here we go again, another dispute between Dish & Tegna impending

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Willh, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    as i was watching WFAA channel 8's news at 4 just a moment ago, i saw a scroll warning Dish customers that about a pending takedown of the Tegna owned stations on Dish which reads this "Attention Dish subscribers: starting at 6:00 PM November 30, WFAA may not be available on Dish. You could lose access to your favorite ABC network programs and your local news, weather and sports. Tell Dish to keep WFAA on the air. visit wfaa.com/dish to learn more".

looks like the current Dish/Tegna agreement is about to come to a end. the last blackout from Tegna on Dish came on October 9, 2015 and reached a new deal 2 days later on October 11, 2015.

anyway, this is a heads up for those who live in Markets that have a Tegna Owned station that these stations will go bye-bye on Dish's lineup after tomorrow night.

i don't have Dish now as i have DirecTV, but i used to be a Dish customer and still feel your pain Dish customers.

here's a list of Tegna owned stations:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegna,_Inc.#Television_stations

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Anyone got that carriage dispute bingo card handy?

3. GoLongAndChopChop881

GoLongAndChopChop881 Member

Dec 20, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    What if they remove KFMB CBS San Diego on DISH? So this means if they bring back, DISH could add KFMB DT2 which had the CW affiliation, while XETV lost the English programming last year.

4. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Interesting, KGW Portland has the crawler, but they are listed as Sanders LLC now, but Seattle 5 &16 are Tegna. I have KGW OTA via a translator, so at least I still will get NBC.

5. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    An interesting note I read on another site, since 2010 Dish has lost channels because of disputes 68 times. Much more than any other cable or satellite service. That is a lot of loss over the past 8 years! I got Dish in 1999, and do not remember losses in the early days. A lot of it started when the OTA channels started being paid.

6. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    That crawl is running here in New Orleans. It is our cbs and our mytv which is owned by tegna.

7. eyeswideopen

eyeswideopen New Member

Nov 30, 2018
    does anyone know if they have come to an agreement?

8. GoLongAndChopChop881

Dec 20, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I don't have any of these Tegna stations on my local DMA, but here are my favorites:

Call Letters KPNX
    Affiliation NBC
    Channel # 6448
    Local Channel # 12
    Orbital Slot 110
    Packaging: Phoenix (Prescott) DMA

Call Letters KXTV
    Affiliation ABC
    Channel # 6395
    Local Channel # 10
    Orbital Slot 119
    Packaging: Sacramnto-Stkton-Modesto DMA

Call Letters KFMB
    Affiliation CBS
    Channel # 6408
    Local Channel # 8
    Orbital Slot 110
    Packaging: San Diego DMA

Call Letters WFAA
    Affiliation ABC
    Channel # 6383
    Local Channel # 8
    Orbital Slot 61.5/110
    Packaging: Dallas-Ft. Worth DMA

Call Letters KHOU
    Affiliation CBS
    Channel # 6390
    Local Channel # 11
    Orbital Slot 61.5/110
    Packaging: Houston DMA

Call Letters KING
    Affiliation NBC
    Channel # 6416
    Local Channel # 5
    Orbital Slot 110
    Packaging: Seattle-Tacoma DMA

Call Letters KONG
    Affiliation IND
    Channel # 6419
    Local Channel # 16
    Orbital Slot 110
    Packaging: Seattle-Tacoma DMA

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  9. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    DISH Network Alert I abc10_com - 2018-11-30 18-19-28.png

10. GoLongAndChopChop881

Dec 20, 2017
    Omaha, NE
  11. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Well it is 11:05 PM (PST) and KING is still there. Another site says 11:30 PM. I wonder why they keep extending it? Maybe they are close to an agreement? Hope so.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    TEGNA blacks out DISH customers in 39 Markets
    December 1, 2018
    - TENGA blacks out popular football games and holiday shows; turns back on public interest obligations using viewers as negotiating leverage
    - TEGNA rejects DISH offer to extend contract, including retroactive 'true-up' for new rates, which would keep local channels up while negotiations continue
    - DISH offers qualified affected customers free digital over-the-air (OTA) antenna and installation
    - Over the past 5 years, broadcast fees more than double while ratings see double digit decline

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Dec. 1, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- This evening, TEGNA Inc. blacked out DISH customers' access to its 49 local channels in 39 markets across 34 states and the District of Columbia. TEGNA is blocking consumers in an effort to gain negotiating leverage as it demands nearly double the monthly rates for its local channels, even as broadcast TV ratings decline.

