1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with home theater setup for HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Guttboy, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guttboy

Guttboy Legend

Sep 9, 2007
    Hi Everyone!

I originally posted this in a sub category here and I think that was in the wrong spot so here goes again

Ok here is my dilemna. I am setting up my home theater again and am new to the DirecTV arena. I am getting an HR20 (2 actually but only one is for the theater) and I am trying to figure out the best way to run cables to my preamp and projector.

Here is what I have:

1. InFocus SP 7210 projector with one HDMI input and 2 Component video inputs
    2. NAD T-163 preamplifier

I noticed on the back of the HR200 that there is really no digital audio out except for the optical (will need a source to purchase one of these as I have never used it before).

I am a bit confused as to what to run to the projector for cables....HDMI or Component?
    Will I see a difference in either? Screen is 110" and I will be 14' from the screen.

How can I get 5.1 sound to my preamplifier (it does have optical inputs) with the HR20?

In the future I will be getting some sort of High Def DVD player but not sure which to get (Blu or HDDVD).

Thanks a bunch!

Regards,

:)

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Is your NAD T-163 preamp capable of decoding Dolby Digital 5.1 audio? I'm surprised that it doesn't have at least an optical digital input. Does it have a coax digital audio input? You can get converters if that's your only digital audio input.

Ideally you'll want HDMI video to the projector. You might not see any difference, but you should start with HDMI and only use component video if you have some HDMI incompatibility issues.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The optical Toslink output on the back of the HR20 IS a REAL digital audio output. As long as your NAD is DD/DTS capable, and has an available optical input it should work fine.

4. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    According to the NAD website, you should be set:

http://nadelectronics.com/products/home-theatre-amplifiers/T163-Surround-Sound-Preamplifier

• Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Digital ProLogic IIx, ProLogic IIx, DTS, DTS ES, DTS NEO:6, Matrix 7.1, EARS, Enhanced Stereo Surround Modes
    • 192kHz/24 bit DACs for all channels
    • HDTV Compatible Component Video on 3 Inputs and 1 Output
    • 6 Digital Inputs, 4 Coaxial, 2 TOS Link freely assignable

As was already mentioned, it would be preferrable to at least attempt running HDMI direct to the projector, but if that didn't work out, you could run component through your pre-amp and switch the video there.

Good luck!

5. kylebj

kylebj Mentor

Dec 2, 2006
    I have two HR-20s. I am running out component upstairs that looks great and HDMI downstairs that looks great. I don't think you'll go wrong either way. One thing to keep in mind: you might need a signal booster for your HDMI for that long of a run. Someone else might know for sure as I only have a short run. Both are running optical out and they sound great as well. In the menus, you can set the HR-20 to output dolby digital. My two cents. Enjoy!

6. jcurrier31

jcurrier31 Legend

Dec 15, 2006
    My HR20 connects through a 3' HDMI to my Monoprice 5X1 HDMI switch then a 6' Cable to my HK-AVR 645. From there a 35' Monoprice HDMI cable to my Panasonic plasma in the front room. I have NO problems with that cable length.

You might not be able to tell a big picture difference between HDMI and Component, but depending on your cable run, a single HDMI cable might be the best bet.

Who knows if HDCP will ever become an issue but if it does, you will need to use an HDMI. Future proof is always the way to go.

Make sure you go to Monoprice to buy cables, don't get the shaft by buying them in the store. wait aday or twoand save 3/4 of the price.

7. dbhsatx

dbhsatx Guest

Jun 18, 2007
    As far as the Blu-ray vs HDDVD, it's a toss up right now which one will win the "format wars" but as jcurrier31 stated "Future proof is always the way to go." For the Dolby True HD Audio that both formats are capable of you can only use HDMI for the audio!

8. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    From 14' back, I'd have gone with 126" minimum.

Was that not the question?

9. Guttboy

Guttboy Legend

Sep 9, 2007
    LOL.....spartan....the 110" was perfect for our old place and I am keeping it! However, you could try to convince my significant other to go for the 124"...If you can I'll get you a case of the beverage of your choice!

I will probably run both an HDMI and a component to the PJ. My assumptions only but wouldnt the picture look the same?

10. jcurrier31

jcurrier31 Legend

Dec 15, 2006
    "I will probably run both an HDMI and a component to the PJ. My assumptions only but wouldnt the picture look the same?"

For now Yes.

If HDCP ever becomes mandatory, Devices will automatically down-convert anything not HDMI to 480P.

11. EaglePC

EaglePC Icon

Apr 14, 2007
    The optical Toslink output on the back of the HR20 IS a REAL digital audio output
    is HDMI too ?

12. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Yes, HDMI is a real digital audio output as well. It can carry any type of tv-related audio on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.