Help Please! - HR20-700 HD DVR Recording Wrong Channel

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by kbcherry, Apr 22, 2009.

1. kbcherry

kbcherry New Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Hi All, I'm hoping some of you experts can help me troubleshoot an issue that just started occuring on one of my HD DVRs. Last Friday, I had DTV come out to swap out an old reciever and remove my 18 inch dish (2nd dish required for 72.5). While they were there I also had them go ahead and install the SWM lnb on my remaining Slimline-5 dish.

Everything seemed to function normally after the work was completed... but later in the evening my HR20-700 HD DVR started to have issues. Some of my series recordings completed but when I went to play them from the List they would automatically jump to the end and ask if I wanted to delete, I couldn't watch anything. A red button reset took care of that. But the problem has continued to occur. I also have a series recording set to record American Idol on Fox (local HD channel 43), but what I discovered is that the DVR was actually recording Showtime. The banner/menu had the American Idol info, but the actual content was from SHowtime.

I called DTV customer service and the rep told me that my system would need to be completely reset and everything erased. She also said it was not a known issue and most likely not related to the recent work that had been done. And that very well may be the case but I never had a problem in 2 years until this happened. I really don't want to lose all of my settings/recordings unless absolutely necessary. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give me!

2. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I've not heard of it having the banner from the SL but recording on a completely different channel. That's a weird one. :scratchin

Did the CSR tell you what to do to completely reset everything? If so are you saying it didn't work or are you looking for alternatives?

How are your signal strengths?

I would try unplugging it for about thirty minutes and see if this helps.

I would force a download of the current firmware before I wiped out my hard drive but that's just me.

Mike

3. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    Also, which satellite is setup on your HR20? Press and hold the INFO button, and a screen will appear to tell you. Definitely also post your signal strengths.

4. kbcherry

kbcherry New Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Thanks for the reply!

I have not done the complete hard reset yet, I was hoping to get some ideas here before I do that. So thanks for the suggestion of unplugging for 30 minutes, I will try that one tonight. I will also try to force the firmware download. I'm sure if I search on here I can find some pretty good instructions.

Thanks again for the quick response!

5. kbcherry

kbcherry New Member

Sep 24, 2007
    I will check that when I get home as well. Thanks for the suggestion. Also I have not checked the signal strength but the technician that came out said that he put the signal meter on it while he was up there and made sure it was aligned properly. But I will check that as well.

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Power off [pull power cord] for 10-15 min.
    Do a menu reset twice within a few min will cause the guide data to "dump" and rebuild fresh.
    With a SWM, there really isn't much else.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Also, another thing to try before resetting everything would be redoing your satellite setup. If the issue is bad channel mapping data, I think this might help it.

8. kbcherry

kbcherry New Member

Sep 24, 2007
    All of these have been great suggestions. I will give them a try tonight and report feedback over the next few days.

9. kbcherry

kbcherry New Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Ok, so I tried to do everything that has been suggested. I unplugged the DVR for about 45 minutes. Then I ran through resetting the unit twice by using the menu. I also went back through setup and setup the SAT again. One think I noticed that was odd that going through setup it say that I am setup with a Slimline 3 with SMW when in actuality I still have a Slimline 5 dish with just the SMW lnb. So I attempted to reconfigure it and switch it to Slimline 5 and SMW but after it completed the guide download it had automatically switched itself back to Slimline 3. I don't know if that means there is an issue there or not. I also tried to check signal strength but I'm not sure I know what I am looking at. When I looked at Tuner strentgth every satellite for both tuners was in the mid to high 90's. I had to do all of this late in the evening as to not to mess with my wife's recordings. And so last night I was having a lot of the same problems as before. Some of the shows didn't record at all or would just go straight to the black screen and the end of the recording. Again, this was before I walked through the suggested steps everyone gave me so I will need to monitor it tonight. Also, it appears that all of my problems are ocurring with just my locals. Since I had the small dish removed, could this be part of the problem?

Again, thanks a ton for the help!

10. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    You should have been able to select the correct dish.

Here is a thread that might help you figure it out.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=1625026&highlight=satellite+setup#post1625026

Mike

11. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You switched from a 2-dish install that used 72.5 to a single dish install where locals moved to 99 or 103, correct? Try deleting all of the series links for your local channels (in the prioritizer), then re-enter the series links by identifying the programs on the new local channels. I think the DVR is somehow still trying to use the logic to switch to the 72.5 dish, which is what is causing the switch to Showtime (or whatever).

12. kbcherry

kbcherry New Member

Sep 24, 2007
    You are correct. Thats another good idea that a friend of mine also suggested today. I may try that tonight if the recordings are off again.