1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help on new install HR44-500

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by wildcat48, Sep 7, 2017.

1. wildcat48

wildcat48 Cool Member

Apr 7, 2004
    Hello.... I had an installer out to my house today to install a new HR44-500 with two wireless video bridge and two wireless clients. When my wife got home she was horrified (no joke) at the mess the tech left. He left all the coax cable from Spectrum in place and there was coax cable from when we previously had DTV. Anyway, me being me, I began to take out the old wire but it was so tangled that I disconnected the new installation as well. Now I'm having trouble getting it back together.

I have a coax cable from the wall that is connected to a 4way splitter. The HR44-500 is connected to the splitter, the swm is connected to the splitter and video bridge is connected to the splitter. I'm left with one open connection, but I'm not able to figure out what went there.

Also, do I need to connect a Ethernet cable to the receiver?

Thanks for the help!

2. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    Second question first. Ethernet from HR44 to router is now the "preferred" connection but the HR44 can connect wireless or via DECA if router not in proximity to HR44.
    If you have the HR44 and 2 wireless bridges then there will only be 3 legs of the 4 way splitter. The 4th needs to have a terminator (cap with a center wire). The setup should simply be Dish -> one wire into splitter -> 3 coax out -> one to HR44 and one each to the 2 wireless bridges.

Hope that helps

Doctor j

3. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008

I think he was saying that he had all the ports used prior to the disconnection, which would make sense if he had the power inserter in the splitter, too....which is what he may be calling SWM. All that being true, you'd have the single wire from the dish coming into the splitter, the power inserter in the power passing port (port 1 with red line) and the other 3 connections in any other of the 3 open ports.

4. wildcat48

wildcat48 Cool Member

Apr 7, 2004
    Thank you doctor j and J Blow for your assistance. It was greatly appreciated. To clarify... I only have one wireless bridge, not two as I wrote - my bad. Only three of the four legs were needed to get the service back up and running. I had one coax connection from the wireless bridge, one from the power inserter and one from the HR44-500 itself. I connected the HR44-500 to my internet router via an Ethernet cable and the system came right back no issues. It was quite simple. I was just overthinking it. Thank you again for your help!

5. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    Glad it's working

Doctor j

6. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    If you have all of this behind your TV where your HR-44 is you don't need all of that crap.... The you don't need the splitter there at all.... The line coming from the wall to the splitter should be put on the RED power pass (to LNB) side of the power inserter.... The Orange side (out to stb) should go to the In port on the the WVB (it will say towards LNB) .. Then unscrew the 75 ohm terminator off the other port and connect that line to your in port on the HR-44.....