1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!--Son wants advice.......................

Discussion in 'The OT' started by parlyle, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parlyle

parlyle AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 19, 2003
    I need some good input as to how my son can outfit his new apartment in Washington DC.
    He just graduated from American University, and will be working in DC.
    He has an apartment already, but wants to get a TV/Sound System.
    I told him I would put it out to the DBSTalk forum, and others. Hope you guys and gals can help. Here's the skinny.....................

1. He wants a reliable 40-46 inch, LCD, Plasma, Flat Screen TV. HD tuner built in for around $1600.00

2. A wall mounting kit for said TV.

3. The TV will mount over the fireplace, and he wants a good sound system, with shelf speakers, that will not be in the way of the fireplace. Wants to pay about $500.00-$600.00

4. He has 2 choices for Cable in DC area.
    A. Comcast
    B. RCN, Whatever this is. I have never heard of it.

Well this is it for the choices he has. I would be very appreciative for any comments or suggestions as to what he should do.

Thanks for the responces:

Lyle

2. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I'd say for the TV, Samsung. They seem to have about the best reputation these days. Circuit City is advetising the Samsung LNT4042H for $1339 ($1599-$260 savings) this week. They don't have stores iin the district, but quite a few in the suburbs.
    They also have the Onkyo HTSR800 Home Theater in a Box system for $459 after $40 savings. I'm not a big fan of Onkyo speakers (based on the ones with the Onkyo HTS-760B HTIB I bought a few years ago), but the receiver is a 7:1 receiver with 2 channel HDMI passthru switching and is XM Radio/XM+ HD ready. He would probably be quite happy with it. I'm not at all fond of Sony or Panasonic HTIB systems.
    As to cable, I'd suggest Comcast. They seem to be the best of the cable providers. My daughter lives in Patterson, NY -- they used to be served by RCN, but I think they now have Comcast.

3. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    RCN is a cable overbuilder, they have limited HD selections, but their broadband may be faster then Comcast depending on the location.

4. convem24

convem24 Icon

Mar 11, 2007
    Regardless of what he does, if he mounts the TV to the wall he might void his lease. He needs to check his lease to see if he can mount a TV in his apartment or not (my buddy got royally screwed for not checking, he had to pay $1000 to the complex he lives in). No matter what he does he needs to know what he can and cannot do.

5. parlyle

parlyle AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 19, 2003
    Thanks for the posts. I will be talking to him in the next few days and will let him know what ideas have been suggested.
    It really is great to have the input of others who know a lot more than me about this stuff.
    Keep it coming.
    Thanks again:

Lyle

6. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    I'd be careful with Samsung. I have a DVD recorder which stopped working right now. It has taken me six calls to get any help with tech support. Originally, they quoted me $30 for labor for this. The next person quoted me $64. I've had four calls since just trying to get this resolved. This included one person hanging up because I wanted to talk to a supervisor. They're approaching Microsoft's customer service, in my book.

I'll never recommend or buy another Samsung product. Also, there have been issues with some Samsung's working with DirecTV's HR20.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    My experience with Samsungs has been excellent, but I'll just say this (and I'll probably get boo'd out of town)

There are a lot of average people out there who think that there isn't a lot of noticeable difference between a $1,000 TV and a $1,500 TV. Depending on your requirements and your own level of sophistication, you might be perfectly happy with a less expensive one, and that extra $500 could buy you a Blu-Ray player or game system.

8. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Samsung has a good reputation for quality when it comes to LCD television receivers. If you're willing to stretch the budget somewhat, Best Buy has a sale on the Samsung model LN-T4061F 40 inch 1080p LCD HDTV for $1799 and the Sony KDL40V2500 40 inch 1080p at the same price. This is about the lowest price I've seen for a mainstream 1080p LCD. You can find lower priced LCD's by Vizio and Olevia, but you probably give up a bit in picture quality. Go up in price a bit, and you have the Sony Bravia and Sharp Aquos lines.

Better still, have him join Costco or Sam's Club. They have Sony Bravia and Sharp Aquos 40 inch TV's for around $1500. Both companies have stores within 20 miles of DC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.