Help with setup: Missing local channels (getting the rest)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by SalmonGuy22, Mar 19, 2018.

1. SalmonGuy22

SalmonGuy22 New Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Hi Everyone, I posted earlier about using an AIM meter but folks thought i could solve the problem without. I didn't have all of the model numbers folks needed to help me...but do now so starting a new thread.

Problem: Getting all the channels I should be getting except for local Seattle channels.

Situation: Technically in Canada on Vancouver island but so far south it would be in the U.S. if you headed east. No zip code to input since there is no land south of the dish to find a zip code for. This is incredibly remote and we can't get a pro installer up there. Because it is so remote, we also can't go get parts we are missing or are defective without several hours of travel.

Helpful Background Information: We get all of the channels we should get with exception of the local Seattle channels we should get. We have several neighbors who can all get the full spectrum of channels including local Seattle channels using the same dish we are using. Dish is plum and great care was taken to make sure this is the case.

Equipment we are using:
    --Slimline dish (HD)
    --Receiver model HR24-500
    --I believe we have a SL3k4NR0-02 LNB (assuming the "eye" that points back toward the dish is a LNB)
    --Directv power inserter model Pl21R2-16
    --We also have another LNB that says "phase III LNB" but we didn't use this when we hooked it up and were able to get everything but local channels. Just letting you know we have it in case we need it.

Answers I'm looking for:
    1. Do we have the correct equipment given the dish and receiver we are using? Is there a diagram or quick description of how the hook-ups should be made? I'm guessing we had them right since we got almost all of the channels...but double checking wouldn't hurt.
    2. What is likely causing us to not get the local channels and how should we troubleshoot / fix it?
    3. Is there any equipment we should purchase that we are either missing or might not be functioning properly given the issue we are having? Given how remote the area is, we are okay buying some extra pieces to help improve our chances of getting this going.

Reminder: We are getting everything but the local channels, and our neighbors get all channels with the same equipment so we know it is possible.

Happy to answer any questions to help get this fixed...

2. bflora

bflora Legend

Nov 5, 2007
    Could you try hooking you receiver to a neighbor's dish to see if it gets the locals and/or hook a neighbor's receiver to your dish to test it for the locals?

3. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Your local channels are on 99s t16 and t20. Check your signal levels on those transponders. If you have at least 80 for a level, you probably aren't authorized for them. You can go to the Directv website and do a rehit on your dvr. That may fix it.

4. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Direct link:
    DIRECTV Resend Authorization
    You'll need to log into your account.

5. Ry1989

Ry1989 New Member

Sep 2, 2017
    When you say you aren't getting them, what do you see when you try to watch one of the locals? Is it 771, 721, or do the channels not exist in the guide?