help trimming bill for two 622s

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by chriscpmtmp, Dec 12, 2010.

1. chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp Legend

May 13, 2006
    I've been running two 622s for a while now. Everything is working, but the bill keep creeping up. Last year I bumped up from the 200 package to the 250 package during the hockey playoffs, and ended up paying more than when I started once I bumped back down.

I have the 200 pack with locals, a $6 DVR fee, a $17 Duo fee, a $6 warranty fee and then the stuff for the premiums. I own both 622s.

I'm wondering if it would be better to lease two 722, then drop the warranty and sell the 622s? I can't seem to find a straight answer on the dishnetwork website on the cost for leasing. I thought I'd post here first, so I'd be armed for the call to the CSR. I'm not a slinger, so I don't think I need the 922.

Any comments would be welcome.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You would likely be able to lease the first 722 at no cost, but you'd need to wait a year before they'd give you the second for free. There is very, very little "advantage" to owning receivers anymore. Activating a leased receiver does come with a 2-year commitment, though.

3. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    You would still have a $17.00 charge for the second 722. There is no difference between leasing and owning for receiver charges.

4. chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp Legend

May 13, 2006
    Thanks. If I go to the lease, is there any need for the warranty?

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The Service Plan does a few things:

- Tech visits cost $15 instead of $95.
    - Enables owned equipment to be replaced with owned equipment (and no commitment)
    - Free or discounted shipping for directly-mailed equipment

You'll have to decide if it's worth it for you. Leased receivers will be replaced if they fail, but without the SP you'll pay shipping or for the tech roll.

6. jaymz

jaymz Cool Member

Dec 1, 2009
    I just replaced a 622 that went belly up. Since I don't have the service plan, it cost me $15 to ship it to me and the fee included return shipment to Dish. I had the old 622 for 5 yrs and saved plenty of $$$$ not having the service plan. Of course, it's a crap shoot, but I'd drop the SP if I were you.

Jim