1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey Everyone

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by SBacklin, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Dec 7, 2008 #1 of 15
    SBacklin

SBacklin Legend

Sep 14, 2005
    Right now, my SD dish is on a tripod aimed at 101. I just bought a new HD TV. Now, from what I can gather, I can get my regular SD & HD programming from 99, 101 and 103....if I don't need international or even sports stuff. I want to keep D* but, the issue of mounting the dish seems to be an issue. Will the installers bring a tripod capable of holding the necessary dish for HD? I would appreciate some info. D* can't seem to make up its mind.

2. Dec 7, 2008 #2 of 15
    Clemsole

Clemsole Godfather

Sep 8, 2005
    Washington...
    They should just replace your old dish with the new dish and realign it for all the channels.

3. Dec 7, 2008 #3 of 15
    SBacklin

SBacklin Legend

Sep 14, 2005
    The thing is from what some info that I was told that the new dish is bigger/heavier and a normal tripod wouldn't hold it. I'm trying to find some definite information. Although, I'm having a hard time doing that.

4. Dec 7, 2008 #4 of 15
    Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Where exactly is the currently?

How is it anchored?

Mike

5. Dec 7, 2008 #5 of 15
    SBacklin

SBacklin Legend

Sep 14, 2005
    Hey Mike, my standard dish is mounted on a pole on the standard tripod with long pegs going through the feet to anchor the tripod to the ground. I live in Seattle, 98106.

6. Dec 7, 2008 #6 of 15
    Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Someone with experience installing a slimline on ground would be a better source.

The slimline is a large dish so make sure installers know before hand that it will be mounted on the ground.

I would expect that they will bring the necessary mounting gear as long as it's on the work order.

Mike

7. Dec 7, 2008 #7 of 15
    bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    When ordering, you should let the CSR know that a ground mount is required so they will hopefully bring the necessary supplies (roof mounts are typical). The installer may use a length of 2 in. OD pipe cemented into a hole in the ground instead of a tripod. An extra charge may apply for this non-standard mounting.

8. Dec 7, 2008 #8 of 15
    levibluewa

levibluewa Icon

Aug 13, 2005
    WA, OR, CA
    had the HD dish installed on a pole / cement without an extra charge because the roof eave blocked the los to one of the sats. What I found interesting is the difference between the pole mount and the roof mount. The pole mount featured no support arms and worked fine...but what about after a high wind!

I think the roof mount is "standard" no charge. If you want it mounted on a pole (2" OD) when a roof mount would work, probably extra$. I've seen mentioned an "adapter" that converts 1 1/2" mounts to the 2" mounts but NOT sure if that would work on a tripod.

9. Dec 7, 2008 #9 of 15
    bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I suspect that the main reason for the support arms (which Directv calls "monopoles") is because with a roof mount, the foot is only held by the lag bolts (hopefully into rafters) also the pole could move on the pivot where it is mounted to the foot. A pole won't have those issues, but it should be sturdy (with a fairly thick wall and a pin at the bottom to lock it to the cement so it won't rotate).

10. Malibu13

Malibu13 Lifetime Achiever

Sep 12, 2004
    N.E North...
  11. firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr Legend

Sep 17, 2008
    From what i have gathered .... they will only install a dish via pole mount if there is a line of sight issue for no charge.. Tripods are a grey area... i have heard of people getting them at no charge and i also know of people getting charged for them....

Your best bet is to call D* and explain what u want and ask them for the number to your local installer... call them up, tell them what you would like and ask them how they would do it and if there would be a charge or not.... hopefully that will also give them an idea of what they need (or may need) to complete the job without a second install date:hurah:

12. Teronzhul

Teronzhul Godfather

Sep 20, 2006
    Don't for a second expect them to arrive with appropriate mounting hardware for a tripod. Some HSPs (prior to the D* takeover) stopped installing on tripods entirely. The more difficult to align dish was causing far too many rollbacks on bumped/moved dishes.

A tripod designed for a standard dish will accept a 1 5/8" mast, but likely won't take a 2" OD pole which the slimline requires. Adapters are available via various sources (including ebay). Even with the adapter, depending on how substantial the tripod is it may or may not be sufficient to hold up a slimline dish.

I know there have been recommendations here for the Ronard heavy duty tripod that accepts a 2" OD pipe, but I don't recall the cost.

13. SBacklin

SBacklin Legend

Sep 14, 2005
    Well, I ordered and told them that a pole mount or a tripod mount is required. It cannot be attached to the building. I've seen them put international dishes on tripods and poles. Its in the order notes what is required. Hopefully, it works out.

14. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Report back how it goes.

The tripod is a DIY thing for tailgate parties. Once in a while you see an apartment owner run one out the door because they have junkies in the area.

Expect a 2" pole in concrete........about $75.00 to $100.00 plus the cost of digging in four coax lines. Expect to pay extra for the cable in conduit and also be responsible for cuts in the underground run.

Joe

15. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Just keep in mind. What the CSR puts in the notes say isn't necessarily what you will be getting. The only way to get something out of the ordinary is to have whatever you need ready and waiting for the tech and hope that he will be allowed (by his HSP) to use it.