1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Whole House MVR. (Very Complicated Install and setup)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by FLKEN, Jul 11, 2018 at 3:23 PM.

Tags:
  1. FLKEN

FLKEN New Member

Wednesday
    Unfortunately this is going to be long as you need some background.

We have a ton of receivers at our home. It was being fed a 5LNB going to 4 PP splitters feeding 2 -16 way SWM multiswitch.

This was recently modified to include a 2nd dish feeding a 3rd 16 way multiswitch How I asked the installer to set it up was to have 8 of the inside DVRs (HR24's) on the new dish and 16 way MS and leave everything else on the old dish.

The idea being that the 8 DVR's would then talk to each other for MVR.

However that's not what is happening. Some of the Main 8 see some others, while some receivers listed in the MVR screen show other receivers not even on this multiswitch .

I want the 8 inside to see only these 8 DVRs and be able to use MVR. The other 16 DVRs in the closet and talk on trheir own network. Yet some of the closet 16 DVR's are seeing some of the receivers inside on a different MS and a different Dish.

Any idea how he has this messed up ? At one time I use to know all of the DTV equipment (not so much anymore). Besides leaving the workspace a complete cluster frik of a mess with coax, I will add some pics to see if it helps you identify what he is doing and how we can fix it (All receivers are HR24's)

Attached Files:

2. FLKEN

FLKEN New Member

Wednesday
    A few more

Attached Files:

3. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    MVR-Limit to 16 - That's the max

4. FLKEN

FLKEN New Member

Wednesday
    okay, how do we get it to only use the 16" that we want. Also each receiver only shows 5 other receivers. How do you identify what the other 11 are that each receiver is seeing?

5. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Are your two groups of DVRs still connected to each other via a single router?

6. FLKEN

FLKEN New Member

Wednesday
    Yes there is only 1 router in the property.

But each bank of DVR's are plugged into a separate device (Not sure what its called) that is connected to a Cat 5 back to the router

7. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008

Those are DECA's and send mrv and internet content over rg6 - You would need to place the 16 you want on the same network.

What you could do is Install another Dish and feed 8 dvr's off that dish

8. FLKEN

FLKEN New Member

Wednesday
    West

We have 1 bank of 8 DVR's that are on its own dish

The other 16 are being fed from another Dish

Yet DVR's from Bank 1 are seeing some DVR's from Bank 2 and vice versa.

Also the DVR's only display 4 or 5 other DVR's under MVR. How do we get them show all 16?

9. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I suggest you look at solid signal . Com
    Check the blog for information. Lots of directv information on deca mrv testing.

You can also call them

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I am not an installer and would never tackle a project like this.
    From what I am reading it sounds like the wiring thru splitters is screwed up and this allows the cross access / lack of access to the different banks of receivers.

11. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    He has 2 Swm-16 in the mix and Having Receivers on Swim-1-16 - and having Receivers on Swim 2-16 That could be the one of the many reasons for some not seeing each others as well if they are not all on the same Swim-16 - as MRV will not cross between 2 different swim-16 ( they Will only see each receiver if connected to Leg 1 & Leg 2 of the same swim)

I sent him to SS site to find mrv information and testing info for MRV - Rather that explain it here

jimmie57 likes this.
  12. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Is the MRV limit 16 if they're all on DECA, or is that true even if there are small DECA networks of say 4 receivers each connected to the same ethernet segment via DECAs? If the latter is the case, then the fact they are all connected to the same ethernet network via DECAs is causing him to exceed 16. He'd have to put the ones he wants to share with each other on one subnet, and the rest on a separate subnet.

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    We considered adding another dish when we installed the cascaded two SWM16 MRV system. Couldn't figure out how to get the two clouds (each SWM has a cloud) to merge. The cascaded system worked, the clouds merged. All 12 HRs were on the MRV system. How did that work...not well. Seems the more HRs you have the more problems you have. Now I have 5 active HRs in the house on the two SWMs (I use a lot of terminators), still have the same cabling and the MRV works perfectly.

I gotta ask, how do the clouds merge with 2 dishes? I couldn't see it years ago and I don't see it now, but that's just me.

Rich

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Can't even begin to imagine the problems we'd have with 16 HRs on a system.

Rich

15. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    That's why I asked him about the router. If both sets of receivers are connected to the same router on the same network, they will see each other.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    With two dishes? Still not certain why we did not go that route.

Rich