1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Will realignment fix 771 problem with HD channels?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jnelaine, Aug 26, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jnelaine

jnelaine Legend

Jun 8, 2008
    I've been having a problem with getting a 771 error on a few of my HD channels (MTV-HD, SCIFI-HD, A&E-HD). This happens on all three of my HR22 units and has been that way for at least a few months. I'm having a tech come out tomorrow and I'm wondering if realigning the dish will solve the problem.

I got up on the roof over the weekend and checked all the connections (and cleaned a tiny bit of bird poop off the dish) and they worked for a little while, but then went back to not working. I saw another thread where some people have problems at different parts of the day due to the dish heating up, but that's not my problem. These channels are out 99% of the time.

I ran a signal strength test, but I have no idea which satellite or transponder transmits those channels. Here's a breakdown of what I'm getting:
    103c: About 50% on the even transponders and 0% on odds (EDIT: actually it's 50% on odds and 0% on evens)
    103s: There are a lot of 0s
    99s: Transponders 1, 3 and 5 are out
    99c: Odd transponders average about 75%, evens around 67%.

I'm hoping that a re-alignment of the dish will solve the problem because I really don't want the tech to mess with my setup. What do you think? Let me know if you need any more info about my setup.

Thanks,
    Jay

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    This should be a dead give away and "yes" alignment is the first thing to look at/get done.

3. jnelaine

jnelaine Legend

Jun 8, 2008
    That's what I was hoping to hear. So do all those channels come over 103c? Is there a transponder list for HD channels? I found plenty of lists for SD channels, but didn't have much luck figuring out what sats/transponders send the HD channels.

4. jnelaine

jnelaine Legend

Jun 8, 2008
    I actually had this backwards - the odds on 103c average around 50% and the evens are mostly 0 (or sometimes 20%).

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "You know" it really doesn't matter which channels come from which SAT/TP. You have low levels for both 99c & 103c that should be resolved.
    Once that gets done with levels in the mid 80s to 90s+, then we can trace and other issues you "might" have, but lets to the basics first.

6. jnelaine

jnelaine Legend

Jun 8, 2008
    Agreed. I have a crystal-clear shot at the south-western sky (from my home in Virginia), so hopefully it will be a snap for the tech to re-align the dish. Thanks, I'll post back tomorrow and let you know how it went.

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    "hopefully it will be a snap for the tech to re-align the dish."

Ah, an optimist. First thing you've got to do is find an installer that can actually correctly align your dish. If the first attempt doesn't work, get it aligned again. If that doesn't work, your third call to D* should get you referred to the CMG (Case Management Group) and they will stick with you until you get it properly aligned. Don't accept another poor alignment. It might work perfectly until the installer is gone and go right back to giving you the 771s again. Don't give up, keep the pressure on D* to get your problem resolved.

To even consider that three HRs doing the same thing, having the same issues is the fault of the HRs is illogical. Don't let them force replacement units on you, the HRs are almost certainly not at fault.

Rich

8. jnelaine

jnelaine Legend

Jun 8, 2008
    So what's a good test to determine if my dish is aligned properly? Should I be getting 80% or more on all transponders on all sats? I assume that's probably not possible, but I really don't know.

Well, the other thing that I didn't mention is that I have a SWM-8 on the roof which feeds into a SRS-4 splitter. Then the SRS-4 feeds all my HR22s. I guess they could say that the SWM or the splitter is the problem.

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    So now you mention "the wild card". :eek2:
    The SWM8 isn't normally supported for a residential install, so you may have a problem.
    The SWMLNB is for your type of installation.
    I'd check your signal levels before you "sign off" on the service call.
    Your 99s & 103s levels wouldn't be a good test, but all of the others, "should be" basically mid 80s or better. "Basically" because not everyone may be but you shouldn't be seeing any pattern [all evens/odds] and just a couple/few random TPs being lower.

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You definitely have an alignment issue. Properly aligned, both 99c and 103c should be in the 80s or low 90s on all (or nearly all) transponders.

The SWM8 is irrelevant to the dish alignment problem, BUT... by installing a SWM8 on your own, you have technically put yourself in the "Do It Yourself" category, because DirecTV's techs are responsible for your entire system, but SWM8's aren't authorized for residential use by their techs. For this reason, it is possible that a tech might refuse to work on your system, and if that's the case, it isn't his fault. An experienced installer probably won't care, but, again, keep in mind that by not using the system DirecTV provided, you have put yourself outside of the official support system.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Don't know anything about the SWMs except what they do. Sorry. The best test for a properly aligned dish is no 771s. Achieve that and you'll solve your problem.

Rich

12. jnelaine

jnelaine Legend

Jun 8, 2008
    Good news! The tech came out today to re-align the dish and now the 771 errors are gone. The 93c and 101c sats have pretty good signals on all the TPs and 101 is rock-solid as well. The 99s and 103s sats aren't as good, but it doesn't seem to be causing a problem.

Thanks for everyone's help!

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    First try? Lucky you are!

Rich

14. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Just to clarify. Since 99s and 103s show only spotbeams directed at various cities, it is quite normal to see low or even zero signals on many of the 99s/103s transponders, because those signals are from spotbeams not pointed at you.

15. jnelaine

jnelaine Legend

Jun 8, 2008
    Ahh, thanks for that info! I was wondering about that! Good to know that I don't have to worry about those zeros.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Nope, just 771s. :lol:

Rich

17. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Tex, are there not CONUS xponders on those sats as well?

Otherwise I think that is the best piece of information in this thread. Obviously, a CONUS xponder should have high numbers, a spot pointed at you should have very high numbers, and a spot not pointed at you can have any number at all with no affect on your local reception. The trick is knowing which is which. If you don't know (and your locals are served), I would assume at least one xponder on those sats should be pretty high. "All in the 80's" may still mean realignment is necessary. "Not getting 771s" is also no guarantee of good alignment.

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    There are two SATs located at both 99 & 103. Spaceways are only spots and D10/11 are both spots and CONUS.
    In the receiver setup, on the "s" screens, the TPs 1-6 are Spaceways, and 15-24 are from the D10/11.
    Since they're "co-located", everyone should get similar "c" levels, and not everyone will get similar "s" levels, but if you've got your "c"s good, then you should also have good "s"s too.