Help me understand...my local NBC station

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by iowaberg, Jul 26, 2008.

1. iowaberg

iowaberg Godfather

May 24, 2007
    I live in the Des Moines, IA market and we have yet to receive our local HD channels through DTV (although I hear we're close). I have my standard rabbit ears connected for now. Whenever, I tune in to watch the news at 6 or 10pm, they broadcast in your 4:3 screen format. However, occasionally, they will do a quick sports segment in true 16:9 HD. Why can't they do this all the time with their news broadcasts? Is their some kind of restriction placed on them? What gives?

2. beavis

beavis Icon

Jun 8, 2005
    My guess is that the studio cameras aren't HD but the ones used for sports coverage are. As for why, it's anybody's guess. Have you tried emailing the station manager?

3. arxaw

arxaw Icon

Jul 13, 2003
    What Beavis said. To do studio HD, they would basically have to build a new studio. They may be in the process of doing so. Ask them.

4. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    As arxaw said, it might be they are in transition mode and just moving to HD.

It is a lot of work for many studios, I know the ones around here had to rebuild their sets and such so they looked good on air in HD, not to mention all the equipment upgrades (cameras, production gear, etc.)

5. beavis

beavis Icon

Jun 8, 2005
    Not to mention extra makeup for the anchors. :grin:

6. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Not to mention the potential HR/EEOC/EOE/ADA issues surrounding the de-hiring
    of older, wrinkled on-air "talent" and the hiring of younger and smoother (HD-ready?)
    new on-air "talent" as replacements. But just think of the money the station will save
    over the next 10 years by not having to buy makeup by the drum!

:D

7. JonSamuels

JonSamuels Legend

Jun 26, 2007
    Cedar...