help with bill

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Tim Godsil, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Tim Godsil

Tim Godsil Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    I recently lost my job. No big deal as I still live with my folks.

However my next bill (due in feb)will be 150 dollars due to ppvs and total choice with DVR, and an acess card.

However I wont have the 150 dollars to pay them:eek2:

I cant suspend my account because it has to be 0 dollars.

So what can I do?

2. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    Call and explain your situation, see what they are willing to do for you...
    Best of luck.

3. Tim Godsil

Tim Godsil Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    can i put it on vacation mode? or will i still owe the balance?

4. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Vacation Mode is a suspension of service.
    And you cant suspend unless your balance is at $0.

One way or another, be it unemployment pay, etc, after you've taken care of your more important bills, you need to find a way to pay DirecTV so you can have it shut off.
    Otherwise, if you dont care about your credit, you could have your account go into collections...

As already stated, call in, talk with the reps, let them know you lost your job and wont be able to make the payment on time. They may be able to credit you up to a certain amount, they may also be able to give you an extension on when your payment is due.

Also, you can change your package and deactive any extra receivers now, so they'll credit you back the difference.

5. Tim Godsil

Tim Godsil Legend

Dec 3, 2007

What happens if it goes into collections? i have no credit

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    When you got service, did they run a check? Did you have someone else cosign? What I'd be afraid of is that DirecTV could go after them, like your parents and affect their credit. When I got service, they ran a credit check.

7. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    OK.
    You don't pay the bill.
    DirecTV shuts off your service.
    They hound you to pay the bill.
    They charge you $400/unit for not returning your equipment (along with your balance).
    After about 3 months, they turn you over to a collections agency and write you off.
    The collections agency then hounds you.
    This also gets reported on your credit.

When you go to buy a car, or a house, etc, the first thing people are going to see is that you defaulted on your DirecTV bill, and that makes you a risk, so they aren't going to want to loan you money.

8. Tim Godsil

Tim Godsil Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    so if i call them up and tell them i lost my job do you think they could help?

9. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Tim,

Ask elsewhere about credit consequences. You are asking about a small amount.

Pay what you owe as soon as you can. Then suspend or close your DTV account 'till things get better.

The big deal is in the future. You will need and apply for a credit card or a mortgage. At that time the credit wonks will look back to now. They will not see a few hundred bucks owed. They will see some code for...didn't pay.......couldn't pay...defaulted on......
    This will come up again unless you make it go away.

Pay & cancel.

OR cancel but DO pay.

Good luck,

Joe

10. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Directv bills in advance. All you should have to do is pay the current PPV and access card charge, then have them suspend your account on your due date. Your new balance wont be active until your due date so you shouldnt have to worry about that, unless its already past your due date. If so, they can tell you what the partial months usage is if the suspend it right now. When you reactivate your account, you will have to pay the partial months charge plus the next months charge to get it reactivated.

11. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    1st, stop ordering PPVs
    2nd, drop down to the family package
    3rd, call them and let them know what your situation is, work out some sort of payment plan with them.

12. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Are you for real and just having a run of bad luck? You just created a thread yesterday about buying a receiver off ebay and then battling to get it activated. Now you're saying you recently lost your job and need to suspend your account?

OK, I think your having bad luck.

13. Tim Godsil

Tim Godsil Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    yes woe is me :)

14. tralfaz

tralfaz Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Oct 31, 2009
    I don't think they're hiring.

15. BKC

BKC Icon

Dec 12, 2007
    lol

16. Luck255

Luck255 Legend

Mar 4, 2009
    No point in putting money into a sinking ship...

But I have to agree with other posters, change your package to family , that should lower your current charges and see how much of an extension you can get.

edit: you'll lose your grandfathered total choice by moving to family

17. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Why are you buying another receiver off Ebay if you are going to try and suspend your account or not pay? Why play games?

18. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    So you just spent mone on a receiver on ebay you won't be able to use. You don't think losing your job is a big deal because you live with your parents. My advice is this. Borrow the money to pay your bill. Suspend your account for 6 months to help pay off what you borrowed and to make payments on the account for the ECF. Find a new job, cancel the account. Get a bank account and then once everything is stable and you have enough money in the bank for 3 months worth of bills. You can start thinking about pay tv service again.

19. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Large Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Florida
    Ask Mommy and Daddy for a temporary loan to pay your bill. If you are for real, and not just a 15yr old kid playing games with us here you should be able to collect unemployment which should easily cover your DirecTV bill or repay Mum and Pop. If the D* account is really under your name that means you have to have some type of credit or they wouldn't have given you an account. IF you are for real, good luck on the job hunt.

20. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Your living with your parents, try talking to them they will probably lend you the money and give you a lot of sound advice.:)