1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Laser Jet...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Greg Alsobrook, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    We have a networked (it has its own IP) HP Laser Jet 4000 at work that apparently has some sort of spooling issue. When you send a job to it, it will print 1 page, and pause for several seconds, then print 1 page, then pause.... etc.

I've messed with all settings I can think to mess with. Does anyone have any idea what approach I should take next?

2. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007

is there memory onboard the printer? how much

3. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    I believe just the standard 64... I will check that tomorrow...

4. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    it is probably buffering, and the memory is filling up, it has to empty, then buffer the next page

5. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    The strange thing is... It doesn't do it with all documents or on all computers... I can't seem to pinpoint a pattern...

6. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    As suggested, this makes it sound more like a driver issue.

7. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    All computers have the same drivers installed and all have the exact same settings.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Then check that PC's HDD, free space, OS corrupted spooler components, etc

9. jfuchtm

jfuchtm AllStar

Aug 21, 2007
    Is it printing from a Windows app, or an old DOS based app?

10. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    By chance are the problems with PDF files mostly? I've seen that issue when using PCL drivers. A switch to the postscript drivers cleared the issue.

11. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    We have those same printers but it only has your issue when we try to print pdf files.

Does it do this will all your documents?

Mike

12. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
  13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Serving small office with two networked HP LJ 4000 and have no issue with printing PDF file or other types from XP/Vista/OS-X/RHEL/Ubuntu.

14. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I have been researching this problem extensively and have spoken to HP about it.

1. The problem began with the release of Adobe Reader 7 and seems to have the greatest affect on HP printers using PCL6 drivers. Switching to Post Script Drivers doesn't seem to help much.
    2. This problem is not only common it is virtually the norm.
    3. HP seems to be totally in the dark about resolving the problem, you get the distinct impression that they consider it an Adobe issue... probably true as PCL6 works just fine for anything that isn't pdf.
    4. Adobe has tons of information on user forums, with lots of suggestions on how to deal with it, all of which seem to have little effect.
    5. Adobe itself seems unwilling to acknowledge there is a problem

It is important to note that you probably wont notice the problem much if you are printing single pdf pages. It is most noticeable on large pdf documents or printing many copies of the same document.

Adobe has recently released Adobe Reader 9. I will be deploying this version over my largest network in the next 2 weeks. We will see if it has any effect on the over-all problem.

I will post information here when we deploy and see results.

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Using PostScript driver, hmmm, printing most BW documents up to 30 pages, practically no multiple copies.
    Adobe Reader and full version from 4 to 8 here.
    Memory size ? Settings ? Network problems ?

16. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    I found out that the issue was only with PDF's... and installing an old universal postscript driver did seem to resolve the issue...

Thanks for the help everyone!! :)