1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with SWM 16 install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Smidgerine, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Smidgerine

Smidgerine Mentor

Jun 2, 2007
    OK, installers are here and the no boxes seem to have sat signal.

I have a slimline 3 dish, and ithe four ports are going into the inputs of the SWM.

I have power going directly into SWM1.

I have an 8 port SWM splitter going into SWM2.

They don't have any stop band filters present yet.

They don't have any DECA stuff hooked up yet.

Any ideas?

Update: Should the power inserter go to DC/PWR, or SWM1/PWR? Right now the power insterter IRD line isn't hooked into anything.

2. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    If you plan to connect anything to the power inserter IRD port, then you need to connect the power port to SWM1/PWR. If the power inserter IRD port will remain terminated, then you can connect the power port to DC/PWR.

It's possible you need to do satellite setup on your boxes to tell it you have a SWiM and not a multiswitch.

Have you restarted your boxes at all? With a new SWiM-16, I would think a reboot of each DVR/receiver would be necessary.

3. Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    How many...and what model IRDs are you using?

You can feed the PI into either the SWM1/PWR port, or the DC/PWR port, your choice. No, you don't need an IRD(s) installed after the PI.

4. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    One thing to rememer is that each leg of the SWiM can only support 8 tuners. I would put the power on the red input to the splitter that feeds SWM 1 input along with up to 8 tuners. Additional tuners go to SWM 2 input

5. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    It can go in either place, but if you hook it up the way you have it now, make sure you terminate the unused IRD output.

It's easier to just use DC power, if your set-up allows you to.

6. Smidgerine

Smidgerine Mentor

Jun 2, 2007
    I've terminated the unused ports of the 1 x 8 splitter. I am currently using 5 ports on SWM2 (2 HR20, 1 H21), and 2 ports on SWM1 (HR20 + PI). I didn't have the PI IRD terminal terminated before.

They had tried a stop band filter on the SWM2 port, but I'm not thinking that's necessary (or they'd also need one on the SWM1 port, I'd guess), so I took that off. They went to do another job, so I'm hoping to get it installed while they are gone. I've got all the equipment still here.

I tried the full reboot with SWM plugged in first and then the receivers and that was PARTIALLY WORKING! :)

The IRD attached to the PI that is going into SWM1 is working. The SWM2 port that has the splitter has nothing working on its end.

Anything I should try there?

Thanks for the ideas so far!!!!!

7. netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007

pick one line off the splitter and plug it into the swm2 port and see if the port is bad, or the splitter is bad.

8. Smidgerine

Smidgerine Mentor

Jun 2, 2007
    I've just noticed that the working DVR shos the satellite as 03 -- Slimline-3 wheras the other two show Slimline - 3S

They all have said SWM for the second entry and dual tuners (for the DVRs..not worrying about the non-DVR right now as I don't have a TV on it). I'm going to change that and see if it makes a difference.

9. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    You should only be using 3 ports on SWM2 connected splitter. The DVRs only require one coax connection.

10. Smidgerine

Smidgerine Mentor

Jun 2, 2007
    I should have said 3 cables (5 "ports") on SWM2, 1 cable (2 "ports" on SWM1).

I have HR20 -> PI -> SWM1, and that's the only thing I've got working ATM.

I've switched a few other things around to no avail. I tried an SWS-4 attached to SWM-1 since I had previously used that with an SWM8 setup. It never felt like the SWM16 was being powered since it wasn't really warm.

Are there any limits on distance from SWM 16 to satellite or IRD to PI (although that's the only one that was working)? All the other cables are reasonably long, but not TOO long.

11. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
  12. Smidgerine

Smidgerine Mentor

Jun 2, 2007
    Well, I feel like an absolute moron.

I think that when I did the original "reboot", I must not have done something correct. But, I re-rebooted and powered up SWM, then IRD connected to PI, then the rest of the IRDs and they have all come up.

The installers came back and setup DECA and I've still got satellite on everything, so I'm just about good to go.

They couldn't get the signal strength high enough to activate the new HR24s. So, they are going to have to bring another LNB back. My LNB just got replaced about a month ago, so I'm not thinking that's the problem, but I guess we'll see tomorrow. I think my dish may have been whacked by a tree limb a couple of years ago and I might just need a new dish. We'll see.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

13. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    You're probably right on. I just went through an LNB replacement only to find out the reflector was the problem (it was bent, but not visably so.) If they've already replaced the LNB it's likely the reflector that's your problem.