. The current units are the HR22 and HR23 series.

From DirecTV's perspective, they are all equivalent. If you order an HD DVR from them, you could get an HR20, HR21, HR22 or HR23 (and most any dash number).

3. clcoyle

clcoyle Mentor

Jul 25, 2004
    Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the leasing agreement and that I will not own the receiver. I guess I was trying to ascertain if there was really any difference between all of the HR20, HR21, HR22, HR23 models. Is it your opinion that they are all the same and it really doesn’t matter which model I purchase?

4. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    From what I have read the HR20-100 and the HR20-700 are fast working DVR's then any of the others. I know I have seen a HR21 and it was slow slow slow. I would of pulled out my hair. I am thinking of adding another HR20 soon but I want to own it so I will get it off ebay after making sure its a owned unit then I want to drop a 1TB internal hard drive in it and call it good. If I understand right, if you add a owned reciever it does not extend your commitment either. Thats a big incentive for me even though I really dont see me going anywhere anytime soon. But if you can get the fastest HD DVR and no commitment and also cheaper then the lease fee then why not. I am kind of waiting to see if I am gonna want the new TiVo or not. If it does not have 4 tuners in it then I probably wont want it. I want to be able to record more then 2 shows at the same time.

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I just added an HR22 this week, and I've got to say, it appears to be almost equal in speed to my HR20-700, we'll see how it performs after adding the AM-21 this evening..the HR22 is running current NR, and I'm not seeing that HD thrashing so many are talking about, and its quiet. If my HR20-700 thrashes I have never heard it because the ANTEC MX-1 is so well built that you cant hear any drive noise from it at all. The rubber isolation grommets make the WD drives virtually silent

6. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    unless you are in a hurry i would just wait.

HR24's should be just around the corner as well as the new tivo boxes. I know I am not adding anymore boxes until I see what those new boxes are like. its a shame because I got an HD tv out of my camper for the winter that doesn't have anything but OTA hooked up to it.

7. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Currently, none of the D* HDDVRs can record more than 2 shows at the same time, regardless of number of tuners.

Uh, make that 2 OTA or SAT or any combination and a VOD.

8. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    There are good "first look" documents on this web site that give a lot of information about each of the models.

However, to summarize it all very briefly:
    HR20 has built in ota tuners. All the others require an add-on USB tuner ($50) if you want/need ota. And, the HR20's are silver - all the rest are black.

HR20, HR21 have roughly 350GB hard drives. HR22, HR23 have 500GB hard drives, so almost double the HD recording time.

HR23 does not require external b-band converters when used with a non-SWM dish (small "dongles" between sat coax and sat connectors on the back of the DVR).

My suggestion would be to go for an HR22 or HR23 (for the drive space).

9. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    A small correction as to hard drive size.
    The HR20-100 has 320GB whereas the HR20-700 has the 300 GB.
    HR21 has the 320GB drive.
    The HR22 and HR23 have 500 GB drives.

10. clcoyle

clcoyle Mentor

Jul 25, 2004
    Perfect...I really appreciate the summary, that was exactly what I was looking for.

11. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks. I was being lazy, which is why I said "roughly 350GB". The important item is that the HR22 and HR23 have the larger drive and greater recording capacity.

Not sure, but I think my HR20-700 has a 320GB. Not worth popping the cover to confirm though.

12. greg11a

greg11a Cool Member

Aug 21, 2007
    What is the story with RF capability on the models? DO they all have internal RF by default?

13. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    All support RF remotes. Some have the internal antenna, some require an external antenna. Check the various first look documents, they should pretty well identify which is which.

14. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    The HR20-100 didn't have the internal RF antenna. I had one of those for a few weeks till it died and got a hr21-100. If you want a unit now I would get a hr23, but if not wait a bit to see what the future holds for next unit or what is going to happen with tivo.

15. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Exactly, thats why I am hoping since E* is working on one with 4 tuners that will all be recordable at the same that D* and TiVo will be wise and make a DVR that has alot of storage space and has 3 or 4 tuners that can all record at the same time.

16. HolmesCo

HolmesCo Icon

Dec 4, 2006
    Does anyone have any notion when Tivo will be back on D* Is it really going to happen, or just talk so far? I wonder if they do it, if it will have the Dual Live Buffers we all talked so much about years ago :D

17. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Check the 'Tivo Anticipation Thread' (too lazy to look it up myself)

And... We have Dual Buffers right now (with DirecTV's HD DVR's). Its a feature known as Double Play.

18. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006