1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help-intermittant loss of sports channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by MUTTS, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Apr 1, 2011 #1 of 15
    MUTTS

MUTTS New Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Glad I found these forums.

Been a directv customer for about 11 years. In late October we had our dish upgraded. Also at that time we received 3 HR24 dvr/receivers and had a SWM installed.

Since that time the following has occured about one dozen times:

I lose programming mostly on the sports packages. For example, I came home early from work and thought Id put on the extra innings free preview. Instead of the games being on, I get the black screen with the white and blue directv logo. Now this is happening on one receiver only..the other two are fine--the games are being shown.

Last week I was watching the Lakers on NBA league pass...went up to bed and thought Id fall asleep to the game except the same problem occurred. Game was on in the family room, black screen with logo in the bedroom.

This has happened about a dozen times...again mostly with sports packages (first occurred with Sunday ticket). It affects all of the receivers at different times....the basement and bedroom are fine but the family room is out...or the bedroom is out and the others are fine. Almost always with the sports packages but it has happened with a few other channels.

I can fix the problem by resetting the receiver..it goes through the reboot and within 2-3 minutes after starting up the missing game reappears. Easy fix but its a big pain/inconvenience....especially if you were recording a game because youre not home.

Numerous calls to directv have been of no help. I got them to send someone out as I suggested either a bad swm or multiswitch. The repair guy didnt care because it was late in the day and he clearly didnt want to be here. He also couldnt see the problem because it doesnt occur every day. He replaced the swm and gave me a new multiswitch in case the swm swap failed. Well it happened the other night so I switched out the multiswitch and it happened again today with the baseball. It doesnt seem like a receiver problem....why would i have 3 bad receivers. Ive switched the multiswitch and the swm out.

Any suggestions before I call tech support back?

Much thanks in advance,
    Tony

2. Apr 1, 2011 #2 of 15
    1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    You need to explain your equipment setup a little clearer.

1. So you have a SWM setup with 3 HR24's, but is that SWM a separate box or do you have a SWM-LNB?

2. And what is this 'multiswitch' you are talking about? With a SWM setup, there are no multiswitches, unless you have a weird setup (like me) where one has a "half an half' cable plant with some receivers off the multiswitch and some off the SWM (I could do it all SWM but ran all the cable years before the SWM so..... what the hey)

3. what kind of splitter arrangement is in your SWM cable plant, etc. You might try drawing it out so folks can see what gives. Always helps in trying to visualize things...

It's very possible that there's either something going on with the cable run to that particular receiver OR with the splitter port it's on, or the unit itself (the receiver or the SWM). These kind of intermittent problems are always a bugger, but since you have identical DVR's (all three) have you tried swapping the funky acting unit around with one of the working ones, and see if the problem 'follows' that unit, or the unit swapped into that location starts acting funny.

The sports channels are constantly being re-mapped/updated and that might point to the DVR, but you need to swap it around and see what gives. But also keep some possible cable run / splitter problem in the back of your mind, depending on the result of swapping the unit around.

3. Apr 1, 2011 #3 of 15
    MUTTS

MUTTS New Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Im probably in over my head technically....its a swm..only one line in from the dish--used to have 4 and that then goes to a splitter which im assuming then is technically not the multiswitch. The splitter is a zinwell 8way wide band splitter
    (msplit8R1-03).

The problem is not unique to one dvr...happens to all 3...at different times.

You never lose a channel while watching it...its when you turn it on and its supposed to be there...you get the black screen.

does that help?

Tony

4. Apr 1, 2011 #4 of 15
    Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Are the 3 HR24s your only receivers or do you have more? If so what other receivers do you have?

5. Apr 1, 2011 #5 of 15
    MUTTS

MUTTS New Member

Apr 1, 2011
    only receivers i have

6. Apr 1, 2011 #6 of 15
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I'm betting on the setup having the wrong dish selected.

If you go to system info & test then choose more info what dish type does it say? Are all three the same?

Then can you describe your dish or post a picture?

7. Apr 1, 2011 #7 of 15
    MUTTS

MUTTS New Member

Apr 1, 2011
    slimline 3s...all 3 the same...

to see the dish ill have to wait for sunlight...its 28 degrees and dark in upstate ny :)

8. Apr 1, 2011 #8 of 15
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    17: slimline-3s (swm)?

9. Apr 1, 2011 #9 of 15
    MUTTS

MUTTS New Member

Apr 1, 2011
    slimline-3s (swm) yes

10. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    That is probably correct and may not be the problem.

11. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Okay, you got the swm-lnb (3s) and what they gave you extra was the 8-port wideband splitter, and the problem exists on all your squeaky-new DVR's, so taking a re-look at the setup may be in order. Since it is a 3s LNB, that means all your guide data comes off the 101 instead of the 119 (like owners of the slimline 5's do), so that narrows it down a bit more as well.

Just to make absolutely sure, the slimline-3 LNB setup is one feedhorn on the assembly, that actually feeds 3 LNB's for 99/101/103, and not three feedhorns (the SL-5) that feeds 5 LNB's. Just making sure, just that folks always get 'confused' on this 'stuff'.

So, even though the tech that came out should have looked at the 'dish setup' part of each DVR, it's worth a second or third or fourth look to super-verify.

12. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    With an actual SWM LNB, the receiver auto detects if it's a 3 or 5. It's impossible to select the wrong one.

13. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    So you're telling me that some programmer, who's in the loop for all the s/w upgrades, won't make an error or make an change in something that 'inadvertently' results in something in a 'completely different area' going 'off the track' so to speak. Good luck on that one!

Right now as we 'speak', I've been brought in by three companies to rectify a s/w problem that was triggered by something getting changed on a product resulting in in not working properly (it did before for over 2 years running), a cell phone manufacturer, the wireless carrier, and a 3rd party s/w programming company working for a major vendor.

Each is pointing the finger at the other two. Bottom line is, don't ever use that word 'impossible'. Carbon based lifeforms (known as 'humans') are involved. At this point, consider ourselves lucky the cell phones, or the DirecTV receivers in this case, aren't catching fire and burning someones house down. :lol:

The effect being seen by the OP is eerily like having the receivers set to the wrong type of antenna, which is what others have noted, so the first step is to make sure the equipment matches the settings, 'auto' or not.

14. MUTTS

MUTTS New Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Ok--so whats my next step???
    :)

thanx in advance

Tony

15. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    So you're absolutely sure that you have a single feedhorn type LNB, and I'll assume that of either type (3s or 5s) it's a swm type as well. After doing that, go to the setup section in each receiver and verify that the antenna type selected IS the antenna you have.

If all that checks out (matches correctly), then there is another problem (which may get sticky). I'll go out on a limb and since the tech left you the one 8port wideband splitter, and lacking a drawing of your cable setup, that you have only one splitter in your setup...?

If things are as you think, then the drawing becomes pretty important, as where the power supply is, how the splitter is arranged, etc., becomes a potential issue.