"TEGNA refused DISH's offer to extend the contract, instead choosing to black out its stations on the eve of college football's conference championships and during the homestretch for the NFL season. It couldn't be more obvious that TEGNA is using its own viewers as leverage as it demands nearly double the monthly rates, even as ratings on broadcast TV are down double digits," said Andy LeCuyer, DISH senior vice president of Programming.

According to Nielsen, primetime TV ratings are down on the big four broadcasters (ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC) 12 percent over the past five years. During that same period, broadcast retransmission fees more than doubled, from $4.9 billion to $10.2 billion, according to SNL Kagan, a leading source on the media industry.

TEGNA rejected DISH's offer of a short-term contract extension that would include a retroactive true-up when new rates were agreed upon and would preserve the ability of DISH customers to access the stations while negotiations continued. The true-up would ensure that TEGNA was made whole at the new rates for the period of any contract extension.

"The channels could come back today if TEGNA would allow it, and we can restore the channels immediately if they give us the green light," added LeCuyer. "On behalf of customers, we ask TEGNA to stop punishing its own viewers so we can focus on reaching a fair deal."

Affected DISH customers can view NFL games using an over-the-air antenna or stream local and most primetime games for free on mobile phones and tablets as announced by the NFL.

"As an immediate solution, we are encouraging fans to take advantage of streaming NFL games for free on a phone or tablet while we urge TEGNA to return these stations to our customers," said LeCuyer.

Retransmission Consent

In exchange for using the public airwaves, broadcasters provide their channels for free, accessible with an over-the-air antenna; however, pay-TV companies are required to pay broadcasters to provide those same channels to their customers. If the two parties do not reach an agreement, the pay-TV provider must stop delivering those stations.

More information on this FCC-mandated process is available here: Retransmission Consent

Free Antenna Installation, Seamless Integration

As DISH works to reach an agreement, the company is offering digital over-the-air (OTA) antennas at no cost so that customers in affected markets can watch these channels for free.

Tens of thousands of eligible DISH customers have integrated OTA antennas into their DISH experience, accessing news, popular network shows and sports from local channels for free. Customers with qualifying equipment, programming, and location can choose to receive local channels free over the air and save $12 per month on their bill.

"Integrating OTA-delivered local channels can unlock $144 savings annually for DISH customers," explained LeCuyer. "Customers will see the local channels and show information for the most popular channels in the guide on the Hopper DVR, and can watch and record local channels using their DISH remote without switching inputs on the TV. DISH doesn't save money, but consumers can."

Local station availability over the air is dependent on geographic location and topography. Consequently, some customer locations may not qualify for an antenna installation.

Price of Local Channels Soars

Each year, the cost to carry local broadcast stations rises far beyond the rate of inflation, leading to blackouts across the country that affect millions of consumers across all pay-TV companies. In the past decade, the fees TEGNA and other broadcasters charge pay-TV providers to carry local channels has risen 1,700 percent.

"A decade ago, a gallon of gas cost about two dollars. If gas prices had gone up like the cost to watch your local channels, that same gallon of gas today would be about 40 dollars," continued LeCuyer.

According to SNL Kagan, broadcast fees burdening pay-TV consumers are expected to reach an unprecedented $12.8 billion in 2023. These same rates, for channels available free over the air, were as low as $215 million in 2006. With this projected 60x increase, the cost to deliver local channels is the fastest growing part of consumers' monthly pay-TV bills.

Along with other pay-TV companies and public interest groups that form the American Television Alliance, DISH has called for the U.S. Congress to revamp the out-of-date laws that favor these high fees and unnecessary blackouts.

DISH customers can visit DISHPromise.com for more information.

13. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    In the meantime, could Dish offer us another station to replace the one we lost?

14. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    No... The FCC does not permit it.

15. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Agree with NY Dutch. Your options for getting your Tegna stations are
    1. Over the air antenna
    2. Stream it
    3. other payTV provider (cable, DIrectTV, etc.)

And yes - a good part of the problem is that stations now look at this as a source of revenue.

16. GoLongAndChopChop881

Dec 20, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Since they lost KARE in the Mankato market, it got replaced by my local NBC station owned and operated by Gray Television, WOWT.

17. GoLongAndChopChop881

Dec 20, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    As of 1pm ET/10am PT, DISH returned Tegna stations, unlike in Mankato and Presque Isle.

Feel free to watch your favorite NFL matches! ;)

18. jdskycaster

jdskycaster Legend

Sep 1, 2008
    I am taking advantage of the free OTA antenna and adapter offer. Likely going to dump paying for local stations after this.

19. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Yes indeed, they are back. That did not take long. Only a few hours. Thank you Dish. I figured the way it has been going, we would lose the channels for months.