1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Hr 24

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Jwaz, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Jwaz

Jwaz New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    I need help! I have a hr24-200 receiver and a sl5 dish. When I hook everything up it cannot verify setting? Any help appreciated

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    WE need some more information.
    How many coax connections are at the dish ?
    How is the TV hooked to the receiver ?

Welcome to the forum.

3. Jwaz

Jwaz New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Not sure on coax cable, but the sticker on dish say sl3PIG-P
    Tv is hooked via hdmi cable

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    That number is an SL3 and it is referred to as a legacy type. It has 4 coax connections. DirecTV SL3 Satellite Antenna 4 Output LNB 99 101 103 lnbf HD High Def SL3PIG-P | eBay

You need to have 2 coax cables hooked to this and hook them both up to your HR24.
    However, you also need Broad Band Converters ( BBC ).
    B Band Converter Zinwell DirecTV SUP-2400 for Module BBC SUP2400 TV KA-LO REV 3 | eBay

Once you have that connected you can go thru the satellite setup and change the dish to SL3 and choose for 2 tuners.
    Then it is just a matter of aiming it very carefully in the right direction.
    The satellite setup will give you some initial numbers to start the alignment with,'

5. Jwaz

Jwaz New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Ok
    So I need to run another cable from my dish to my receiver? I did notice on the receiver there is a sat1 and sat2 input. I do have one BBC, but your saying I need a BBC on each input?

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Correct.
    It can be set to use just 1 tuner in satellite set up for now and just use 1 coax and 1 BBC. Then you could align it while you wait for a second BBC and hook up the second coax.

7. Jwaz

Jwaz New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Ok. Great. I will run another cable and get another BBC. Just curious, it sounds like it will work with just one coax and BBC? If so, what is the advantage to running an additional coax and BBC? Will it work properly with just one coax/BBC?

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    In this setup 1 coax, record 1 program and watch a recording. 2 coaxes, record 2 programs at the same time while watching an already recorded program.

Now, lets go a different route. Buy another LNB that is SWM technology. It uses 1 coax and no BBCs and it records 2 programs while watching a previously recorded program.
    It you go this route which is preferable, you will also need a power inserter.
    Another advantage is that you can use a splitter to run a second , 3rd, etc. up to 8 tuners from that 1 coax.

DirecTV SWM SL3 LNB, Power & Splitter Green Slimline Satellite SWiM DTV LNBF 101 | eBay

9. Jwaz

Jwaz New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Got ya! All I really would like to do is watch one channel at a time, and possibly record, although I rarely even record. What would my satellite setting be when just using one coax/BBC? Does it matter if the single coax is connected to sat1 or sat2?

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    1 coax has to be connected to the Sat 1 input. You go into Setup, satellite setup and choose this SL3 and choose 1 Tuner.
    If you watch a pre recorded program you can record another program at the same time.
    If you are watching live TV then you can only record the program you are watching.

2 coaxes you can watch live TV and record a second program at the same time.

11. Jwaz

Jwaz New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    10-4. Multi switch in setup?

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yes

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Insomnia, Jimmie?

Rich

14. Jwaz

Jwaz New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Ok. I'm trying the setup you suggested with one coax/BBC. Coax connected to sat1 input with BBC. I tried the settings as you suggested, SL3, multi switch, and single tuner. Still not working. When it goes into the verification of settings, it times out. I then tried hitting "cancel" which took me to the advanced program guide screen where it loads to 98% , then freezes. Any suggestions?

15. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Sounds like you are not in alignment with the satellite.

16. Jwaz

Jwaz New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    I have another box connected in my living room with no issues? That box works fine?

17. Jwaz

Jwaz New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    IMG_8029.JPG My other box is an H23-600 with the setting above. Works fine. I'm baffled???

18. Jwaz

Jwaz New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    IMG_8027.JPG
    Here is a pic of the sticker on my dish.

19. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    That is perplexing.
    The number on the LNB is clearly a SL3.
    What happens if you change the H23 to SL3 ?

The H23 has the BBC built into it. That is why is shows not to install one.

20. Jwaz

Jwaz New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Lol. So I got it to work now. I changed the settings to match the pic I posted above of the one that is working. And now it's working. I certainly don't understand it, and I agree with you Jimmie. Perplexing. Thanks for your help, I couldn't have done it without your help. My hat is off to you for being so generous with your time and willingness to help. I learned a lot from your responses to my posts, THANK YOU