1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey DISH, Pump Up The Volume!!!

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by dlt, Feb 25, 2013.

1. dlt

dlt Legend

Feb 21, 2007
    Ordered Sinister tonight on DISH on Demand, the volume is so low, we had to turn our TV all the way to hear it good. This was a problem before that we noticed with another DOD movie.

2. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Feature films have a wider audio dynamic range than regular broadcast and cable networks. The regular channels employ audio processing that give the effect of pumping up the volume at the expense of dynamic range.

Wider dynamic range gives you the same kind of sound that you would experience in a theater.

3. FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    I have noticed a wide range of volumes between outputs on my 722 for a very long time. I have had an analog/optical (digital) 7.1 receiver since 2000 connecting to it from a DISH box via Optical. Even after the CALM Act, volumes were all over the place even more as if the Act never existed. Matter of fact I though that the levels were louder after. A couple of weeks ago I installed a new 9.2 HDMI receiver that has all the new codecs. I am now noticing that this new piece is a lot less apt to "color" the signal. But one thing I noticed before was that when there was a stereo feed the audio was very low. Multichannel loud. Like a program (The Daily Show - Stereo - Low) and a commercial (Multichannel - Loud). Now with the HDMI feed I have noticed that audio even though it's the same diffrence in audio types, the levels fed through the HDMI are pretty much even. Even with Audio Leveling turned off. So the summation is that, as far as I have seen, depends on the type of audio is available with that particular program and how you have your DISH device hooked up to whichever device you are using to produce the audio.

Just my personal observations.

. . . fb

4. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    As I mentioned elsewhere, I maintain a SeniorTV system with around 40 D* receivers feeding modulators to make a small cable tv system.

Haven't heard any comments about specific channels with excessive variation in volume, but I do hear about channel to channel variations in volume. The modulators (MICM series) have a little rheostat for volume, and I'll go adjust one or two occasionally. Not sure what happens to make one channel louder or softer, but it happens once in a while.