1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me understand RSN and DVR fees?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by SVTarHeel, Dec 26, 2017.

1. SVTarHeel

SVTarHeel Mentor

Oct 20, 2010
    Winston-Sale...
    I posted in the "anyone called DirecTV and reduced their bill?" thread that I called last week and was instantly offered $50/mo. off for 12 months. We don't subscribe to any movie or sports packages, so I guess that's why nothing else was credited or offered at a reduced rate. Now, I'm looking over the details of my bill (pictured), trying to see what else can be trimmed.

Here are the details, with a few questions:
    • I think the HD Extra Pack can easily be jettisoned.
    • I don't remember watching any of the Regional Sports Nets. Does anyone know what packages allow for no RSN fee being charged?
    • We replaced an HR24 with an HR44 Genie, but we still have the HR24. Its hard drive is almost full but it had started acting up - not sure if the issue was HD or box related. Can I kill one of those $7 fees by taking that box off my account and, assuming they don't want it returned, still have the option of reactivating it in the future?
    • If the above work, I can shave an additional $17+/mo. off my bill, not counting any savings that might come from moving to a lower priced package. Since I'm on a grandfathered package, I want to make sure I think that through from all angles.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Attached Files:

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    That $50 off might be contingent on keeping the same package you have, and be reduced or even completely eliminated if you switch to a lower package. Otherwise you could switch to the lowest package they have and they might owe you money each month :)

crodrules likes this.
  3. SVTarHeel

SVTarHeel Mentor

Oct 20, 2010
    Winston-Sale...
    During the conversation, and after that $50/mo. credit, she suggested changing plans as another way to save money, so I'm thinking it wouldn't be contingent.

4. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    The unadvertised "Preferred Xtra" package has no RSN and drops most (but not all) of the sports channels. Otherwise it's roughly comparable to Ultimate. You have to ask explicitly for this, you won't find it on the web site. But the price is close to that of Xtra (before RSN), so it may be more than you want to spend.

5. SVTarHeel

SVTarHeel Mentor

Oct 20, 2010
    Winston-Sale...
    Thanks, that's very helpful to know. I'll check that out.

I guess the 2 issues I'm looking for knowledgeable feedback on are 1) any cons to taking off the HR24 box we're not using? and 2) any pitfalls that might come along with changing packages, i.e. are there any grandfathered discounts shown on my attached bill pic that would be lost by changing packages?

Thanks again...

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If you fill the HRs HDDs up, they will "act up". I keep mine at about half full to keep that from happening. I was using my 44 to watch a football game yesterday and the 44 was kinda "laggy", wasn't responding to remote commands as well as it usually does. I haven't paid much attention to the 44 recently and found the HDD was over three quarters full, deleted a bunch of series and got down to 25% full and had no more remote problems. Try that.

Rich

7. SVTarHeel

SVTarHeel Mentor

Oct 20, 2010
    Winston-Sale...
    Thanks Rich. This was more than laggy remote response. In fact, I noticed you replied to the thread I posted to get some troubleshooting help on that box - Are these symptoms of a dying HR24 unit or hard drive?

If I remember correctly, it was something like 75-85% full, not 97%. In saying the hard drive was almost full, I was meaning it more as an excuse for why I kept the flaky box on hand.

8. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    You can and should deactivate the HR24. You will be able to reactivate it later should you choose.

I'm not seeing any promotional pricing on your bill other than the $10 off HD for auto-pay which I thought they did away with a long time ago.

9. crodrules

crodrules Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    Yeah, when I upgraded my Directv service to HD in November 2014, I had auto-pay, and I never got that $10 per month discount. :(

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's too full. You will see more than a laggy remote, the thing just won't work correctly. This is why I put 2TB drives in or on all my 24s. I try to keep them at half full and have very few problems.

Rich

11. SVTarHeel

SVTarHeel Mentor

Oct 20, 2010
    Winston-Sale...
    Rich, is that something you did yourself?

Is the "Preferred Xtra" package the only one that allows for no regional sports network channels/fees?

12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Rich, I am throughly convinced that’s not the true issue. I think the problem is the number of recordings combined with all the recordings on all the other DVRs too. Not space taken but quantity of recordings.

I say this because I run 4tb hard drives and I don’t see a slow down problem on a genie when it’s got less than 10% free.. and I never have. Yet you seem to have this issue a lot. I have to believe it’s tied to the fact you have so many DVRs and it has to pull so much from so many. It just doesn’t make sense to me otherwise.

