HELP!!! Elderly Father Moved Out And Canceled His DISH - When Can I Start My Own DISH Service?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Adrian Ochoa, Mar 4, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Mar 4, 2021 #1 of 26
    Adrian Ochoa

Adrian Ochoa New Member

Mar 4, 2021
    Hello,
    My father has lived with me and my family for many years and had DISH installed at my house since December of 2003. Recently, my father has moved to a new house where he can't receive Satellite T.V due to it's location, so he decided canceled his DISH service. How long would I have to wait to start my own DISH account and service at my location and have it re-installed at my house? I would like to have the service installed as soon as possible, but I worry if there were to be any complications considering it's been less than a month since he canceled the service at my house and moved out. Not to mention, the satellite is still up on my roof. I just want to have DISH again in my house with a new account under my name. Do you guys think this is possible?

2. Mar 4, 2021 #2 of 26
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Why wouldnt it be? Just get on their website and sign up. Not sure where you are, but they have next day installs available here. Might even be faster if you call and tell them you already have the dish and just need whatever receivers you want hooked up.

3. Mar 4, 2021 #3 of 26
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    You haven't called Dish already to start a new account ?

SInce your father canceled, YOU are a new subscriber, but DIsh might give you some flack on that. An adequate story that can be verified should help.

4. Mar 4, 2021 #4 of 26
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Just tell the truth and you will be fine.

Michael P likes this.
  5. Mar 4, 2021 #5 of 26
    Adrian Ochoa

Adrian Ochoa New Member

Mar 4, 2021

Hello, I’m just worried that we get rejected if the address is still registered on dad’s old account if I try to activate my own. So I was wondering if there was some sort of waiting period before someone can install DISH at a location where someone previously had the service?

6. Mar 5, 2021 #6 of 26
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    The ONLY thing I would think possibly be rejected is your eligiblity for "new Customer" status. And as James said - just tell the truth - there should not be any problems getting a new Dish account under your name at the same address.

Please let us know what your results are.

Grampa67 likes this.
  7. Mar 5, 2021 #7 of 26
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I believe that the only time the address is an issue is if the previous subscriber has an account balance.

8. Mar 5, 2021 #8 of 26
    krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    how can dish collect from a new customer at an old address. i don't think that would be legalo_O. when i first moved here our cable co tried that. making new customers pay off someones elses bill from the same address they even red flagged the joint. lets just say it didn't end to well for them

9. Mar 5, 2021 #9 of 26
    krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    even with different credentials like SSN and DOB:rolleyes:

10. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I cannot think that being an issue, unless the contract also had your name on it.

11. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    though time warner and now spectrum used to pull that crap. trying to make people pay other peoples bills that wern't on the acct just because the address had a balance on it

12. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    was your credentials an his contract??? if no then you should have no problem what so ever. and if they say the address has a balance on it then i would def file an fcc complaint providing your credentials wern't anywhere on his contract. were you an authorized user on his acct if so that might hinder you also. but other than that i see no issues. keep us updated and let us know how it goes. it don't surprize me what so ever with some of the stunts these companies try and pullo_O

13. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    That would not be legal....A phone call to a lawyer would take care of that quickly.

krel likes this.
  14. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    darn right it would!!!

15. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    It wouldn't be legal - and you wouldn't need a lawyer to tell them that !!!!

16. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Being in the right isn't going to insure that you win your battles.

17. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    By making it seem like the problem will go away if the balance is paid.

18. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS

It goes a LONG WAYS.

19. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Not legal to make someone else's bill if they didn't sign the contract or wasn't even an authorized user on that person's account. Dish would have to chase the person down. Wich they won't do they will just sell it to a debt colletor

20. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Y'all stay in a Holiday Inn last night? Let's get back to the topic.

tecnicoloco likes this.