1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Please on reducing costs for adding another receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by RobertTX, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Nov 4, 2012 #1 of 28
    RobertTX

RobertTX Cool Member

May 23, 2012
    I am a new customer to DirecTV (since June 2012). When I signed up I got the H34-700 and one H21-200. At the time I could have gotten up to 4 receivers but didn't think I needed more (my bad).
    I now need another H21-200 (my Mother-In-Law is staying with us for an extended period of time) and it seems they are really sticking it to me (~ $170 for receiver, service fee and shipping charges).
    I would be willing to pay the $99 for the receiver and the $20 for shipping but the $50 service fee (charge based on account status and rating) is out of the question. I'm on automatic payment so I've never been late on making payments so I assume it's because I'm a "new" customer.

So I'm looking for suggestions on how to get rid of the service fee (I've talked to multiple CSRs and they can't/won't get rid of the service fee) or another way to add a receiver. Should I talk to a "retention" rep? Should I get a receiver off of eBay?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

2. Nov 4, 2012 #2 of 28
    Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Try www.solidsignal.com

Going this route also allows you to choose which receiver you want. That's something that DIRECTV won't guarantee.

3. Nov 4, 2012 #3 of 28
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Of course at that point you have to wire it yourself. Easy for some, not so much for everyone, especially in a new room.

4. Nov 4, 2012 #4 of 28
    macfan601

macfan601 New Member

May 3, 2012
    I bought all of my receivers except for my HR34 off of eBay. I have saved hundreds over the years. I do all of my own installations on the inside of my condo/townhouse anyway as I want them done right and neatly. Besides when you purchase your receivers off of eBay you can pick the model you want and be assured of getting it. Sorry Directv but all HR2xx receivers are not equal in spite of what you may say. Nothing against Solid Signal as they are just a few miles from me, but you can do better than their prices.

As to "dpeters11" comment, if you can't wire up a Directv receiver yourself, or have the wire/coax and tools to do so, Directv is probably not the TV service for you. Directv is not, nor should it be, your father's TV service.

5. Nov 4, 2012 #5 of 28
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Did you really mean H34-700? Or is it an HR24? Did you get MRV installed?
    I'd go with the purchase/lease another receiver elsewhere and do your own installation.

6. Nov 4, 2012 #6 of 28
    RobertTX

RobertTX Cool Member

May 23, 2012
    Yes I got MVR (whole home DVR service).

I can easily hook up another receiver because they brought the main line into the house distribution box and then out to both the living room (H34) and the master bedroom (H21). So it's just a matter of connecting it to the outlet in the guest bedroom.

Which unit should I get for the guest bedroom? I don't need recording capability becuse I use the H34 and then any unit can access the recorded shows.

7. Nov 4, 2012 #7 of 28
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Ok, so guess I shouldn't have it then. I wouldn't really know how to get the coax from the splitter to a room on the other side of the house, and I don't do well with getting up to the second floor in a ladder.

8. Nov 4, 2012 #8 of 28
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'd go with an H25 myself, since you have SWM.

9. Nov 4, 2012 #9 of 28
    macfan601

macfan601 New Member

May 3, 2012
    I would go with a H24. It is self contained, no outside power pack, and has built in RF.

10. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    WOW Another that shares my beliefs ! I get pounded on here with some that are Directv drones trying to make it sound you should lease ! :mad:

11. macfan601

macfan601 New Member

May 3, 2012
    Sorry, I keep forgetting that everyone is not a rehab addict like my self and a hand tool/power tool collector. I very rarely pay anyone to do anything for me except if it is a speciality service or requires special or unusual tools. I have torn apart and rebuilt just about every area of my condo/townhouse.

12. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Then, there's people like myself who are disabled. It's not easy getting my 200 lbs wheelchair in the attic to run coax. :lol:;)

13. macfan601

macfan601 New Member

May 3, 2012
    Sorry about your disability and trust me I do understand. But I have had both a heart attack and cancer and don't let that stop me. I work alone too. It is not always easy but I have rigged up some ingenious things to be my helper and support. I just recently rigged up a no cost way of lifting a 100 lb. cabinet and holding it while I screwed it into the wall studs. I often handle 4 X 8 sheets of material or 10' long material by myself. I have especially gotten very good with electrical. The only problem I really have that I have not found a way to over come is working above my head. My bad heart has difficulty pumping blood when I raise my arms over my head.

14. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I like and appreciate your creativity. You gotta adapt in life.

15. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Reach horizontally into beer cooler at local convenience store. Call friends to come drink beer. Tell friends beer is above your head, and hand them a tool. Tell them while they are up there, please screw that thing to the wall studs. Then remember to tell them beer is in the fridge. :)

16. RobertTX

RobertTX Cool Member

May 23, 2012
    Ok let me give you more information about how my current installation is set up.

The line from the satellite dish comes into the house and goes to the "in" on a two way Splitter SWM 2 way (MSPLIT2R1-03).
    One "out" on the splitter goes to the master bedroom and hooks to a Connected Home Adapter (DECA1MRO-01) which in turn feeds a coax to the receiver (H21-200) and ethernet cable to the receiver.

The other "out" on the splitter goes to the "power to SWM" on SWM Power inverter.
    Then a coax cable goes from the "Signal to IRD" of the SWM Power Inverter to a splitter in the Family Room with one coax going to the receiver (H34-700) and the other coax going to the Deca Broadcast Adapter (DECABB1MRO-01).

Hope that all made sense.

So my question is can I take the coax cable (going to the master bedroom)that comes out of the Splitter SWM 2 way and feed it to a distribution panel which in turn will feed multiple rooms in the house?
    Or do I need to get a larger splitter (3 way) so I can feed the guest bedroom?

Also will I need to get another Connected Home Adapter for the receiver in the guest bedroom?

17. macfan601

macfan601 New Member

May 3, 2012
    I am confused. Since you have SWM, don't you have a 4 way SWM splitter off of the power inserter?

18. RobertTX

RobertTX Cool Member

May 23, 2012
    Nope, the cable from the satellite goes to the "in" on a Splitter SWM 2 Way (MSPLIT2R1-03).
    One "out" goes to the Master beroom and the other "out" goes to the "power to SWM" port on the SWM power inserter (inverter?).

The "Signal to IRD" port on the SWM power inserter goes to the Family room and gets split for the receiver (H34) and the Decca Broadcast Adapter (DECABB1MRO-01).

19. macfan601

macfan601 New Member

May 3, 2012
    OK, I think I have it figured out now. That H21 receiver is pretty old and may not be a SWM receiver. You kind of have a mess on your hands. I think the installer actually is splitting the feed from your dish two ways. One is going to the non SWM H21 and the other is going to your SWM DVR. Which feed you split again will depend on what kind of a receiver you add, whether it is a SWM receiver or not.

20. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    The H21 is SWM compatible.