Help with GenieGo

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by eileen22, Oct 15, 2014.

1. eileen22

eileen22 Godfather

Mar 24, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    I have had a GenieGo (was Nomad) for two years or so. It used to work flawlessly for me, and now is not working. Over the past months, it has been hit or miss, and now doesn't work at all. I am using the stand-alone iPhone GenieGo app on an iPad2. When I launch the app, it finds the GenieGo, and I can see the DVR recordings. If I try to download a program, it stays on "waiting to prepare" and doesn't download. I have left this as long as overnight with no success. If I try to stream, I get a message saying something like "unable to stream at this time." I have also tried this on my iPhone5 with the same results.

When this was working, it would take longer than the length of the program to complete the preparation (about 1.5-2x), but it would eventually work. I have uninstalled and re-installed the app. I have reset the GenieGo multiple times, including holding the reset button for 2+ minutes, and unplugging for 5+ minutes.

I am able to stream live programs using the DirecTV app for iPad. I have not tried to use the GG via the DAFI, as it is unclear to me whether I can have the same device registered on both of the apps at the same time, and I prefer to use the separate GG app. I like the 30 sec skip, and was using the standalone app before the DAFI incorporated GG.

I assume this has something to do with my home network. I am not savvy with this, and I am loathe to tweak things with the router when all else on the network is working fine. Can anyone give me some things to try to troubleshoot? Thanks.

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    It sounds like you've done all the right things. It is possible that the GG has taken a hit and no longer works. Can you Ping it? You should be able to see it's IP in your router DHCP list - probably still Nomad xxxx. . . .

It may help to set a reserved DHCP address for it if you can ping it.

The streaming programs in DAFI don't involve GG at all. You can use GG from DAFI but it will burn a second of your 5 licenses if you have the iPhone GG app also installed. DAFI does have some additional troubleshooting in the Settings area for GG.

3. eileen22

eileen22 Godfather

Mar 24, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    Yes, I can ping the GenieGo. I don't know how to assign a reserved DHCP, is that easy to do?

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Look in your router, usually on the Lan / DHCP page and there should be a way to assign the MAC address of GG to an IP.

I would set it to something outside and unused of the DHCP range if the router allows. Some routers don't.

I would also delete and re-install the client software. Sometimes the updates confuse things.

5. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Before messing with router settings I suggest rebooting everything else. Router, modem and DVRs.