With that said I have a boat load of recordings as well on a 4tb drive so it may also be a combination of HR24 with the quantity or something. But I just dint buy the full thing on genies. Ok maybe an HR34... but not the others. It’s got to be something else in conjunction too...

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup. When I got D* and found out how much better a DVR is than a VCR I got interested in the HDDs. Knew nothing about them but wanted more capacity. Found out how to change HDDs in the SD TiVos (owned at the time, no leasing) and when the switch to HD DVRs occurred in the Fall of '06 I began to wonder how I could "legally" put bigger drives in the HRs. Found out the only way not to get in trouble was to have "owned" HRs. Bought a bunch of owned HRs on eBay and Craigslist and I've been putting in 2TB drives ever since. Well, I'm not putting 2TB drives in them anymore, we don't record enough content to make that worthwhile.

I did find out that the HRs run better with a large HDD (2TB limit on the 24s) internally installed.

I can't answer your last question, I pay no attention to details on the packages, I just tell them what I want and ask for the cheapest package that will give me what I want.

Rich

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Only with the two tuner HRs. Even with a 2TB drive. I know the 24s will slow down as you fill up the drive, have no doubt about that. Keep them half full and you will have no issues due to capacity.

You have told me time and time again that the Genies don't have that problem. I've always doubted that opinion, why wouldn't they have that problem? Well, the other day, I was using my 44 (the 24-100 I have sitting under the 44 is used to play content from the 44 because of the SW problems I have with that DVR, kills me that I have to pay the equipment fees because of that SW, why the hell doesn't it mirror the 24s SW? Anyway, the HDD went kaput in that and it took me forever to get the proper tuit, so I had to use the 44.) and I noticed it was kinda laggy. Checked the capacity and I had let it get over 75% full. Deleted a bunch of movies and series we were never gonna watch, did the CLEARMYBOX thing and then did a menu reset (I have also had issues using the RBR method and don't do that if I can avoid it) and the 44 was back to normal.

That's my only experience with an overloaded HDD on a Genie. What happened was exactly what I thought would happen, the DVR slowed down. If I loaded that HDD up again would the 44 slow down again? I have to think it would. I don't see how my other HRs would affect the 44, I've never seen a 24 with a near full HDD negatively affect another 24. What's different about a 44?

Another thing to think about: We would not be having this conversation if you hadn't talked me into buying the 44...don't get me wrong, I don't regret buying it.

As always,

Rich

15. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    LMAO... my HR24 at worst case is a measly **10% FULL** and I still have a laggy remote or laggy DVR. Seems like every night at around 5 to 7pm, the ol' "15 seconds to update the UI every time you click the remote" rears its ugly head.

16. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Rich, i have had my 4tb genie with 0% free and when its isolated from other boxes, has zero change than when its empty. When I add a couple other boxes, it still is fine. But I do recall years ago when I had 6 or seven dvrs they would slow down with to many dvrs with full playlists. I think it slows down the combining of the playlists...

And yeah, I know.. ;)

17. crodrules

crodrules Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    "Entertainment," "Select," and "Family," if I remember correctly. I am sure someone can chime in if there are any others.

18. techguy88

techguy88 Member

Mar 19, 2015
    You might be able to go down to Preferred Xtra and save money if you don't watch any of the sports channels. Going below that may cause you to lose the Free HD Access depending on when you signed up for that.

19. crodrules

crodrules Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    Even with the HD fee (if Directv still charges that) those lower packages would still be cheaper, though.

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I had as many as twelve HRs on MRV and saw no slowness that I thought was caused by having so many on that system. I did have a hard time keeping them connected. In any event, it happened. All I did was dump content that had been on that HDD for ages. I did nothing else but the resets after that. It's back to being speedy again. And that's with eight 24s on MRV.

I just put a 500GB drive in a 24-100. That HR is back to being speedy again. I'm beginning to think all (or most of) the slowness we see is caused in some way (other than overfilling the drive) by the HDDs. Perhaps the age of the HDDs? I dunno. But I've put two hardly used, empty, small HDDs in two 24-100s recently and both are running like new. I had 2TB drives in every 24 (except the 200), I see no need for that much capacity anymore.

Did you see that video of someone putting an internal HDD in a 54 that was posted here a week or two ago? The guy bent a paperclip so that he could force the clips on the lid to stay back so he could take the lid off. He stuck the paperclip in each hole and the clips stayed back. I tried that on the 24-100. Those clips go right back to holding the lid when you pull the paperclip out. Once again I had to use plastic strips to hold back the clips so I could remove the lid. Is the 54 different, clip-wise? Never had one.

Rich