Help ... something has changed ...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Janice805, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Janice805

Janice805 Legend

Nov 26, 2005
    To make a very long story shorter, I've been with Direct TV for almost 20 years and had the Premier Pkg. Earlier this year I accidently got locked into Comcast for 2 years (another 18 months to go) but also kept DTV (but downgraded to Select). Yes, there are some nice things about Comcast but at heart I'm a DTV customer (better picture/more reliable receivers for sure).

So today I upgraded from Select to Choice. I have a Genie HR44 and one HR24. I just called DTV to get a third device (since DTV will be my primary TV service). I was willing to pay another $7 x month but she wanted me to pay another $99 and said I need a service technician.

Why? I recently turned in another HR24 and have wiring in the room where I want to put the Client. Can't they just mail be a Client (free) and I hook it up as if it was a HR24? What's changed here?

Janice

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Was the $99 for the service call or the new client?

3. Janice805

Janice805 Legend

Nov 26, 2005
    I have the $7.99 Protection Plan. I believe she said it was for the Client.

4. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Call Retention. Always call Retention. There is a number, don't remember it (anybody know what it is?). What you do is call the D* number and tell robovoice, "I want to cancel service". You will be connected to Retention. They should be able to help.

Somebody, please come up with that number, I'll put it in my phone and won't have to ask again!!!

Rich

5. Janice805

Janice805 Legend

Nov 26, 2005
    It's OK. Last night they wanted $99 for the Client. Today, it is free to ME (yea). Did NOT have to call Retention. Anyway, they are bringing a C61K to me tomorrow morning which will be added to my older Genie and HR-24. Btw. They tried to get me to try their new Genie 2 System. Sounded good (2 TB, 7 Tuners), but I don't know enough about it just yet. Anyone want to recommend it? Thanks.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Call the regular number and say "Customer Retention", or "Contract End Date", or "Customer Loyalty".
    Say it until a live person comes on. I usually call during the 8 to 5 business hours Monday thru Friday. Don't have much luck on the weekends.

800-824-9077

7. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    You will lose your HR24 since you can only use clients with the HS17. Don't do it!

8. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Thanx, I put it on my phone. Wait, that is Retention's direct line right?

Rich

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I don't know. I have not called it. However, several have listed it in the thread about have you called for discounts, share your results.

10. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It's Retention's (or whatever it's called now) direct line, just called it. Couldn't get off the phone with the RCSR. He had all kinds of questions about NJ...good times! He did check on the Access Card Department...might not even exist anymore. Geez.

Rich

11. Janice805

Janice805 Legend

Nov 26, 2005
    Well, rep said NO CHARGE for the mini yesterday, but today I get an e-mail stating $106.xx added to my account. I hope with Direct TV (now that they're owned by AT&T) that Customer Service doesn't become bad. After 8 months of primarily using Xfinity (w/DTV as my alternate) I can say with certainty that Xfinity really has problems with Customer Service (along with other stuff). You can call 100 reps and get 100 different answers.

First thing I noticed when I first called DTV the last few days was that every time I called I got an overseas person. Now I can say with two different calls I've gotten two different answers. OH NO, not my beloved Direct TV. Last post on this subject. I promise. DTV installer coming in a few minutes.

12. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    D*'s customer service has never been great, I think. But others are worse. Really hard to say who's the worst. And it varies by location I guess.

Rich

13. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    How many series do you record? How do you chose what you record on the HR24 vs the hr44 now?

14. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    You were going to Pay a lease fee (When you add any receiver) -No matter what for any receiver -from D* or Amazon, hd or Mini $99 -HDDVR, Hr44 or Hr54 $199 -

Had you kept the hR24 (you returned) With the PP you may have gotten the mini "FREE" as an upgrade other than that-you can expect $99 charge