1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here's what I've tried to fix HR24 audio drops

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Steve Rhodes, Nov 13, 2017 at 5:02 PM.

1. Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    We have 3 HR24s we got in late 2013. In the past few months, the one in our media room has been having more and more audio drops, either briefly or about 15 seconds. They all recover on their own and the drop does not repeat if we rewind a little and replay.

Here's what I've tried so far and here's what I've learned:

1. The glitches are HDMI related for sure, since I plugged headphones into the L-R audio cables. My amp, which is just over a year old, kept having the sound drops while I didn't hear them any at the same time through the headphones.

2. Turning Dolby Digital off causes the audio drops to go away but, of course, the sound is awful with it off. I would never listen to TV that way.

3. Swapping DVRs did not help. They sound drops kept coming.

4. I plugged the DVR into a different input on amp, and I got a brand new HDMI cable. Neither of these helped.

5. Many times tried rebooting amp, DVR, powering off, etc. No change.

What I haven't tried yet is going in via digital optical or getting a different amp.

Has anyone done either of these (optical or amp swap) or anything else to improve or eliminate the problem?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    full fix is only change the provider

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you try the optical cable, connect the HDMI direct from the DTV receiver to the TV and run the optical from the DTV receiver to the AVR.
    I have my setup this way.
    I do get audio drop outs but they are just super short blips, not 15 seconds.
    Most of the time I listen to mine with just the TV speakers since during the day my son is asleep till noon and I am just watching things where people are talking like the stock market, etc.
    I will use my Yamaha with the optical cables full time starting sometime today and see if I can tell any difference.
    What really messes with my head about this is that most of the time you can rewind and replay and the drop out is not there. This indicates to me that the signal we are getting is good and does not have this flaw in the sound.
    I reset both my receivers yesterday and we did not see / hear that it made any difference.

4. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    I get audio dropouts no matter what Directv receiver I hook to my Marantz receiver. I also connected with optical and it didn't fix anything. Getting really annoyed!

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    What happens if you bypass the Marantz?

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I guess you have a reason for not using the optical output on your Sammy set? I use the sets' optical out ports for the SB and an AVR (two TV sets). I see audio dropouts on the AVR but I don't hear any on the SB.

I think that means the broadcast is OK, but there's still a problem in the HR or it's cabling. I don't see an HDD causing this.

Rich

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Use the TV set's speakers? That would be a good test...I know most TV sets have bad audio, but just for testing...

Rich

8. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    The one test I did the dropouts were still there but much less pronounced. I don't notice any issue on genie clients but I also rarely watch them. I have Apple TV and an Oppo Blue Ray and they both work through my Marantz flawlessly so I don't suspect any issue with it.

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Good info. Have you tried moving your HRs, see if the problem follows a particular HR?

Rich

10. Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    I should point out that I have an Apple TV, a Roku and a Bluray player going into same amp, NO sound glitches EVER on them.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I do see some audio dropouts from time to time on NF, doesn't matter if I'm using a Fire Stick or FTV, or my ATVs. Just on NF and they are rare. Sounds like you've isolated the D* equipment, that's good.

Rich

12. Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    We are getting them several times per hour on 3 different HR24s and 2 different amps. It's really gotten bad the last few weeks. Also we had direcTV do a dish alignment, no improvement.

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    It's seems obvious to me; if no particular location, nor particular HW+FW combination, nor dish alignment, etc play its role, then it's DTV problem with TS [transport stream] !

14. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Just becsue it shouldn’t be the issue doesn’t mean the issue doesn’t lie in the connection the DVR is making with the marantz. At the very least, I’d connect the hdmi directly to the tv and listen with the tv speakers with Dolby digital turned on and find out if that’s still causing the issue. If not then you know it’s an issue between the av receiver and the DVR. There have been many occasions where that is the issue and it’s usually due to some bizarre handshaking issue, which is different for every device which is why just because your other devices do not have the issue doesn’t mean this one won’t.

It seems that DVRs are very picky about being routed through multiple devices, more so than other things.

With that said, audio drop outs are just going around for many it seems.

However, if it’s that bad, it’s likely more than what everyone else is seeing.

15. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    I've already hooked directly to the TV as mentioned above.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Still get the audio drops when connected by HDMI to the TV set? I see you connected the D* device by optical but I see nothing about the HDMI connection directly to the TV set. I see you're a Vikings fan, located in Minnesota?

Rich

17. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    This was my response to bypassing my Marantz. (Direct to TV) I’m in Iowa.

The one test I did the dropouts were still there but much less pronounced. I don't notice any issue on genie clients but I also rarely watch them. I have Apple TV and an Oppo Blue Ray and they both work through my Marantz flawlessly so I don't suspect any issue with it.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Thanx, that's clear. Your location makes me think it's a regional thing. I just don't see these issues.

Rich

19. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    It's not regional, Believe Me.

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm beginning to think it's not in the NYC area, but the rest of the country. I just don't see the pixelations or the audio dropouts here.

Rich