Hide recorded shows?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Chardo, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chardo

Chardo AllStar

Apr 11, 2002
    Is there a way to hide recorded shows so they don't show up on the list? Sort of like a separate folder, in computer-speak.

Also, is there any harm in turning off the receiver when I turn off the TV? Will it still record scheduled shows? I always left my old Ulitmate TV DVR on, just in case.

Finally, I have a Panasonic (SC-HT900) home theater/DVD system. I set up the DVR remote to control the volume on the home theater system. Can I also set up the remote to turn it on and off? Also, I never checked whether the DVR remote will now control the DVD functions of the home theater. If the code I entered works for the volume, does that mean it should control all functions of the machine?

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    There is no way to hide a program you've recorded.

Turning off the receiver is just fine... it will still record. It goes into standby and does everything it would do when on, except output a signal.

I am 90% sure you cannot power cycle your audio system with the standard DIRECTV remote with one button. If you have it set up as a device (on AV1 or AV2) you can power it by pushing the slider to that and pressing PWR.

3. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    Sorry, you can't hide the xrated stuff you have recorded.
    :)

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Hide the shows from what list?
    It is best to turn the receiver off when not in use. It says as much in the manual should you care to read it.
    You'll have to test this yourself. Most all-in-one systems are problematic at best.

5. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    I'd have to go out a limb and guess the OP is referring to the "list" of recorded programs to watch on the DVR. What other "list" could he have been referring to ?

It says as much in the manual should you care to read it.
    What's your problem ?

6. Chardo

Chardo AllStar

Apr 11, 2002
    I see why he calls himself Harsh.

Very perceptive, Glenn :) The kids are getting old enough to understand those titles.

7. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    If figured it was "those titles" or else you didn't want your friends to know that you record OPRAH every day.

8. Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    In a related wish, I'd love the ability to group recordings into folders I would name. In our house, they might be as simple as HIS, HERS and OURS. I like docs, my wife likes chick flicks, and we both like dramas.

Imagine a computer in which the only folders were the ones the operating system named and that the user could not control.

9. Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    What I would like and have not figured out how to do is to control the INPUT on the RECEIVER via the HR20 remote.

I can and do control the volume and the mute of the receiver. I can and do control the volume, mute and input of the TV. All of this via the HR20 remote. But HOW DO I CONTROL THE INPUT SWITCHING OF THE RECEIVER via the HR20 remote?

10. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I suppose each one may be different, but for my JVC receiver, the number keys on the HR20 remote switch inputs. Otherwise, it's time for you to get a universal remote. Your typical $20 universal remote can usually do the job. Or you can get something really slick, like a Harmony, for $150 and up. If you're a cheapskate like me and like to dabble in electronics, consider a JP1 remote (just google it). A decent universal can be programmed to run macros which can turn everything on and switch inputs all with just one button press.

11. Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Wow. Thannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnk you!!

I would have never guessed that punching the number keys would have any meaning.

On my old ($2500 at the time) Yamaha receiver, the keys, thanks to your hint, allow me to get to switch to some but not all of the possible inputs. But with a little rewiring, I was able accomplish what I wanted to do. At some point in time, I'd like to get a new receiver but the current 11 year old one is fine for now. It supports 5.1 and does what we want.

12. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    I can't remember in which thread (think it was one about kids accidentally deleting programs or something - and kids remotes - yeah that was it), but I've suggested having the ability to login and logout multiple "accounts", like on a computer, where shows are recorded, revealed (and hidden in this case) depending on the account login that's active at any one time.

EDIT: Other option I suppose is to invest in a DVD Recorder, and burn those programs off ASAP ;)

13. stevieray

stevieray Mentor

Jan 13, 2008

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.