1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with install question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by fruitjacket, Aug 13, 2008.

1. fruitjacket

fruitjacket New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Ok...Here's the scenario (and YES...I've been searching...but haven't found my answers yet).

Have Directv at home. At cabin have an older Dish Network sat dish that was removed by previous owner.

Would like to bring a receiver from home to cabin, hook up DN Dish and try to get my directv. Don't need HD (no HD TV at cabin) but woud like ESPN, Sunday ticket if possible, etc.

I don't know any of the specs on the older dish. Is there anyway this will work, or should I just have a Directv dish installed?

Trying to minimize costs obviously.

Anyone know of any threads (have links) that discuss this?

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Buy a used 18" round dish on ebay.

Carl

3. fruitjacket

fruitjacket New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Was going to do that, but only if this won't work. Leave for cabin tomorrow night, so Ebay won't work for this weekend's test.

4. eakes

eakes Godfather

Sep 21, 2007
    The DISH reflector should work but you will likely need a Directv LNB (try Radio Shack if you don't have a spare).

5. birdman1

birdman1 Legend

Nov 19, 2006
  6. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    All depends what LNB it is. If it is a legacy single Dish LNB it will work. Otherwise just get the single LNB and put it on either side of the Y bracket and align.