Help with AIM meter firmware update issue needed.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Soulweeper, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I have to be missing something really simple or stupid, as this is NOT a big deal, and I've done it before.
    I have version 2.6 Build 300, and I'm trying to update to Version 4.2

Just like it says....using an empty flash drive, I put the zip on the drive, extract the files.
    It says
    IMPORTANT: Make sure the files are extracted to the root directory and not extracted into another folder. Uncheck the “Use Folder Names” option if displayed.
    [​IMG]
    There is no option to uncheck "use folder names". I extract them like any other time. It does extract them to a folder with the same name as the zip
    and two folders inside that
    [​IMG]
    I left it just like that, and it said upgrade failed, because encrypted scripts archive not found.

So I took any files that were in a folder, and put all of the files on the flash drive, with none in a "folder", and tried like that, and of course, windows told me I was moving duplicate files, so I tried copying, and leaving the original, I tried copying and replacing said file, etc. etc.
    [​IMG]
    and the meter told me upgrade failed, error decrypting manifest.
    What the??
    I updated this meter before, and this isn't rocket science. I have to be missing something really simple, but I feel I've tried everything.

Suggestions anyone?? This is driving me nuts!

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  2. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I got it.
    Apparently, because windows creates a folder with the same name, that is simply unzipped, it doesn't like that. But I had removed everything from that main folder, onto the flash drive, still no luck.
    I have another zip file opener called 7-zip, and just for fun, I tried that. Put the zip on the flash drive, and right click, and there is one option called "extract here", so I tried that, and it leaves me with this:
    [​IMG]
    after removing the zip, which to me, is no different than earlier, when I manually dragged those same files, exactly like that, onto the flash drive, but for whatever reason, the meter liked it, and updated. Don't know what was different about it, but it worked. :)

Maybe this will save someone else some frustration, who knows?

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You are going to like the detect SWM LNB new feature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Soulweeper likes this.
  4. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I hadn't updated this meter for quite some time, and decided to late last night, hadn't even noticed that, how does that work?

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The same as the receivers. So if you go to a job and don't know what type LNB they have, say you are adding more receivers, connect meter to any live outlet select detect LNB and it will tell you which LNB is on that dish. Now compare that against your work order and what you are adding. Done.

You can also use the SWM assignment feature but I like this better just in case the customer have remove some receivers for whatever reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Ah....nice. :)

7. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    I've been trying to update my aim to 4.2 forever. I've tried every single thing possible that I can think of including your method and I still get the ecrypted scripts archive message... I'm ready to throw this meter out the window...

8. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    You know what's weird? I ended up selling that meter, and got the new 1.5 version, and had the same issue, right off the bat, with the method I described using 7 zip. I tried a few times, and as crazy as it sounds, since the instructions say to use the flash drive that comes with the meter, when I did that, it worked. I simply think it was coincidental, but definitely a weird coincidence.

9. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    I have the newer meter 1.5 as well and no matter what I do I can't get it to update... I've tried different flash drives and I still get the encrypted scipts error message.... Getting ready to chuck this damn thing..

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    no need to post a copy your own post ... post a picture from AIM screen with the messages
    your interpretation of it doesn't reveal anything

11. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    what are you? The forum police? Lighten up Francis....

I don't need to post a picture..... I explained what is happening already.....

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    just try to help you
    unfortunately, you prefer wording :(

13. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    Solved... After toying around with various tips to get the meter to update the firmware... I ended up going to microcenter and bought a thumb drive. 128g usb 3.0 and it worked instantaneously.. I had the thumb drive that comes with the AIM and tried another older thumb drive I had and neither worked.... Not sure exactly why the 3.0 worked flawlessly but If this helps others with their updating troubles I figured I would pass it along...

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    more interesting to know if AIM support USB 2.0, not 3.0 ?

15. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    The issue is how you download and extract files.
    You can't download on pc , extract and then load to USB drive.
    You have to download zip to USB drive, extract in the thumb drive and it will work

Doctor j

16. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    I didn't .... I downloaded the zip file to the laptop, extracted it and copied those files right to the thumb drive. I put the thumb drive in and it worked straight away...

17. Ricky Robie

Ricky Robie New Member

Feb 2, 2018
    I downloaded on my laptop.unzipped.then dragged to the thumb drive. and update successful on first try

18. steelgtr

steelgtr Mentor

Feb 4, 2007
    Hi Guys

I just got an AIM (not 1.5). FW version is 4.2/400. Is that the latest?

thx

bob

19. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
  20. Stevies3

Stevies3 Legend

Jul 22, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Is this the most recent firmware? It’s dated 8/16

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk