1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hey I got incorrectly extended too! wohoo!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by gnahc79, Aug 15, 2009.

1. gnahc79

gnahc79 Godfather

Jan 11, 2008
    Just for fun I emailed dtv to see when my commitment ends. I had a defective HR2x replaced back on 12/27/08. I have the protection plan as well. Guess what:

wish me luck

2. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    It's clear that the DIRECTV systems do not distinguish between activation of NEW receivers and activation of REPLACEMENT receivers. In one sense, either type of RID is new because it was not previously on the account, but when a "new" receiver is replacing a defective receiver, especially when the customer has the protection plan, that "new" receiver should not extend the contract.

From the response showing a "careful" review, it's also clear that the agent did not notice that on the day the "new" receiver was activated another receiver was deactivated, and for sure the history should have revealed the customer received that "new" receiver as a replacement after the customer contacted DIRECTV about a defective receiver.

So two strikes: The data system is flawed and some agent's don't always do their homework.

3. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Strike three is that based on their own numbers they are no longer significantly reducing the cost of receivers in exchange for commitments. The receivers cost about $200...which is just about what they're selling them for. Now, if you throw in installation for free then there is a substantial discount being given.

4. gnahc79

gnahc79 Godfather

Jan 11, 2008
    Agreed. It's the applications, not the DB! I'm a database developer:D

5. gnahc79

gnahc79 Godfather

Jan 11, 2008
    update, well that was easy. However, I suspect the same error will be made if I ever do call in to cancel my service. I did a mover's connection back on 9/2008 and it did not trigger any extension it seems.

6. WrongCheese

WrongCheese New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    I never had Dish or DirecTV due to the fact I hate contracts with out locked in price for the life of the contract. And wow $320?
    That should be illegal.

7. dwilliam_houston

dwilliam_houston Mentor

Feb 6, 2007
    I wish I only got charged $320. I cancelled after being with them since 1996 about a month and a half a go because the offer from AT&T was too good to turn down. They then turn around and told me that I had 4 receivers leased which since I only ever had 3 TV's is impossible. In addition 3 of them I purchased brand-new from 3rd party vendor not directv. Anyway, my bill for 13 month left was $730.

8. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Something is missing because at most it should e 13 x $20 = $260. There must be more to the story or they made a serious calculation error (unless they are claiming you "lost" a leased receiver).

9. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Directv is the only place you can buy receivers from. All third party "purchases' (except he PRO unit) are leased.

10. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Yeah, it think that must be an ETF topped off with some non return fees.

11. dwilliam_houston

dwilliam_houston Mentor

Feb 6, 2007
    Is it 13 months * $20/receiver * 4 receivers? = $1020? I purchaseed these a few years ago at the place where they were giving a t-shirt away with purchase of HR10-250. Even they are leased eventhough Im paying hundreds of dollars for them??? You will think after being with them for 14 years, spending over a thousand dollars on my first single LNB Sony dish/receiver you would think that there would some forgiveness. Oh well...

12. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    It is $20 per month, not per receiver. The OP is being charged for not returning a leased receiver. I would think he could work that out with them and return the one that they say is leased. Or he could keep them all and pay them.

13. hiker

hiker Icon

Mar 1, 2006
    Not quite true. I learned this the hard way back 10/2007 when I made the mistake of deactivating a defective HR20 when I called in to order a replacement. When I called again to activate after receiving the replacement HR20, I unknowingly was given a new 2 year commitment.

I again needed a HR20 replaced earlier this year and did not deactivate the defective one until I received the replacement. This time when I called, I did the deactivation and activation at same time. No commitment extension this time. Apparently there is a special one step procedure that the CSR does for deactivation/activation that does not trigger a new commitment.

14. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    I just checked with a CSR. I also got extended somehow also.

Who do I call. Is there a CEO number? Or do you just call the normal number and hope for the best?

Only thing I cant think of is back in 2008 I had a switch replaced, it was covered under the paid in home directv warrant plan.

And an upgrade from an hr20-250 to an hr21-100 with the agreement then that no contract would be extended, they even put a line item on that months bill stating this.

15. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008

If you're not canceling then it won't have an impact on your account so it's up to you how much effort you want to put into this. If you go to cancel you can dispute it at that time.

16. MadMac

MadMac Legend

Feb 18, 2008
    Like the OP, I contacted D* just out of interest yesterday - the e-mail I got back confirmed the correct date, but interestingly, it referred to an ANNUAL agreement.

17. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    But it will have an impact even if I am not canceling

as I will not be eligible for the Free Showtime or what ever they are offering on your aniversary for good customers. Now I have to wait almost a year for the programing or new hardware upgrade discounts that everyone else is getting after there contract is up.

I suggest everyone email and check if you have done anything hardware wise to your account.

18. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island

A new programming committment has nothing to do with your anniversary date. The anniversary date is based on when you initially became a DirecTV customer, not when you had your committment extended.

Other than giving someone the ability to cancel with no cost, the only thing that being committment free can really provide, is leverage when attempting to get a discount on new equipment or new programming.

19. gnahc79

gnahc79 Godfather

Jan 11, 2008
    scottchez, a 2nd followup by email should be the next step. It seems like the first query on end of commitment date results in a very quick lookup by the CSR on the most recent activation. A real investigation requires more effort apparently.

btw, uverse just became available in my area, so I just wanted to know what options I have and when. After doing some research I found that the price is about the same and DTV has better PQ, so I probably will not switch.

20. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I have to agree with that. In another thread I just posted how I decided to inquire about my commitment end date. I was told it was set for 03/2010. It was phrased the same as the e-mail you posted above. When I sent an e-mail back stating that I couldn't remember doing anything in 03/2008 that would extend my commitment, I received another e-mail (again similar to what you received) that stated that I was in fact correct and did not have a commitment at this time.

So they apparently did not carefully review my account the first time like they said they did...

- Merg